Swimming with the sharks

Up until a couple months ago I would vacuum it off (like cleaning a pool) and then backwash the filter. But since the algae peaked a couple months ago it has been growing less and less so I leave it for now. It doesnt look pretty but Im letting the system balance and hoping the chaeto and mangroves continue to take up more nitrates than the algae.
I added a video to the album that shows the tile as it is today. 2 months ago all sides were covered in cyanobacteria and without cleaning it has gone away on its own in at many areas and continues to dissipate.

Album
 
Last edited:
As for the mangroves, I have between 350-400 growing in the systems. 2/3 of them are in the pond and the rest in the tidepool.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new