Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Most definitely! I think if yellow and purple went in together it would have been more harmonious. One of the more interesting introductions were the 2nd Naso which was not planned but wanted to add 2 fish when adding the whitetail bristle tooth. Nobody even took a second look at the Naso but everyone took note of the bristle tooth. Now after a week nobody cares about the bristle tooth. Best part is the bristle tooth looks like she is settling in nicely.

4FordFamily likes this.

2. jelazar

jelazar Member

So do you think I should add the Kole, Naso, and PBT at the same time? Or maybe add the 7 zebrasoma, then the Naso, then the Kole and the PBT? Or add all 10 tangs at once? Speak to me, o Tang Whisperer!

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I have a question for the Tang Whisperer, also.

I've missed my Yellow Tang since he passed a few months ago. I'm thinking of replacing him with 3 new ones. Currently have a Hippo Tang, Convict Tang, and Chevron Tang in a 187G. Would adding 3 yellows at the same time be pushing my luck?

4FordFamily likes this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

No it could work out, I mean it’s always a risk but I don’t think it’s that bad. The three yellows are more likely to have issues than the existing tangs are to seriously mess with three identical tangs added :)

Brew12 likes this.
  5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Thanks!

4FordFamily likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I’d add kole naso and PBT together if it were me, and towards the end.

7. Reef4Rose

So if I may inquire of corals that are a good match for a “messy” tang tank. I say messy since they eat lots! I am new to corals and have started gathering information on corals that don’t mind less than perfect water. I have the following mainly to ensure best water oxegenation. Secondary will be for stable parameters. Lots of light. 2-36” Hamilton Cebu Sun which gives 4 HO T5’s and 2-250 watt MH per unit. 250 gallon display with large sump and remote refugium. Currently I have lots of turnover at 15 to 20 times per hour. System is around 275 total gallons. Just shy of a pound of rock per gallon. Display has around 210 pounds of various rock. Pukani and Fiji shelf mainly. Refugium has small rubble and porous rock. Tank is shallow sand bed. Refugium has deep sand bed in a 1’x4’ tank. Probably more info than needed for some coral advice! Thanks...

8. Brew12

Messy is all relative. It doesn't matter how messy they are if you have plenty of nutrient export. I recommend going to one of the coral sections and posting your water parameters to get some ideas. Salinity, Alk, Calc, pH, NO3 and PO4 are the numbers people will need to give you the best advice.

9. bean2986

bean2986 Active Member CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Looking to stock my 180g with 3-4 Tangs and I’m looking for some help on how to QT and introduce in a way that would minimize the aggression. The plan is:
    Hippo
    Scopas
    Chevron
    And maybe a Convict.
    For QT I have a 20L and a 65. I know I can find a small Hippo but I know the others will likely be ~3”. Should I QT each Tang solo and add in two batches(easier bioload wise)? Or all at once (ex. Hippo in 20, other 3 in 65)? Worried about aggression in QT as well. Thanks for any guidance!

10. Reef4Rose

All at once is what I would do after what I have seen. Not familiar with chevron or convict. Scopes has been one of my more aggressive towards new members.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  11. ReefguyEric

ReefguyEric Member

What are the chances of adding a mimic and a yellow tang to a 180 with a naso in there already and would I be able to put more tangs in later
    Thanks
    Eric

12. Reef4Rose

I added a Naso with a small blonde Naso already in the tank. I added in pairs for the most part. Mostly tang pairs. In this thread there are recommendations on what fish and in what order.

13. bean2986

14. 4FordFamily

I think you’ll likely be fine with this mix! :). Sorry I just saw this! The 65 would be best for quarantine

bean2986 likes this.
  15. 4FordFamily

Pretty high, most naso are quite docile. Any tang addition to existing tangs is a risk but I consider this minimal. Add them together.

16. bean2986

Thanks. What do you think about QT in sets or do they really all need to go in at once? I guess my options are:
    All 4 in 65 at once (harder)
    Or
    Hippo/Convict then (easier)
    Scopas/ Chevron

If splitting is viable, are those pairings optimal?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  17. 4FordFamily

If splitting is the route you go, that should work. I always recommend all at once though, hippo and convict can get nasty if they have very defined tang territories. Multiple tangs added together are less likely to cause problems. But, if you had to split, that’s pretty optimal.

bean2986 likes this.
  18. bean2986

Thanks! My major concern is water quality in QT. Just had 5 adult Lyretail Anthias in the 65 and it was sooo messy. I’ll see if I can find little guys and do all 4 together.

19. 4FordFamily

You should see @HotRockTarBaby and I’s 3 quarantines right now... we have two 55 and a 40B... we have a LOT of fish in them :D

HotRocks likes this.
  20. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Yes TONS OF FISH! Lots of Salt on Board, lots of water changes!

4FordFamily likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted