Swapping out the Neptune Apex Base Unit

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORP Probe input on the base unit (new version, not Apex Classic or Lite) was defective, Neptune sent me out a new base unit which arrived today.

That said, what do I need to do to swap my old base unit out with the new one? Will I need to go through the initial getstarted flow and reprogram everything?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had saved a backup of your config from the old Apex, the process would be simple by reloading that saved copy. But since you're asking after already receiving the replacement unit, I'm guessing you didn't save a backup in advance. For reference, here's a post I made with instructions how to save a backup: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/apex-users-public-service-announcement.622847/

If you don't have a backup, you will need to reprogram every module output since the new Apex will see them as new devices. Your best bet is to open the System Summary from your old configuration to see your old programming, then copy and paste into each output to reprogram them to match the original. I believe you can get to the System Summary when the old Apex is listed as Offline in the Fusion Apex list.

Sorry, but unless you prepared in advance by saving a backup to restore, that's your best option.

OP
OP
jvalentine

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef now that I have created a .bin backup file, what process will I need to follow to swap out the base units?

is it a simple plug all the probes and modules back in, the go back to the save/load screen and select load?

Or will I need to go through the initial Get Started setup, re-calibrate my probes, then load in the backup?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your current Apex, take note of each module AquaBus address. You can get this from the list of Modules.

Then power on the new Apex and connect the modules one by one in the same sequence so they should be assigned the same AquaBus addresses.

You only need to go through the basic setup to get the new Apex onto your network. Then connect to the local dashboard so you can load the backup file.

I honestly don’t know if the probes will need to be calibrated or if the calibration was saved in the backup. I guess you can tell once you see what their initial readings are. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
jvalentine

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef it has gone horrible to this point. I got the new base unit connected to my home wifi, it was solid orange, but can not access the log in for apex.local...i kept getting a blank grey neptune screen with no log in boxes. reloading the page sees it get about half way then stop (on a Mac)

i had to get my aquarium back up and running so i have reconnected the original base unit.

I am starting to get pretty frustrated with Neptune in general, this is the 3rd item I have had with issues and I just purchased the Apex on March 13th of this year (a grand total of 3 weeks). First it was a DOS, the right pump was defective out the box, had to cross ship. Then I got a DDR and the sensors are not working, i keep reading tons of people saying not to get the top wet?! Now, within 3 weeks, the base unit probe port goes out and again I have to cross ship (at a cost to me) and I am having issues trying to get a new part working properly. :oops: sorry, needed to vent.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef it has gone horrible to this point. I got the new base unit connected to my home wifi, it was solid orange, but can not access the log in for apex.local...i kept getting a blank grey neptune screen with no log in boxes. reloading the page sees it get about half way then stop (on a Mac)

i had to get my aquarium back up and running so i have reconnected the original base unit.

I am starting to get pretty frustrated with Neptune in general, this is the 3rd item I have had with issues and I just purchased the Apex on March 13th of this year (a grand total of 3 weeks). First it was a DOS, the right pump was defective out the box, had to cross ship. Then I got a DDR and the sensors are not working, i keep reading tons of people saying not to get the top wet?! Now, within 3 weeks, the base unit probe port goes out and again I have to cross ship (at a cost to me) and I am having issues trying to get a new part working properly. :oops: sorry, needed to vent.

Wow, sorry to hear you're having problems. On your Mac, try forcing a reload of the logon screen:
  1. Hold down the Shift key and click the Reload button in the Safari toolbar.
  2. Or, hold down the Command and Shift keys and press the R key.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi JValentine. I would love to know your outcome. I know this is an old thread, but probably a useful one for others. Please share the end of the story if you can. Thanks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back