Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am going to preface this by saying that I'm pretty sure this is probably one of the most ridiculous questions you have ever received. I figured I would ask your opinion anyway, because if you never ask you never know! :) One of my LFS' has a display 150g with three Yellow Tangs...do you think three yellows could work in my 180g? Here is the kicker which I feel makes the question even more ridiculous...wait for it...I already have a salfin, blue hippo, and a blonde naso. :eek: So that would be A LOT of tangs...anyways, I have really strong skimmer that is overrated for my tank and am on top of water changes, but I still think I know what the answer is. :p Like I said, just figured I would ask your opinion because if you never ask you never know.

The other question I have is concerning a different scenario. I have also been considering a purple tang. In my mind, this doesn't seem as ridiculous since the only other Zebrasoma is a Salfin, and Purples tend to be more aggressive. So I feel like the established salfin wouldn't give the new purple a hard time.

Any thoughts on my probably cringe worthy questions? :rolleyes: Thanks. :)

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot, the only other combo I had been thinking of trying would be adding just a yellow and scopas...is this any more reasonable? Or still not really? Sorry for all these questions on possible combos...just not sure exactly what will work/what I should try.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of tangs for a 150 -- I'm notorious for overstocking my tanks, but blonde naso are a pretty large fish, hipp for get quite large, so do sailfin.

Trio of small yellow tangs may stay small for a year or two and may work, or your sailfin may not allow any new zebrasoma.

A sailfin is more likely to take out a single purple addition. I would personally advise against trying this.

I don't know how many other fish you have but if all you had was tangs and you had a plan B and C in case of issues I suppose it's try worthy but it certainly wouldn't work long-term.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of tangs for a 150 -- I'm notorious for overstocking my tanks, but blonde naso are a pretty large fish, hipp for get quite large, so do sailfin.

Trio of small yellow tangs may stay small for a year or two and may work, or your sailfin may not allow any new zebrasoma.

A sailfin is more likely to take out a single purple addition. I would personally advise against trying this.

I don't know how many other fish you have but if all you had was tangs and you had a plan B and C in case of issues I suppose it's try worthy but it certainly wouldn't work long-term.

Thanks for the advice!! Oops I made a mistake, I actually have a 180g, though I know thirty gallons doesn't really make a difference haha. The sump is a 75 too, so there would be a bit more water volume, but you're right it is a ton of Tangs for sure as far as territory spots go. Thanks again!

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a tiny Hippo and a 4-5" Mimic to my 265 gallon. The Hippo was so terrible in quarantine, taking chunks out of the poor Mimic, that I had to divide the tank (it was 39 gallons). Although it isn't quite as bad now that they're in the bigger tank, I do see a bite out of the Mimic again. Would adding another tang help or cause more troubles? The only other fish in the tank are three clownfish.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a tiny Hippo and a 4-5" Mimic to my 265 gallon. The Hippo was so terrible in quarantine, taking chunks out of the poor Mimic, that I had to divide the tank (it was 39 gallons). Although it isn't quite as bad now that they're in the bigger tank, I do see a bite out of the Mimic again. Would adding another tang help or cause more troubles? The only other fish in the tank are three clownfish.
It would probably help, honestly. It's never a guarantee but that's not many fish, an aggressor can focus an awful lot on aggression. That focused aggression will be easily focused on one fish competing for food.

Add a couple more properly quarantined tangs, maybe a trio based on your tank size. :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably help, honestly. It's never a guarantee but that's not many fish, an aggressor can focus an awful lot on aggression. That focused aggression will be easily focused on one fish competing for food.

Add a couple more properly quarantined tangs, maybe a trio based on your tank size. :)
When you say to add a trio, do you mean a trio of Zebrasomas or any tangs as long as I add three at one time?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say to add a trio, do you mean a trio of Zebrasomas or any tangs as long as I add three at one time?
Trio of tangs. Trio of zebrasoma is my calling card, feel free to do it I have great luck but as always it can backfire

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54a1bbc631c29051c533c0f53f2725d9.jpg

Living on the edge [emoji33]

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here's an odd one for ya. I think it's been twice now I've noticed two different Tangs I have "biting" my foxface's upper spine. I've only seen it twice, but that's exactly what it looks like. Have you heard of this/why aren't the Tangs being stung? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong and it's just normal territorial behavior...it's just odd.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here's an odd one for ya. I think it's been twice now I've noticed two different Tangs I have "biting" my foxface's upper spine. I've only seen it twice, but that's exactly what it looks like. Have you heard of this/why aren't the Tangs being stung? Maybe I'm seeing it wrong and it's just normal territorial behavior...it's just odd.
That one stumps me! If they were stung I imagine they would stop haha!

Jpmumaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is almost depressing my powder blue almost killed a fox face today won't know for sure till morning. Am I gonna be battling this with him with "any" additions!!?

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is almost depressing my powder blue almost killed a fox face today won't know for sure till morning. Am I gonna be battling this with him with "any" additions!!?

Powder blues seem to be very territorial to not only tangs but other fish. Unfortunately you got a terrorists on your hands.

As an update to my situation, I will admit partial failure. The smallest of the Achilles died and was stuck in the mp60. I can't say that he was extremely harassed or damaged when I went to work. He ate, picked at rock etc but when I got home, he was in the pump. Since then, things have stabilized and everyone is getting along more or less. The big Achilles clearly rules and gives chance here and there, but no damage no torn fins and no fish stuck in corners.

(For now) final tally:

2 Achilles,
1 powder blue
1 giant blonde naso,
1 yellow,
1 purple
1 chevron

I am slightly considering a yellow belly blue but am undecided
4358852a0c895776088abefe127ac796.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will, unfortunately. I wondered if you would stumble in to this thread after your post yesterday. I read it was a blue tang which surprised me -- now that I know it was a PBT I'm not surprised in the least. Sorry, friend!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues seem to be very territorial to not only tangs but other fish. Unfortunately you got a terrorists on your hands.

As an update to my situation, I will admit partial failure. The smallest of the Achilles died and was stuck in the mp60. I can't say that he was extremely harassed or damaged when I went to work. He ate, picked at rock etc but when I got home, he was in the pump. Since then, things have stabilized and everyone is getting along more or less. The big Achilles clearly rules and gives chance here and there, but no damage no torn fins and no fish stuck in corners.

(For now) final tally:

2 Achilles,
1 powder blue
1 giant blonde naso,
1 yellow,
1 purple
1 chevron

I am slightly considering a yellow belly blue but am undecided
4358852a0c895776088abefe127ac796.jpg
I think your group of acanthurus terrorists (aptly put haha) will absolutely decimate a hippo, particularly a yellow belly. I don't see that working out for you at all and I think it'll escalate very badly very quickly.

My condolences on the smaller Achilles

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your group of acanthurus terrorists (aptly put haha) will absolutely decimate a hippo, particularly a yellow belly. I don't see that working out for you at all and I think it'll escalate very badly very quickly.

My condolences on the smaller Achilles

Which is why I was thinking out loud :). You are probably right and I should get off the tang train and move over to the large angel train

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I was thinking out loud :). You are probably right and I should get off the tang train and move over to the large angel train
I like where your head is!

I also do think that those acanthurus might even bully the nastiest of angels, best to add a few at a time! :)

My PBT bullied my 7.25" emperor tank boss at times!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back