• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Synergy reef shadow overflow, horrible!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 25 years of reefkeeping, this is one of the worst purchases I have made. Dont make the same mistake I did, shop elsewhere!

I purchased a new shadow overflow on May 30, 2018 for my new build. I have run diy boxes with bean plumbing for many years and wanted a better product.

A few weeks ago I installed the synergy reef shadow and filled the tank. I had the following issues:

1. Very cheap, flimsy material. I cant believe how thin and weak this product is.

2. While assembling the product, both u tubes cracked. One broke completely in half, the other split at the seams, about halfway across. I used proper size, fully chamfered pipes inserted less than 1/4 inch into the tubes. I had to glue the tubes together to continue the install.

3. The molded bulkheads were very inconsistent sizes. Two were so tight I could barely fit the chamfered, glued pipes in and I feared they would split. The third was so loose, I feared it would leak. I tried different pipe on each and it was definitely the tolerances on the box.

4. Once running, this overflow was extremely loud. The tank is in my basement and it was clearly audible from my upstairs bedroom, with the door shut. Noise came from both the weir and water traveling through the bulkheads. I'm running less than 1500 gph and it was unbearable. I adjusted the water levels many times , very little improvement.

5. Customer service was completely unacceptable. I contacted synergy and while they responded very quickly they offered no solution, no apologies, no indication they intended to help.

What they did offer was a rude and confrontational response, a list of reasons this was my fault and a ton hoops to jump through, while at the same time making it clear they were not willing or able to help.

I chose not to pursue this any further with them as I have no desire to continue a relationship with a company who treats its customers with such little respect and as much contemp as synergy reef does. I have no desire to spend my time arguing with them, so I went ahead and replaced the shadow with a competitors product which is running flawlessly and silently, straight out of the box.

Buyer beware!

Clark Emery

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminder,
This is a vendor feedback thread. Outside comments are not permitted. Only exception is posting a link to your own feedback thread in regards to the same vendor.
Thank you :)
Crabs

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Clark. As per the Crabs instructions to me I am posting the messages from our conversation. Hopefully this will show what really transpired.

You still have not even shown me that you own our product. We searched our database for you and you did not purchase it from us or register your product. We cannot send "free pipes" to people just because they say they are using our products. We provide some of the highest level of product support in this industry and our customers will back us on this. This is one reason why you do not see any bad feedback from our real customers. I ask that you please have this post deleted unless you can provide proof that you own our product as asked previously. This is not "jumping thru hoops" as you call it. It's standard procedure for any company.

Thank you,

Rick

85F5BEA4-9F24-4A82-BAE1-9FFF47DC2EDA.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090644.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090705.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090723.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090745.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090803.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090815.jpeg
Screenshot_20181026-090826.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs told you to post my personal Info. In violation of the r2r rules?

Posting of emails, text messages and private messages are allowed as long as ALL personal info (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) have been removed. This user agreement is subject to change to fit the communities best interest

Anyway, your response further validates my decision to cut my losses. You continue your attack on me saying I dont even own a shadow. That's hilarious given you have my receipt and know I purchased it from brs. Btw, they have handled this much better than you.

As for the hoops, you know that the receipt wasn't the issue. It was everything else you required before you would even acknowledge a problem, which you still wont. These other items are clearly being asked for so you can find a way to shirk your responsibility and avoid dealing g with your problems.

No negative feedback? Despite your efforts, there is a bunch. In fact, you are bumping a negative feedback thread here.

You posted incomplete parts of our conversation, posted personal info, continued and escalated your attacks, continued to deny a problem, all the while providing nothing resembling customer service.

I think you have made my point.

Buyer beware, this is how you will be treated if you buy a broken, unusable piece of junk from synergy reef.

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get a video of my broken shadow parts and of my shadow running "dead silent" posted on youtube so everyone can make up thrir own mind.

Wear earplugs, it is loud.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs told you to post my personal Info. In violation of the r2r rules?

Posting of emails, text messages and private messages are allowed as long as ALL personal info (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) have been removed. This user agreement is subject to change to fit the communities best interest

Anyway, your response further validates my decision to cut my losses. You continue your attack on me saying I dont even own a shadow. That's hilarious given you have my receipt and know I purchased it from brs. Btw, they have handled this much better than you.

As for the hoops, you know that the receipt wasn't the issue. It was everything else you required before you would even acknowledge a problem, which you still wont. These other items are clearly being asked for so you can find a way to shirk your responsibility and avoid dealing g with your problems.

No negative feedback? Despite your efforts, there is a bunch. In fact, you are bumping a negative feedback thread here.

You posted incomplete parts of our conversation, posted personal info, continued and escalated your attacks, continued to deny a problem, all the while providing nothing resembling customer service.

I think you have made my point.

Buyer beware, this is how you will be treated if you buy a broken, unusable piece of junk from synergy reef.
No, they were informed that conversations can be posted as long as it DID NOT contain any personal information.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they were informed that conversations can be posted as long as it DID NOT contain any personal information.
This is correct. Found in our terms of service:
“Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes:

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer, and/or dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. In the case of a vendor, buyer or seller feedback thread the posting of emails, text messages and private messages are allowed as long as ALL personal info (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) have been removed...”

Full TOS can be found here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/help/terms

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since synergy reef posted I do not own this product I am posting a portion of the brs invoice I sent him long before any postings here.

Also shown is a picture of my shadow where it belongs.
20181113_183013.jpg

Screenshot_20181129-234047_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol believe it or not it is fairly quiet in the garbage. I can hear the split u tubes rattling when the furnace kicks in, but thats it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back