Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Thank you for the post. Currently about to embark on a new chapter of keeping an aquarium. My desire is to keep many varieties of Tangs. Then I read to an extent this is not advised. Looking at pictures contradicts the advise. More reading here reveals a quarantine nightmare. Add one fish at a time, introduce all at once. So many contradictions. Previously I had a Naso, Sailfin, Yellow, Powder Blue and Hippo tangs. A tomato clown as well and the tomato clown was the nastiest of them all! All above added one at a time many years ago. Will end up with corals I would guess. My big question is this:
    250 gal tank 78Lx31Dx24H with lots of hiding places. Do I drop a group of 4 to 6 all at once or go down the line from least to most aggressive? Need to dial in my choices. Probably something like:
    Naso
    Sohal
    Powder Blue
    Powder Brown
    Acillies
    Kole
    Sailfin
    Fowleri
    Purple
    Yellow
    Atlantic Blue
    Hippo
    So with some research and input from you if you would. Is a new tank an issue since the algae isn't there? I intend to grow macro algae and harvest for food as well as other recommendations.

2. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

A new tank is an issue due to parameter stability -- many of these tangs are intolerant of this.

The fowleri get massive. Sohal, naso, Atlantic blue, and hippo get pretty large as well.

With great nutrient export and proper quarantining that is possible but eventually they'll outgrow the tank.

I'd do batches of fish once established. I'd start with yellow, sailfin, and purple.

Then Kole, hippo, naso.

Then fowleri, Atlantic blue, and sohal.

Then powder brown, powder blue, Achilles. Very important that these three are added together and last.

You'll need to skim for a 500 gallon tank, and have multiple nutrient export methods. Feed nori to keep them fed with algae. To get them eating it, rubber band it to rocks as this mimics their natural grazing the most, easing the transition. :)

Black Pearl and Whipples like this.
  3. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Before I get going strong I will add a few smaller hardier fish. Will get tank settled in. Sump is good sized and has refugium. Will have a second refugium hopefully producing lots of macro algae and additional filtration. It will be tough as my little girl wants fish in her big tank. We will go slowly. It is great of you to take the time and interest to educate and provide assistance.

4. Brogratz

Brogratz Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

If I wanted a PBT, would you recommend that be my last fish to add? I was thinking about white tailed bristletooth tang, PBT and purple tang. Thanks for this write up!

5. Roberto Toala

Roberto Toala Well-Known Member

Ok so i kind of need some advise, i currently have two tangs in my tank a sailfin and a blue hippo, plus other smaller fish, like a valentini puffer and a a goby.

Now im thinking of adding an emperor an orange shoulder, and a fiji puffer, maybe not the puffer, for a second tang.

The boss of my tank is the sailfin,

What do you guys recommend. I can build an acclimation box, or they would be ok since im adding two tang looking fish.

6. Whipples

Whipples Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Can we get the dimensions of your tank please? would really help out in the recommendation process :)

Acclimation boxes are helpful no matter what, I highly recommend them!

7. Roberto Toala

I have a 120 long its 60”x 24”x 18”

Whipples likes this.
  8. Roberto Toala

Sorry about that, i did not think about it, in the future i want to go up to a 220, or 180.

Whipples likes this.
  9. Roberto Toala

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the is not that clear but they are not too big.

And this pic is of the ones i saw in my LFS

[​IMG]

10. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Acclimation box for sure

11. Roberto Toala

Ok ill go ahead and start building it this weekend, i just need to go get some silicone

12. tcoyle

tcoyle Well-Known Member

I have a friend that needs to sell his fish. I am looking at picking up his Magnificent Fox Face and Powder Blue Tang. Both have been properly QT'd with 30 days of Copper. I am adding them to my 120 gallon tank with a Tomini Tang, Solar Wrasse, Oscelaris Clownfish, and purple spotted goby. My worry is the Tomini and Wrasse are both equally bullies towards each other, but have figured it out over the past year. How much aggression from the Powder Blue should I expect as I hear he is a bully of his current tank. Is the risk worth it? I need to add more fish as my bio load is really low and adding these two would surely help.. Any thoughts or tips would be great.

13. Newt0075

Newt0075 Member

Can I ask what size tank this is?

Draft saved Draft deleted