Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the order I added my tangs and agree with most that has been said. My old FOWLR tank housed a blue tang and naso for almost 20 years with no issues. I sold everything off and donated the fish to start my current mixed reef. I now have 6 tangs and a Moorish Idol among other small clowns and cleaner and 6 line wrasses, this is how I did it in order of adding them. I waited 3-4 months between each addition.
1. Yellow tang was 1" now he is over 4"
2. Blue tang was tiny like 3/4" now is 5" added same day as the yellow tang
3. Mimic tang was also tiny 3/4" now 4"
4. Purple tang was 2" now 4"
5. Achilles tang was 2" now close to 5". This was intended to be my last tang, it's always been my favorite fish and eats and grows like there is no tomorrow and for over a year that was it them found my last fish.
6. 2" Chevron tang I could not resist. That was about a year ago. The Achilles aka welcoming committee ****** bag picked on him hard for about 3 weeks and then it stopped. No other tang has ever shown any aggression to new additions and the Achilles is the boss of the tank. He used to chase the Moorish Idol away from the Nori station so I added a second area and now I have no issues. I feed them heavy and often and do 2-3 sheets of Nori everyday and the tank is very peaceful. They have plenty of space and hiding areas to sleep but the Achilles and Moorish now share a large cave in the back at night that's kinda cool. I am all done adding fish and if the time comes to start removing them due to size or lack of space then the yellow and mimic will be first to go followed by the Chevron. I think with tangs heavy feeding, lots of hiding areas and LR along with excellent water quality and a large UV filter will go a long way in success. The Naso I had for 20 years recently died at the place I had donated him about 6 years ago and he was close to 14" long my guess he was 28 years the blue tang is still alive and about the same age.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for comments;) Recently received these fish to put in 2 tanks: 2 PBT, 1PBrownT,1 Yellow tang, 1 Magnificent Foxface, 3 clowns, 5 damsels, 1 Christmas wrasse, 1 Banghai Cardinal. Here's what I did for QTing- Those that were going into the same tank were QT'd together. No aggression between any of them while in QT!! Here's what is going on now in my 180g tank : Powders are not getting along with non-stop chasing, nipping, trying to slice...and continued for 48 hrs! I then caught the PBlT and its in a large Reef Gently box. It was breathing heavy and too tired to try to avoid the catch...the P Brown was not! He has been the aggressor. Even all day and still tonight, he's showing aggression to the Blue;Muted but of course is not striking any blows. He's staying right at the box;Rage There is a mature Purple Tang (king of the 180) and an adult Yellow in the tank. They have not shown any aggression toward the Powders, Foxface, clown and damsels. The Blue is doing ok (eating, normal breathing, etc but is on guard because of the p brown) but I'm concerned as the box does not give it the room that it needs, how stressed is it now, etc... Even worse, the 2 powders are the same size ( as well as the other PBT in another tank...who is very skittish of me still). He and the yellow tang-who's smaller are not having problems in their new home). Since both the P blue and Brown were introduced at the same time with the Foxface, etc...changing the rockwork does not sound beneficial (and would be a huge job). Lots of questions come to mind ... what can be done?, how stressed is the blue in the box and having the brown still showing constant aggression and not leaving?...If the brown does start to leave the blue, how many days do I go before introduction again?...Should I keep the blue in the box or put it in the QT tank again...alone? Geesh! I really thought with the addition of the Foxface and the others, that the Purple and Yellow tangs would help with any problems that arose between the powders, especially since they were fine in QT! ;Nailbiting;Watching:eek:

I added large floor mirror on one side of the tank when adding new tangs for a week or so. It kept my aggressive tangs so busy chasing themselves they ignored the new fish. It gave them a chance to acclimate start eating and find a safe spot.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to give that mirror trick a try. I wonder if my yellow tang would mellow out at all if he had to fight with himself all day. o_O

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting some opinions on aggression...looking to add a Chevron, Achilles, Dussumieri, and Gem to my 300DD...currently no other tangs...just some wrasses and anthias. I was figuring that if they all go in at once aggression would be limited.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting some opinions on aggression...looking to add a Chevron, Achilles, Dussumieri, and Gem to my 300DD...currently no other tangs...just some wrasses and anthias. I was figuring that if they all go in at once aggression would be limited.
I think you'd be fine. Good use adding together! :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would size differences matter a whole lot?
Not as much if added concurrently. The dussi I would buy small because they grow enormous. Achilles do best 3-5" in size with tear drop (sign of maturity). Other than that not really!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a tang expert! I currently have a blue hippo and a yellow for tangs.. Only other big fish is a yellow pyramid butterfly.

I want at least one more tang, I love the achilles but I hear they can be aggressive. I also like purple and clown. Thoughts? I just don't want them fighting. 240 gallon display

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a tang expert! I currently have a blue hippo and a yellow for tangs.. Only other big fish is a yellow pyramid butterfly.

I want at least one more tang, I love the achilles but I hear they can be aggressive. I also like purple and clown. Thoughts? I just don't want them fighting. 240 gallon display
The existing tangs may not tolerate --but your biggest issue will be disease. Hippo and yellow are able to fight off and become resistant to ich, and likely have if you've not treated all of your fish for this. Your Achilles will be like an ich grenade.

Clown tangs are a bit hardier but still very susceptible

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing tangs may not tolerate --but your biggest issue will be disease. Hippo and yellow are able to fight off and become resistant to ich, and likely have if you've not treated all of your fish for this. Your Achilles will be like an ich grenade.

Clown tangs are a bit hardier but still very susceptible

What about the purple?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the purple?
Purple are aggressive but if added afterward are usually OK, especially smaller specimen. They don't tend to hold permanent grudges, either. The biggest risk you have with them is adding other zebrasoma later, such as your black tang.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may, they're moderately hardy
You are my hero!

Took every bit of advice from rearranging my rock (hated to do it), using a mirror, acclimation box, and heavy feeding. End result? Added a kole tang and convict tang and other than some mild aggression from my Yellow Tang everyone is happy. All my fish are out and about more. THIS is the tank I have always wanted. Thank you for sharing your Tang knowledge!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are my hero!

Took every bit of advice from rearranging my rock (hated to do it), using a mirror, acclimation box, and heavy feeding. End result? Added a kole tang and convict tang and other than some mild aggression from my Yellow Tang everyone is happy. All my fish are out and about more. THIS is the tank I have always wanted. Thank you for sharing your Tang knowledge!

That's excellent! I'm so glad you're happy and t worked out for you! That's a neat mix of fish. Pics?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's excellent! I'm so glad you're happy and t worked out for you! That's a neat mix of fish. Pics?
I have most of my little frags in racks right now from arranging the rocks. Going to glue them in place tomorrow then will clean the front glass to get some pics. Seriously excited about getting to this point!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most of my little frags in racks right now from arranging the rocks. Going to glue them in place tomorrow then will clean the front glass to get some pics. Seriously excited about getting to this point!
I'm glad you're excited! I don't have ANY fish right now at all, or any running tanks :(

My 6 remaining fish are at a friends house in my QT tank while my home is built. I'm coming back, though!

To anyone who didn't know about my power outage (breaker), that killed 3/4 of my tanks off. I had several in QT that died that were slated to go in to the surviving unaffected tank (different area of house).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back