Tang ‘playing’ with frags

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I wonder if fishes do play with items or if this is something else.

So ive essentially given up keeping branching sps in my 210 as my tank as my tangs keep destroying them. My large desjardini bulldoze frags off of the rocks even with lots of swimming room (the frags are in a corner and not even in the way of the swimming room.

Here is the interesting part though. I see my blue tang ‘playing’ with the fallen frags. Picking it up and dropping it in front of the wave makers. Anyone had tangs that do this?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I wonder if fishes do play with items or if this is something else.

So ive essentially given up keeping branching sps in my 210 as my tank as my tangs keep destroying them. My large desjardini bulldoze frags off of the rocks even with lots of swimming room (the frags are in a corner and not even in the way of the swimming room.

Here is the interesting part though. I see my blue tang ‘playing’ with the fallen frags. Picking it up and dropping it in front of the wave makers. Anyone had tangs that do this?
No but honestly, you have one helpful tang trying to keep coral alive haha

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but honestly, you have one helpful tang trying to keep coral alive haha
My tangs frag corals that don’t need fragging… and the throwing of frags isn't helping either. Oh well, guess i can’t stock the tank with frags no more.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs frag corals that don’t need fragging… and the throwing of frags isn't helping either. Oh well, guess i can’t stock the tank with frags no more.
Maybe glue or putty?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe glue or putty?
Super glued them down, somehow i still see frags on the bottom. Sometimes the tang just breaks the coral into smaller parts. Fourth frag somehow ended on the other side of the tank. Not sure if my tang is just clumsy or what.

Sadly ive lost 2 of them and the other 2 i relocated. Just constantly face planted in the sand. Even a tall toadstool somehow got pushed over . Not sure if the tang is messing with me or what. Even the angels don’t stress the corals this much… (i know the tang did it since ive seen some of it happen and it happened before the angels were in the tank too).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glued them down, somehow i still see frags on the bottom. Sometimes the tang just breaks the coral into smaller parts. Fourth frag somehow ended on the other side of the tank. Not sure if my tang is just clumsy or what.

Sadly ive lost 2 of them and the other 2 i relocated. Just constantly face planted in the sand. Even a tall toadstool somehow got pushed over . Not sure if the tang is messing with me or what. Even the angels don’t stress the corals this much… (i know the tang did it since ive seen some of it happen and it happened before the angels were in the tank too).
Atleast you have entertainment for when people are round, this just shows not every fish is reef safe..

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atleast you have entertainment for when people are round, this just shows not every fish is reef safe..
I have now discovered my hippo tang likes to flash and ‘stab’ new corals. My euphillia survived it but I'm concerned about the new toadstool ive added. It circles the new coral just like a new fish addition and proceeds to stab it with its tail… hoping the toadstool survives this ordeal.

Gabe173

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread, but I'll add to it anyway. I am having a similar issue with my hippo tang. He deliberately grabs up coral frags from the sandbed or my racks and drops them on other corals (frogspawn and Duncans mostly) just tow watch them retract. He is constantly throwing them out. He also is tearing up (not eating) a particular colony of peach-colored Zoas. he isn't touching any of the orange or red ones though. Sometimes I don't notice right away and they're down there for a couple days. He's such a punk and has killed more than one piece over the 4 years I've had him.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 102 77.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back