Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Most definitely! I think if yellow and purple went in together it would have been more harmonious. One of the more interesting introductions were the 2nd Naso which was not planned but wanted to add 2 fish when adding the whitetail bristle tooth. Nobody even took a second look at the Naso but everyone took note of the bristle tooth. Now after a week nobody cares about the bristle tooth. Best part is the bristle tooth looks like she is settling in nicely.

4FordFamily likes this.

2. jelazar

jelazar Member

So do you think I should add the Kole, Naso, and PBT at the same time? Or maybe add the 7 zebrasoma, then the Naso, then the Kole and the PBT? Or add all 10 tangs at once? Speak to me, o Tang Whisperer!

4FordFamily likes this.
  3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have a question for the Tang Whisperer, also.

I've missed my Yellow Tang since he passed a few months ago. I'm thinking of replacing him with 3 new ones. Currently have a Hippo Tang, Convict Tang, and Chevron Tang in a 187G. Would adding 3 yellows at the same time be pushing my luck?

4FordFamily likes this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

No it could work out, I mean it’s always a risk but I don’t think it’s that bad. The three yellows are more likely to have issues than the existing tangs are to seriously mess with three identical tangs added :)

Brew12 likes this.
  5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks!

4FordFamily likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I’d add kole naso and PBT together if it were me, and towards the end.

7. Reef4Rose

Reef4Rose Active Member Build Thread Contributor

So if I may inquire of corals that are a good match for a “messy” tang tank. I say messy since they eat lots! I am new to corals and have started gathering information on corals that don’t mind less than perfect water. I have the following mainly to ensure best water oxegenation. Secondary will be for stable parameters. Lots of light. 2-36” Hamilton Cebu Sun which gives 4 HO T5’s and 2-250 watt MH per unit. 250 gallon display with large sump and remote refugium. Currently I have lots of turnover at 15 to 20 times per hour. System is around 275 total gallons. Just shy of a pound of rock per gallon. Display has around 210 pounds of various rock. Pukani and Fiji shelf mainly. Refugium has small rubble and porous rock. Tank is shallow sand bed. Refugium has deep sand bed in a 1’x4’ tank. Probably more info than needed for some coral advice! Thanks...

8. Brew12

Messy is all relative. It doesn't matter how messy they are if you have plenty of nutrient export. I recommend going to one of the coral sections and posting your water parameters to get some ideas. Salinity, Alk, Calc, pH, NO3 and PO4 are the numbers people will need to give you the best advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted