Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the post. Currently about to embark on a new chapter of keeping an aquarium. My desire is to keep many varieties of Tangs. Then I read to an extent this is not advised. Looking at pictures contradicts the advise. More reading here reveals a quarantine nightmare. Add one fish at a time, introduce all at once. So many contradictions. Previously I had a Naso, Sailfin, Yellow, Powder Blue and Hippo tangs. A tomato clown as well and the tomato clown was the nastiest of them all! All above added one at a time many years ago. Will end up with corals I would guess. My big question is this:
250 gal tank 78Lx31Dx24H with lots of hiding places. Do I drop a group of 4 to 6 all at once or go down the line from least to most aggressive? Need to dial in my choices. Probably something like:
Naso
Sohal
Powder Blue
Powder Brown
Acillies
Kole
Sailfin
Fowleri
Purple
Yellow
Atlantic Blue
Hippo
So with some research and input from you if you would. Is a new tank an issue since the algae isn't there? I intend to grow macro algae and harvest for food as well as other recommendations.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the post. Currently about to embark on a new chapter of keeping an aquarium. My desire is to keep many varieties of Tangs. Then I read to an extent this is not advised. Looking at pictures contradicts the advise. More reading here reveals a quarantine nightmare. Add one fish at a time, introduce all at once. So many contradictions. Previously I had a Naso, Sailfin, Yellow, Powder Blue and Hippo tangs. A tomato clown as well and the tomato clown was the nastiest of them all! All above added one at a time many years ago. Will end up with corals I would guess. My big question is this:
250 gal tank 78Lx31Dx24H with lots of hiding places. Do I drop a group of 4 to 6 all at once or go down the line from least to most aggressive? Need to dial in my choices. Probably something like:
Naso
Sohal
Powder Blue
Powder Brown
Acillies
Kole
Sailfin
Fowleri
Purple
Yellow
Atlantic Blue
Hippo
So with some research and input from you if you would. Is a new tank an issue since the algae isn't there? I intend to grow macro algae and harvest for food as well as other recommendations.

A new tank is an issue due to parameter stability -- many of these tangs are intolerant of this.

The fowleri get massive. Sohal, naso, Atlantic blue, and hippo get pretty large as well.

With great nutrient export and proper quarantining that is possible but eventually they'll outgrow the tank.

I'd do batches of fish once established. I'd start with yellow, sailfin, and purple.

Then Kole, hippo, naso.

Then fowleri, Atlantic blue, and sohal.

Then powder brown, powder blue, Achilles. Very important that these three are added together and last.

You'll need to skim for a 500 gallon tank, and have multiple nutrient export methods. Feed nori to keep them fed with algae. To get them eating it, rubber band it to rocks as this mimics their natural grazing the most, easing the transition. :)

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get going strong I will add a few smaller hardier fish. Will get tank settled in. Sump is good sized and has refugium. Will have a second refugium hopefully producing lots of macro algae and additional filtration. It will be tough as my little girl wants fish in her big tank. We will go slowly. It is great of you to take the time and interest to educate and provide assistance.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I wanted a PBT, would you recommend that be my last fish to add? I was thinking about white tailed bristletooth tang, PBT and purple tang. Thanks for this write up!

Roberto Toala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i kind of need some advise, i currently have two tangs in my tank a sailfin and a blue hippo, plus other smaller fish, like a valentini puffer and a a goby.

Now im thinking of adding an emperor an orange shoulder, and a fiji puffer, maybe not the puffer, for a second tang.

The boss of my tank is the sailfin,

What do you guys recommend. I can build an acclimation box, or they would be ok since im adding two tang looking fish.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get the dimensions of your tank please? would really help out in the recommendation process :)

Acclimation boxes are helpful no matter what, I highly recommend them!
Ok so i kind of need some advise, i currently have two tangs in my tank a sailfin and a blue hippo, plus other smaller fish, like a valentini puffer and a a goby.

Now im thinking of adding an emperor an orange shoulder, and a fiji puffer, maybe not the puffer, for a second tang.

The boss of my tank is the sailfin,

What do you guys recommend. I can build an acclimation box, or they would be ok since im adding two tang looking fish.

Roberto Toala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ca16dd3522e1247b69fd0fb5b2ef2ba6.png

Here is a pic of the is not that clear but they are not too big.

And this pic is of the ones i saw in my LFS

8fd22d060d42ce29a0190e1a43239762.jpg

Roberto Toala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill go ahead and start building it this weekend, i just need to go get some silicone

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that needs to sell his fish. I am looking at picking up his Magnificent Fox Face and Powder Blue Tang. Both have been properly QT'd with 30 days of Copper. I am adding them to my 120 gallon tank with a Tomini Tang, Solar Wrasse, Oscelaris Clownfish, and purple spotted goby. My worry is the Tomini and Wrasse are both equally bullies towards each other, but have figured it out over the past year. How much aggression from the Powder Blue should I expect as I hear he is a bully of his current tank. Is the risk worth it? I need to add more fish as my bio load is really low and adding these two would surely help.. Any thoughts or tips would be great.

Newt0075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with the OP suggestions...I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my second tank but thru the years I've learned that the most important key to taming their aggression is heavy feeding...especially when introducing new fish. I feed sometimes up to 10x a day for the first couple of weeks...

Here's my tang addiction...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Can I ask what size tank this is?

Ryan Souza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody chime in please. When to draw the line with tang aggression, the powder blue i added after my purple ia bigger, and ia holding his own, but the purple will not leave him alone. He has been eating frozen food and nori just fine. Do not want a murder scene!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody chime in please. When to draw the line with tang aggression, the powder blue i added after my purple ia bigger, and ia holding his own, but the purple will not leave him alone. He has been eating frozen food and nori just fine. Do not want a murder scene!
How long has this been going on? I find that most zebrasoma tangs eventually let up and forgive and forget. Powder blue, powder brown, Achilles, and other more aggressive acanthurus tangs on the other hand almost never let up until someone is dead. Permanent grudges if they last more than a week or two, so be glad you don’t have the inverse situation!

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this been going on? I find that most zebrasoma tangs eventually let up and forgive and forget. Powder blue, powder brown, Achilles, and other more aggressive acanthurus tangs on the other hand almost never let up until someone is dead. Permanent grudges if they last more than a week or two, so be glad you don’t have the inverse situation!
Same here .. purple and black tang would not leave my yellow alone .. sailfin wouldn’t leave my black tang alone .. Naso wouldn’t leave my vlamingi alone .. now they school and eat together .. don’t ask .. tangs are weird that’s why I love them

Last edited:

Ryan Souza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! its been 12 hrs or so, it wasnt too bad at the beginning, it has since escalated, each one has about 3 or 4 tears in their fins.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! its been 12 hrs or so, it wasnt too bad at the beginning, it has since escalated, each one has about 3 or 4 tears in their fins.
That’s pretty serious, but so long as no massive gashes you may still be OK.

You should add some mirrors to the side of the tank and keep the lights off for a couple days.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty serious, but so long as no massive gashes you may still be OK.

You should add some mirrors to the side of the tank and keep the lights off for a couple days.
My Atlantic tang had a gash on his side but has since healed .. don’t know What it was from ...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back