Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Adding one tang to another established tang is usually a bad idea. I’d use a social acclimation box or be prepared to catch the chocolate until the purple is established. Chocolate aren’t severely aggressive like other acanthurus tangs but they’re not docile, either.

2. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I am returning to the hobby after being away for a long time. Previously I had a 125 with a Naso, Yellow, Hippo and Powder Blue. All added individually with no issue.

Currently I am collecting or stocking my 250. All mine are new to the tank. I have a yellow, scopas, sailfin, purple and hippo added in that order. In pairs except Sailfin. All are smaller specimens except Yellow and Purple. Purples don’t like same shape. Same as scopas and yellow as they are all same shape. The purple and yellow were at each other for about 12 hours. Now they are fine.

From my limited experience and observations I would add 2. The purple and another you may like. 4Fordfamily certainly has lots of experience and would look to his advice. You could always try the purple on its own and if doesn’t work you can sump it if that’s an option.

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. Ryan Souza

Ryan Souza Member R2R Supporter

Just want to give mad props to @4FordFamily for saving my tangs, everyone has regenerated their tears and are coexisting just fine.! Thanks!

4. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Great article !!! Very informative!!

5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks sir!

Jason mack likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

I’m so glad it’s all panning out, friend!

Jason mack and Ryan Souza like this.
  7. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Please ......!!!! I’m no sir ... :p:D:D:D

8. 4FordFamily

Well, me either!

Jason mack likes this.
  9. tweeter

tweeter Well-Known Member

Do you think that I might get lucky if I ad two different tangs at the same time with my chocolate, or should I give up on the idea of adding another tang (or two) altogether?

10. tweeter

tweeter Well-Known Member

Thanks!

11. 4FordFamily

It’s possible, what size tank?

If you can social acclimation box it or sump your chocolate worst-case scenario it may be possible depending on what tangs you add and the size of the tank.

12. 4FordFamily

That's awesome!

13. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

@4FordFamily, some advice please.

My tank is 72x24 and I currently have only one tang a Purple. I added him initially with a Gold Rim that was about the same size. They went through QT together with out any issues. The Purple was obviously dominate but there was zero physical interaction. They went to the DT and continued to co-exist without problems.

Then, a couple of months ago I went away on vacation. I had my daughter feed the tank and I purposefully put daily rations of food in individual plastic bags and decreased my feeding since there was no one there to do any regular maintenance. I also didn't have her feed nori because she wasn't very comfortable doing it. When I got back the Gold Rim had every fin ripped and the Purple was harassing him every second. I removed the Gold Rim but he did not survive the night.

I would like to add another tang if possible. #1 what species would you recommend #2 If I remove the purple to another tank for a few weeks when I introduce the new tang, how likely is it to help? #3 should I just forget about a second tang?

14. 4FordFamily

Unfortunately, because you now have a tang that knows how much damage it can do, new tangs are at a higher risk. As far as types to try, bristletooth may work. A small powder blue might get the job done for a couple years and they’re pretty nasty, but still the PT may not allow new tangs. Adding a bristlooth and a pBT may spread aggression better.

Yes, sumping the PT may help quite a bit!

15. Reef4Rose

Stocking is well underway and seems to be harmonious. Here is the list:
    1 Royal gramma
    2 Ocelaris Clowns
    3 Blue damsels
    Flame Angel
    Coral Beauty
    Tangs:
    Yellow 3”
    Scopas 2”
    Purple 3.5”
    Naso 4”
    Blonde Naso 2.5”
    Sailfin 2”
    Hippo 4”
    Orange Shoulder 4”
    Whitetail Bristletooth 3”

They all interact well and are a pleasure to watch.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks to 4fordfamily and your sharing of knowledge.

4FordFamily likes this.
  16. 4FordFamily

Merry Christmas, glad all is well! :)

17. jelazar

jelazar Member

@4FordFamily, I'm looking for your advice on my draft fish list. The tank is a 96x28x30 350g and is a new start. I will treat all fish with prazi and CP/copper regardless of whether they show any symptoms. I have multiple quarantine and hospital tanks in my fish room available for this.

Phase 1
    Darwin ocellaris clownfish pair
    Blue neon goby pair

Phase 2
    Yasha, hi-fin, or orange stripe prawn goby pair and shrimp
    Purple firefish pair
    Tail spot blennie
    Captive bred Mandarin pair (if eating pellets)
    Foxface (once filamentous algae appears)

Phase 3
    Copperband butterflyfish
    Lyretail anthias (6) (Fiji/Indonesia; not IO)
    Captive bred orchid dottyback pair (juveniles)
    Kole tang (tentative)

Phase 4
    Male blonde naso tang

Phase 5
    Melanarus wrasse pair
    Carpenter's or McCosker's wrasse pair
    Cleaner wrasse or other wrasse pair

Phase 6 (simultaneous)
    Purple tang
    Desjardini tang
    Group of 5 yellow tangs

Phase 7
    Powder blue tang

You mentioned earlier that nasos are generally more docile, but you recommend adding them quite late in the sequence. Why not add them earlier to offset their more gentle nature by giving them a boost of territoriality?

Also, I'd like a bunch of yellow tangs. Is it a reasonable plan to add the purple, Desjardini, and all the yellows together? Or do you have a better idea?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community!

18. 4FordFamily

I think the plan is pretty solid. I do recommend that you add the zebrasoma tangs concurrently. However, they may not allow the powder blue tang addition. Kole can also be pretty aggressive and may not allow the PBT either. He's likely to leave the naso alone, and likely to leave 7 zebrasoma alone.

Your idea with the Naso isn't a bad one, but IME Naso CAN become territorial in small groups of tangs or if theyr'e an only tang, and with two spines and the large size, they can become dangerous. In a group, Naso are almost always very docile. But either idea is not a poor one.

19. Reef4Rose

My yellow was first in. I was not able to do in exact recommended order as indicated earlier in this thread by 4fordfamily. The yellow was not happy about the purple when added a week apart. The purple took over briefly as top dog. Now everyone gets along fine. The yellow and the purple have their moments but they are brief and harmless. I’ve included some pics of my fish family.

3C541F52-2097-44CE-A469-E7F7D23FE34F.jpeg

1A1019B5-1DD3-4BA5-A929-18200CF1C82F.jpeg

FCF51924-E236-4792-8FA3-72EC02CA5C91.jpeg

4FordFamily likes this.
  20. 4FordFamily

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Sometimes, more important than what is added when, is that they're added simultaneously.

Draft saved Draft deleted