T5 vs LED

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why when I take pictures from T5 only my photos are clear but when my LEDs are on it has lines like taking a picture of a computer monitor?
It could possibly be due to one of two things. First possibility is that leds produce far much more shimmer than t5s do. And second leds (depended on brand) use individual colors and try to blend them together after it leaves the fixture, whereas t5s are blended perfectly straight from the bulb. Let's get my good buddy @saltyfilmfolks on here, he's a photo expert in my opinion and may have a better idea :)

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with crabs and think that it depends on the LED. LEDs shine a more direct light, which I think interferes with the image of some photos. I notice that when I try to take pics of my corals that are directly under the puck of my LED, I have trouble getting the best color. But that is probably because I suck at taking pictures. :(

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why when I take pictures from T5 only my photos are clear but when my LEDs are on it has lines like taking a picture of a computer monitor?
My guess is that the LEDs cycle rate (likely 60hz) matches your camera. I've not had this issue but I cant think of anything else that would cause it.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning off the pumps when taking pictures? It could be the shimmer causing the issue and that would reduce the shimmer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could possibly be due to one of two things. First possibility is that leds produce far much more shimmer than t5s do. And second leds (depended on brand) use individual colors and try to blend them together after it leaves the fixture, whereas t5s are blended perfectly straight from the bulb. Let's get my good buddy @saltyfilmfolks on here, he's a photo expert in my opinion and may have a better idea :)
My guess is that the LEDs cycle rate (likely 60hz) matches your camera. I've not had this issue but I cant think of anything else that would cause it.
Yup. Shutter speed. But it’s not the 60cycles it’s the leds pwm I belive.

I’d try changing the shutter manually or bump the dimmer pot or slider.
Curiously , it almost never happens. And usually only under lower light. (Slow shutter)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back