Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

In two days, my established blonde Naso would charge the Naso tangs box frequently on the first day, second day it tapered off. Only the purple tang paid any attention to the Chevron both released about two hours before lights out. My foxface decided to protest the release of the Naso, occasionally he will chase the blonde Naso. The chasing didn't last long, the little Naso is too fast I guess

4FordFamily and Brew12 like this.

2. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Glad it has worked out, acanthurus tangs are always the biggest issue with long-term grudges the rest seem to let up eventually, if they don't kill in the first few days.

Black Pearl likes this.
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Still need to do some serious tank clean up, but I wanted to prove that you could put 4 tangs in a 40B tank without any issues.

DSC_0062.JPG

Kidding!!! Kidding!!! It's a 72" long tank :D

4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Looks great buddy!!! Well done!

And LOL

5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks, couldn't have done it without you.

4FordFamily likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

Nah you would have been fine :)

7. Lonnie

Lonnie Active Member

good information from everyone. i'm setting up a new 150 and looking forward to multiple tangs. has anyone been able to keep a school of purple tangs together?

8. 4FordFamily

No but 3 or 4 could probably be done relatively easily.

9. Murica

Murica Well-Known Member

Well I was at my lfs and bought a blonde naso... Couldn't resist. Other than a little bullying from my yellow tang it's been doing great so far.

4FordFamily likes this.
  10. Fugs

Fugs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

@4FordFamily I have a small Zebrasoma veliferum (6-7cm max) and have been thinking of a Zebrasoma xanthurum, most likely smaller than my Sailfin but probably not by much. If I were to do this, do you recommend that the Purple is smaller or larger than the current Sailfin? Also on this, would it ease the introduction if I put a similarly small sized Zebrasoma flavescens at the same time or better to only introduce the Purple and see how I go?
    Sailfin has been in the tank for 1 month.
    I have another smaller tank as a backup to my display if I need to separate and reintroduce etc.
    Thanks!

11. 4FordFamily

I would add two instead of one to your sailfin. As far as size purple get particularly nasty as they grow so for for that reason I'd lean small. Sailfin can be surprisingly easy going, others can be h*** on wheels!

Fugs likes this.
  12. Fugs

Fugs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for your feedback, gives me some food for thought.

4FordFamily likes this.
  13. 4FordFamily

No problem! :)

14. ehutchby

ehutchby Well-Known Member

I've read most of the pages of your thread. thank you.
    I'm setting up a new 140g SPS dominated display tank. I've kept different tangs in different sized tanks for years. My favorite tang is the PBT, but don't want to go through the work of removing him from an SPS dominated system again in the future.
    I'm considering adding three small zebrasoma tangs to the system, with a family of colorful anthias and a wrasse. I understand it's hard to tell exactly, but would you add three yellow tangs versus two yellows with one purple. We also may build a much larger system in a couple of years. thanks for the thoughts.

Susanak6 and 4FordFamily like this.
  15. 4FordFamily

I personally feel that three yellows is a disaster just waiting. You're better off adding three zebrasoma of different species. Maybe a yellow scopas, a yellow, and a purple. Make the true yellow much smaller than the yellow scopas. I think that'll accomplish the look you're going for.

Add them at the same time :)

I would avoid acanthurus, but especially a PBT. IMO a 150 is the minimum tank size because of the 6 foot footprint and SOME vertical space. 125 doesn't cut it.

I hope this helps :)

marco2 likes this.
  16. Thomashtom

Thomashtom Well-Known Member

17. 4FordFamily

I would add them together but the fowleri and dussumeri may not get along because of their similar appearance and they share the same Genus.

18. Thomashtom

Thomashtom Well-Known Member

Thanks I was hoping the size difference and size of tank would be in my favo? What would you think about putting Dussemeri in first and the fowleri in an acclimation box for a few days? The problem is once I put them it will be really hard to catch them again. Thanks

19. ehutchby

ehutchby Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice!

4FordFamily likes this.
  20. 4FordFamily

I personally would not recommend it. Two acanthurus tangs and lots of space is a bad mix. I don't see it ending well. If you try it, have a plan B

Draft saved Draft deleted