T5 or LED?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both can grow beautiful coral. T5 is more cost effective and more guaranteed to grow compared to some led brands.
So,
Either you go with a known good led brand like ecotech or hydra.
Or double down on t5.
Do not go get one of these unknown or new led to save on cost.
That's what I would do

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really boils down to personal preference. I started in saltwater with T5's, and because of heat, energy usage and yearly bulb costs, flipped over to LED's....and I'm extremely happy.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both on different tanks and have to say, the one tank with a hybrid setup is my personal favorite. Leds are great and t5s are great, but mix them and now it is the best of both worlds. The shadowing I had with leds alone is gone with t5s added. I get uv from the leds and can exploit that to make things pop. Best of all, the heat from 8 bulbs blazing is gone. In my opinion the hybrid option is the way to go.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both on different tanks and have to say, the one tank with a hybrid setup is my personal favorite. Leds are great and t5s are great, but mix them and now it is the best of both worlds. The shadowing I had with leds alone is gone with t5s added. I get uv from the leds and can exploit that to make things pop. Best of all, the heat from 8 bulbs blazing is gone. In my opinion the hybrid option is the way to go.

As the Hybrids go, Where could I purchase them?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the Hybrids go, Where could I purchase them?
Same rule apply, buy a good LED or a good t5. Or a combination of good led and good t5.
Best combos are the one that are good led them add a retro good t5 to it.
I have 2 systems
One have kessil ap700+ t5
Second have Hydra 52hd + t5

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same rule apply, buy a good LED or a good t5. Or com imstiom of good led and good t5.
Best combos are the one that are good led them add a retro good t5 to it.
I have 2 systems
One have kessil ap700+ t5
Second have Hydra 52hd + t5

Thank you so much, I have been in the hobby for 2 yrs now and there’s so much more to learn and I would like to thank you for your help.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I have been in the hobby for 2 yrs now and there’s so much more to learn and I would like to thank you for your help.
Plesure is mine.
this forum is one of the best forums out there. Lots of talents.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Been using a hybrid for a few years now and love the benefits of it. You get the power and control ability of the LEDs and the blanket coverage and plug and go benefits of the T5's :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have LEDs only and i think they're fine for LPS/softies, but now that i'm into SPS i get a lot of shading despite having 2 fixtures on a 24" tank.

it'd probably help if i hung the lights so they could be higher off the tank, but having them only a foot off the water means some sps shade themselves a lot, so i'm considering a t5/led hybrid

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a ton of options. BRS is a good one and other large vendors are good as well. Most of the hybrid units are map priced, so no matter who you get it from, it should cost about the same. The exception is if someone has a sale that included mapped items. The top 3 right now for units are ATI, Geissman and Aquatic Life. I currently have an Aquatic Life 48” with 2x xr30s over a 90 gallon mixed reef and it has done well, but is not aesthetically pleasing to the wife, so a hood hides it right now.

I am about to convert a few other tanks once noopsyche releases their new unit. The look is super clean and I have been testing out one of their leds and love it so far. Plus the wife loves the way it looks lol.

But either way, the big 3 listed are all good units and should all work with any decent led made.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have LEDs only and i think they're fine for LPS/softies, but now that i'm into SPS i get a lot of shading despite having 2 fixtures on a 24" tank.

it'd probably help if i hung the lights so they could be higher off the tank, but having them only a foot off the water means some sps shade themselves a lot, so i'm considering a t5/led hybrid
Some of my best acros I grew under LED only. Caveat here ia, good LEDs,
It's never that simple to describe system performance by one factor.
94f6baa9e3d9701d79d3ea5529a3965f.jpg

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hybrid ATI Powermodule, one of the best plug and play hybrid fixtures out there. It’s been fantastic at growing colorful sticks. One of the best decisions I’ve made for my system. :)
5A689DE5-1274-4754-8376-B3734CA641B2.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my best acros I grew under LED only. Caveat here ia, good LEDs,
It's never that simple to describe system performance by one factor.
94f6baa9e3d9701d79d3ea5529a3965f.jpg

idk if you consider AI primes good LEDs, but that's what I have. i'm just saying, with how close i have them to the water, they shade a lot of sps, so in retrospect i think i would've preferred the t5 hybrid route or maybe hanging the lights so they don't shade quite as much

..i didn't say anything about system performance, not sure what you're getting at there

Back