Tail Spot Blenny discussion

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

New aquarist with a 55 gallon reef tank. Having a bit of an algae problem, regular doses of API algaecide used to control growth. However, I’m considering buying a tail spot blenny to mow down the algae. Compatibility with my corals and fish seems A-ok. I’ve compared them to the lawn mower blenny and I just like the colors and look of the tail spot more. Anyone have info on their feeding habits, growth, or a good place to order them from? I’m looking to get a bigger specimen so he’ll have a bigger diet and help with the problem more than a smaller specimen. Let me know! Any info appreciated!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use chemicals to try and control algae, you'll often end up having algae issues again if you ever stop dosing and they can also mess with the overall balance of the tank. A natural approach to nutrient export and good quality source-water will do wonders for algae choked systems.

The tailspot will probably eat some of the algae, but it is a little fish and definitely will not solve your algae problem. The blenny and a small army of snails and other cleanup crew members will help more but I would also try to figure out what's going on with your nutrients since they are the root cause to explosive algae growth.

All of this also depends on what type of algae you have. Any way you can post some pics?

OP
OP
Я

яєєƒ lιƒє

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Water source is a RODI system, should be alright there. My sump tank should take care of some excess nutrients as well. I’ve got a few blue hermit crabs for cleanup, but they haven’t snacked on the algae at all. I’m considering a trochus snail or two as well as the blenny. Any other cleaners you have info on? I’ll post some pics of the algae I’m dealing with. First pic is some green algae, it’s the most prevalent but I don’t have too much of a problem with that. Second, though hard to see, is a darker brownish/black algae that grows like crazy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually smaller specimens have a faster metabolism than smaller specimens. That being said, it's top size is small, so it's overall effectiveness against that much algae will be limited.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider a lawnmower blenny for your algae instead of a tailspot. I have a tailspot, and while he's probably my favorite fish, I really don't see him pick at algae at all. I don't have very much algae like that, but I have some I thought he'd go after and he doesn't. They are listed as herbivores, but he inhales any food I feed from flakes to reef frenzy to mysis. Overall, my clean up crew of hermits does a much better job of algae control.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a couple turbo snails and emerald crabs would clear that up. Fish wise I would say lawnmower blenny.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back