SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EMERGENCY - I think

Hi Everyone, I need some help with this. @Big G @Flippers4pups @fishguy242 @DeniseAndy @NashobaTek @Qasimja

He was hiding in pvc today and only ate 1 worm.

My little guy got some sort of infection, i guess from all the stress. He has been in 2 ppm copperpower (hanna checker) so It shouldn't be ich or velvet. But maybe his immune system is run down from the copper.
It looks kinda fuzzy in person.
B6083680-FECB-48EA-9AC3-A3D491E53FCC.jpeg
C0CF365B-5243-489E-9352-50354D1C227F.jpeg
EE8A14C7-DE94-48CF-AB72-A3788959BDD2.jpeg
FF4F2E20-5B21-4CBB-9CA1-2E9983467D61.jpeg
B0AD3464-B729-44E5-975C-EBFC3485EEEB.jpeg

I have a methylene blue dip warming to tank temp now, but what should I use for this?

I have fluconazole if you think its fungus,
I also have general cure.
I can easily go get something else at LFS if needed
I'm making 5 gallons of water and set bucket up as quarantine to get him out of the copper if needed. I will get some rock out of my display sump for bacteria.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer..waiting on experts.10 min ,i'll start naming names,calvary is coming ;)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much!

I started my little guy in the methylene blue dip. He will be in there for 30 minutes.

He has been in thereputic copper for three weeks so I am thinking he should come out into copper free water.
Just wondering what to medicate it with.

PICS on Post# 22

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use copper or have any experience with its possible issues, but if they are kind of puffy, could be lypho which is caused when the immune system is stressed out. Experts should weigh in soon.
Do not medicate with copper treatment. Get out of copper first.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the spots are raised a bit, cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower like in texture, it's probably lymphocystis. Very common while treating with copper. It's a usually harmless virus similar to the human herpes. Feeding a mix of food + Beta Glucan can help the fish's immune system to suppress the virus that will be with the fish for the rest of its life.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the dip, some of the fluff was in the bag. Put it under microscope. Anyone have a clue?

EDIT: FIGURED THIS OUT. He vomited mysis while in the bath. These did not fall off him. Mysis has similar feathery appearance under microscope. Thank goodness.
A68F0DCE-4621-42F4-AE7A-E702B97A9D49.jpeg
A570FCDF-7B2B-41FF-A4CE-3DCCD4E4675A.jpeg
F01897D0-DC8D-4A00-B073-04677511C3A9.jpeg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the spots are raised a bit, cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower like in texture, it's probably lymphocystis. Very common while treating with copper. It's a usually harmless virus similar to the human herpes. Feeding a mix of food + Beta Glucan can help the fish's immune system to suppress the virus that will be with the fish for the rest of its life.

this is worth ..all of them
WP_20200614_14_20_44_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Big G
I'm gonna try to give him a black worm now with added beta glucan. I have it already.
I'm pretty sure this is immunity related as well...

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I'm thinking now... That he vomited breakfast and this is a piece of breakfast Mysis shrimp.
I put the mysis under microscope and it has same feathery appendages.
I feel like such a dummy right now, but I'm still learning.

So now i'm gonna mix some of these little monsters with beta glucan for him

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a great read, very informative, thank you. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever treat for flukes? Sorry I am late to the party— I’ve been helping a friend move and doing some home project work at my home.

Are the spots still there?

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever treat for flukes? Sorry I am late to the party— I’ve been helping a friend move and doing some home project work at my home.

Yes.
Background:
i did general cure in food for 2 weeks. Then 2 ppm copper power. Then I put in display and swim bladder burst when flameback beat him up. I put him back in the quarantine with copper. With Big G’s advice did a methylene blue dip and he got a little better, then another 2 days later.

He was doing so much better and finally swimming normal.

Then Today not eating as normal and issue with stuff on scales in pics above.

I did another dip in MB and into new water with no copper.

Tried to feed mysis and blackworms with beta glucan and he didn’t eat, I suctioned out.

I think he is stressed being in 5 gallon orange bucket. He now is not swimming right again.

I’m really bummed out. Any help is much appreciated. But I know it’s probably a long shot at this point.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually now I look in the bucket and he is swimming ok again.

This is such a roller coaster, I wish I had more experience to know what I’m dealing with.

tried to feed him again and he didn’t eat. I suctioned uneaten food out.

I don’t think I’m gonna try to feed until tomorrow.

I have black worms that I put beta glucan in with. It seemed like they were eating it so they should be gut loaded by tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 Update

My little guy is swimming fine today. Tried to feed beta glucan gut loaded Blackworms A few times and he didn’t eat. He looks interested, especially when the are squirming, but no luck. I even added a drop of garlic to a couple.

Last night I added some beta glucan to the water, but it clouded up the water so bad that I needed to use a powerhead and small micron filter sock to clear water up. I guess the one I have on hand must have too much filler in other ingredients (rice powder, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica).

I am starting a dose of general cure because maybe it’s an intestinal thing as well as lympho... He had kinda stringy poop the night before the skin issue and lack of appetite. I’m at a loss, but at least I know he ate like a pig for days prior to this.

I have another 5 gallon bucket of fresh saltwater mixed up in case the General Cure medication was the wrong thing to do.

I also have a 10 gallon nano that I could move him to, but am afraid to contaminate the live rock and coral in there with something, because I was planning on putting it into my 60 cube in a week or so.

Any guidance, suggestions, recommendations are more than welcome!

3849247B-88E9-4D65-A0E3-66F61F0283B0.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 Update

My little guy is swimming fine today. Tried to feed beta glucan gut loaded Blackworms A few times and he didn’t eat. He looks interested, especially when the are squirming, but no luck. I even added a drop of garlic to a couple.

Last night I added some beta glucan to the water, but it clouded up the water so bad that I needed to use a powerhead and small micron filter sock to clear water up. I guess the one I have on hand must have too much filler in other ingredients (rice powder, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica).

I am starting a dose of general cure because maybe it’s an intestinal thing as well as lympho... He had kinda stringy poop the night before the skin issue and lack of appetite. I’m at a loss, but at least I know he ate like a pig for days prior to this.

I have another 5 gallon bucket of fresh saltwater mixed up in case the General Cure medication was the wrong thing to do.

I also have a 10 gallon nano that I could move him to, but am afraid to contaminate the live rock and coral in there with something, because I was planning on putting it into my 60 cube in a week or so.

Any guidance, suggestions, recommendations are more than welcome!

3849247B-88E9-4D65-A0E3-66F61F0283B0.jpeg

I would move the rock and coral to the dt BUT I dont qt, get it in the 10 with that piece of rock, at 10g it will be easier to judge potential treatments imo.

Back