System replumb

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
3,355
Reaction score
2,383
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my fiasco yesterday with my pump overflowing, temp screwed up, and almost running out of water in the sump...I want to replumb my system. I will be changing out a couple pumps, and their uses.

How long can a tank run without a sump or some sort of filteration? It will still have a pair of mp40 for water movement, so the tank wouldn't be stagnant.

Any advice here?
 
Are you completely removing all the filtration or will the skimmer still be attached and active during the rebuild? Personally, I've run a system without a skimmer (no socks either) for over a week and everything was fine and that was only because I need to replace the skimmer pump. I would maintain some type of an air stone in your tank and as much water movement as you can possibly muster if you're going to run it that long, maybe add bag of GAC in the DT also.
 
It is all coming out or disconnected. Skimmer pump is my issue as it overflowed the external skimmer and I lost 20 gallons.
Adding a airstone is easy. Heck I wouldn't even want to go a week, but glad I can if needed. Tank isn't stocked that much yet either, just would be a pain to try and catch the fish that are in there.
 
Plop your heater in give her some flow oh and as Alex states give it air and your good to go for quite some time.
The buildup of doc's is what you will want to watch for but you will smell it first :)
 
Okay, plumbing is mostly redone. I have the sump operational again using the vectra m1 pump as my return. If I had planned this I would have gone with the L1 for a bit more flow. Now just to set up the skimmer pump and reactors again.

Thanks for the help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new