Sweet Reef // ELOS Midi 36

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months back, I found this very neat tank locally. I could not for the life of me figure out the brand though! After a bunch of research and ordering a custom lid, I figured out it is a discontinued ELOS Midi, 36 gallons. It is a very neat tank and in great shape, however the stand has substantial water damage and needed to be replaced.

20210904_164140.jpg

So the next step, or I guess first step, was to the make the new stand.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand all sealed with 3 coats of floor varish so it is very water resistant. Moved it into my office as well! Going to start working on the rock structure. I want to be able to view it from the front and the left side as I have a chair between my tanks.

20210904_192516.jpg

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the aquasape going? Great seeing another MIDI on the forums!

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some current progress shots. I finished the aquascape for now at least. I also added some sump compartment lighting with some LED strips (I think they were for under kitchen cabinets). I also found that my testing gear fits well in the small space under the sump which would be wasted otherwise.

20211001_152147.jpg

20210924_140052.jpg

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the cycle last week! I am hoping to be able to move the livestock over from my fluval evo in the next couple weeks. The evo will be turning into another build thread for a Halloween themed reef, #spookyreef.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally filled the tank with water and OH MY the overflow is loud!!! If anyone has any tips to quiet that bad boy, I'm all ears!

20211003_221919.jpg
What overflow type is it? I would guess a durso, as it looks like the return comes out next to it.

If durso, you could play with it to tune it. A few of my tanks are durso and playing around with air hole size, adding some tubing and routing it around to muffle the airflow made them very quiet.

Or you could route the return over the back and use both holes for a full siphon and emergency drain. Tuning with a gate valve, you could make it dead silent.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow type is it? I would guess a durso, as it looks like the return comes out next to it.

If durso, you could play with it to tune it. A few of my tanks are durso and playing around with air hole size, adding some tubing and routing it around to muffle the airflow made them very quiet.

Or you could route the return over the back and use both holes for a full siphon and emergency drain. Tuning with a gate valve, you could make it dead silent.
20211013_090920.jpg

This is the back corner enclosed overflow/return box. I have contemplated turning the return into a secondary overflow and putting some sort of valve on the main overflow and then making some sort of new return line with pvc. I just don't think it will look very clean.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211013_090920.jpg

This is the back corner enclosed overflow/return box. I have contemplated turning the return into a secondary overflow and putting some sort of valve on the main overflow and then making some sort of new return line with pvc. I just don't think it will look very clean.
No stand pipe in the overflow box? Just a hole in side and then fed down to the sump? Sorry, not very familiar with these tanks, so curious how the water actually drains. If you can get a pic inside of the overflow, that would be helpful.

As for doing the valve, you would use your smallest diameter pipe for the main and then the largest for the emergency. Luckily, with your tank size, you do not need a very large turn over number.

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stand pipe in the overflow box? Just a hole in side and then fed down to the sump? Sorry, not very familiar with these tanks, so curious how the water actually drains. If you can get a pic inside of the overflow, that would be helpful.

As for doing the valve, you would use your smallest diameter pipe for the main and then the largest for the emergency. Luckily, with your tank size, you do not need a very large turn over number.
It is all completely enclosed. It is pretty bizarre.

20211013_092243.jpg
20211013_092332.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all completely enclosed. It is pretty bizarre.

20211013_092243.jpg
20211013_092332.jpg
After doing some digging, it appears these are usually very silent tanks. I think the key to this would be finding either the correct size return, or to get a controllable DC one and tuning the speed of the pump to make it match the drain. As for correct size, not sure on what that actually is.

Also, it appears you are missing the screen covers for the drains. Or are they just not installed in the pics?

OP
OP
Sweet Reef

Sweet Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some digging, it appears these are usually very silent tanks. I think the key to this would be finding either the correct size return, or to get a controllable DC one and tuning the speed of the pump to make it match the drain. As for correct size, not sure on what that actually is.

Also, it appears you are missing the screen covers for the drains. Or are they just not installed in the pics?
There is a screen in the overflow and I have added custom loc line return nozzles, I believe there are pics earlier in the thread

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back