Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily So I am in the process of setting up a 120g (4 feet) and am planning on housing 2 tangs. This tank will be wrasse dominated so the tang additions can't be overly aggressive. A 3" Lamarck angel will also be added.
Currently the tangs I'm considering include: kole, tomini, scopas, purple, yellow, 2 spot. The front- running pair is currently the Tomini/ yellow combo.
Any insight? (I'm open to other tang species reccomendations as well)
All fish will be treated with CP in a 46g quarantine.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily So I am in the process of setting up a 120g (4 feet) and am planning on housing 2 tangs. This tank will be wrasse dominated so the tang additions can't be overly aggressive. A 3" Lamarck angel will also be added.
Currently the tangs I'm considering include: kole, tomini, scopas, purple, yellow, 2 spot. The front- running pair is currently the Tomini/ yellow combo.
Any insight? (I'm open to other tang species reccomendations as well)
All fish will be treated with CP in a 46g quarantine.
Your selections should work fine provided they're added at the same time. I find Kole to be a more handsome choice with a stark contrast but that's subjective. Either selection should work fine! :)

ehutchby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up question. You suggested that I should carefully add a yellow, purple and a scopes together. What about a yellow, purple and black zedrasoma tangs added at the same time, all about the same size? Thanks.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up question. You suggested that I should carefully add a yellow, purple and a scopes together. What about a yellow, purple and black zedrasoma tangs added at the same time, all about the same size? Thanks.
If added simultaneously it increases your odds. I'd consider it largely the same odds of success. Both scopas and black tangs are relatively docile, for zebrasoma tangs. The purple will probably rule. If it were me I'd shoot for the black to be the largest of the trio.

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 171g (60x30x22) so it's a shorter but deeper footprint which I know isn't ideal for tangs.

My tank mates now are (3) Chromis, (2) Black ice clowns, wrasse, flame hawk and flame, potters and coral beauty angels arriving together this weekend.

I might add a groups of about (5) Chalk basslets too

I want the final fish to be a group of tangs. I really want a white tail bristletooth but would like at least 1 more tang as well and thought a blonde naps might be a good option.

Is adding 2 a no no and tangs should be in odd groups or does it matter? I'll add them at the same time but trying to decide if I can make 3 work or just stick with 2 to play it safe

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 171g (60x30x22) so it's a shorter but deeper footprint which I know isn't ideal for tangs.

My tank mates now are (3) Chromis, (2) Black ice clowns, wrasse, flame hawk and flame, potters and coral beauty angels arriving together this weekend.

I might add a groups of about (5) Chalk basslets too

I want the final fish to be a group of tangs. I really want a white tail bristletooth but would like at least 1 more tang as well and thought a blonde naps might be a good option.

Is adding 2 a no no and tangs should be in odd groups or does it matter? I'll add them at the same time but trying to decide if I can make 3 work or just stick with 2 to play it safe
Adding two may be OK but a naso will be way too large for that tank, unfortunately. I'd choose the bristletooth and a zebrasoma (other than sailfin tangs). :)

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 white tails is asking for trouble too huh? I would love to just have 2 of them or a yellow eyed kole and the white tail.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 white tails is asking for trouble too huh? I would love to just have 2 of them or a yellow eyed kole and the white tail.
I wouldn't try it. Odds are not in your favor. A slight chance if added at the same time but still not a wise risk, IMO

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you recommend as a second tang?
Yellow, scopas, purple, black, etc.

A different type of bristlooth MAY work as well, but that's a bit riskier.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my clown! Purple and yellow! And they love each other! Introduced roughly at the same time and same sizes! Also I keep them fed

IMG_8266.JPG

john1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I wish I would have seen this thread three days ago. I added a powder blue a week ago and tired to add a powder brown this week and the blue did not like that. So I was able to get the brown back out tonight but he took a lot of damage. I have him hanging out in my sump in the fuge for now until I figure out what to do. Maybe a acclimation box to all him to have his presence known but won't take any damage. Or find a new home for him.

Petr_Patter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to possibly add an Achilles Tang to my tank and looking for some advice. The only large fish that I have are a Purple Tang and a Foxface. The PT has been in the tank for over a year is this a bad idea to try to add a Achilles to the mix?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to possibly add an Achilles Tang to my tank and looking for some advice. The only large fish that I have are a Purple Tang and a Foxface. The PT has been in the tank for over a year is this a bad idea to try to add a Achilles to the mix?
Depends on the fish and size of tank. Ideally I wouldn't add it by itself, the purple tang is generally a pretty aggressive fish.

Ugh I wish I would have seen this thread three days ago. I added a powder blue a week ago and tired to add a powder brown this week and the blue did not like that. So I was able to get the brown back out tonight but he took a lot of damage. I have him hanging out in my sump in the fuge for now until I figure out what to do. Maybe a acclimation box to all him to have his presence known but won't take any damage. Or find a new home for him.

Unfortunately I don't see that working out. Rehoming is probably your best bet.

Petr_Patter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 4FordFamily
Is a 150 gallon large enough for a Achilles Tang?
And if I add the Achilles would it help to add a Whitetail Bristletooth at the same time. or Just put the Achilles in a Large Acclimation Box?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 4FordFamily
Is a 150 gallon large enough for a Achilles Tang?
And if I add the Achilles would it help to add a Whitetail Bristletooth at the same time. or Just put the Achilles in a Large Acclimation Box?
150 is probably too small I consider the minimum 180 but that's your call.

Adding with another tang would improve odds, so too would an acclimation box :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back