Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Sometimes, more important than what is added when, is that they're added simultaneously.
Most definitely! I think if yellow and purple went in together it would have been more harmonious. One of the more interesting introductions were the 2nd Naso which was not planned but wanted to add 2 fish when adding the whitetail bristle tooth. Nobody even took a second look at the Naso but everyone took note of the bristle tooth. Now after a week nobody cares about the bristle tooth. Best part is the bristle tooth looks like she is settling in nicely.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the plan is pretty solid. I do recommend that you add the zebrasoma tangs concurrently. However, they may not allow the powder blue tang addition. Kole can also be pretty aggressive and may not allow the PBT either. He's likely to leave the naso alone, and likely to leave 7 zebrasoma alone.

Your idea with the Naso isn't a bad one, but IME Naso CAN become territorial in small groups of tangs or if theyr'e an only tang, and with two spines and the large size, they can become dangerous. In a group, Naso are almost always very docile. But either idea is not a poor one.

So do you think I should add the Kole, Naso, and PBT at the same time? Or maybe add the 7 zebrasoma, then the Naso, then the Kole and the PBT? Or add all 10 tangs at once? Speak to me, o Tang Whisperer!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the Tang Whisperer, also.

I've missed my Yellow Tang since he passed a few months ago. I'm thinking of replacing him with 3 new ones. Currently have a Hippo Tang, Convict Tang, and Chevron Tang in a 187G. Would adding 3 yellows at the same time be pushing my luck?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the Tang Whisperer, also.

I've missed my Yellow Tang since he passed a few months ago. I'm thinking of replacing him with 3 new ones. Currently have a Hippo Tang, Convict Tang, and Chevron Tang in a 187G. Would adding 3 yellows at the same time be pushing my luck?
No it could work out, I mean it’s always a risk but I don’t think it’s that bad. The three yellows are more likely to have issues than the existing tangs are to seriously mess with three identical tangs added :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it could work out, I mean it’s always a risk but I don’t think it’s that bad. The three yellows are more likely to have issues than the existing tangs are to seriously mess with three identical tangs added :)
Thanks!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you think I should add the Kole, Naso, and PBT at the same time? Or maybe add the 7 zebrasoma, then the Naso, then the Kole and the PBT? Or add all 10 tangs at once? Speak to me, o Tang Whisperer!
I’d add kole naso and PBT together if it were me, and towards the end.

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I may inquire of corals that are a good match for a “messy” tang tank. I say messy since they eat lots! I am new to corals and have started gathering information on corals that don’t mind less than perfect water. I have the following mainly to ensure best water oxegenation. Secondary will be for stable parameters. Lots of light. 2-36” Hamilton Cebu Sun which gives 4 HO T5’s and 2-250 watt MH per unit. 250 gallon display with large sump and remote refugium. Currently I have lots of turnover at 15 to 20 times per hour. System is around 275 total gallons. Just shy of a pound of rock per gallon. Display has around 210 pounds of various rock. Pukani and Fiji shelf mainly. Refugium has small rubble and porous rock. Tank is shallow sand bed. Refugium has deep sand bed in a 1’x4’ tank. Probably more info than needed for some coral advice! Thanks...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I may inquire of corals that are a good match for a “messy” tang tank. I say messy since they eat lots! I am new to corals and have started gathering information on corals that don’t mind less than perfect water. I have the following mainly to ensure best water oxegenation. Secondary will be for stable parameters. Lots of light. 2-36” Hamilton Cebu Sun which gives 4 HO T5’s and 2-250 watt MH per unit. 250 gallon display with large sump and remote refugium. Currently I have lots of turnover at 15 to 20 times per hour. System is around 275 total gallons. Just shy of a pound of rock per gallon. Display has around 210 pounds of various rock. Pukani and Fiji shelf mainly. Refugium has small rubble and porous rock. Tank is shallow sand bed. Refugium has deep sand bed in a 1’x4’ tank. Probably more info than needed for some coral advice! Thanks...
Messy is all relative. It doesn't matter how messy they are if you have plenty of nutrient export. I recommend going to one of the coral sections and posting your water parameters to get some ideas. Salinity, Alk, Calc, pH, NO3 and PO4 are the numbers people will need to give you the best advice.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to stock my 180g with 3-4 Tangs and I’m looking for some help on how to QT and introduce in a way that would minimize the aggression. The plan is:
Hippo
Scopas
Chevron
And maybe a Convict.
For QT I have a 20L and a 65. I know I can find a small Hippo but I know the others will likely be ~3”. Should I QT each Tang solo and add in two batches(easier bioload wise)? Or all at once (ex. Hippo in 20, other 3 in 65)? Worried about aggression in QT as well. Thanks for any guidance!

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All at once is what I would do after what I have seen. Not familiar with chevron or convict. Scopes has been one of my more aggressive towards new members.

Last edited:

ReefguyEric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances of adding a mimic and a yellow tang to a 180 with a naso in there already and would I be able to put more tangs in later
Thanks
Eric

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances of adding a mimic and a yellow tang to a 180 with a naso in there already and would I be able to put more tangs in later
Thanks
Eric
I added a Naso with a small blonde Naso already in the tank. I added in pairs for the most part. Mostly tang pairs. In this thread there are recommendations on what fish and in what order.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll likely be fine with this mix! :). Sorry I just saw this! The 65 would be best for quarantine
Looking to stock my 180g with 3-4 Tangs and I’m looking for some help on how to QT and introduce in a way that would minimize the aggression. The plan is:
Hippo
Scopas
Chevron
And maybe a Convict.
For QT I have a 20L and a 65. I know I can find a small Hippo but I know the others will likely be ~3”. Should I QT each Tang solo and add in two batches(easier bioload wise)? Or all at once (ex. Hippo in 20, other 3 in 65)? Worried about aggression in QT as well. Thanks for any guidance!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Eric

Pretty high, most naso are quite docile. Any tang addition to existing tangs is a risk but I consider this minimal. Add them together.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll likely be fine with this mix! :). Sorry I just saw this! The 65 would be best for quarantine

Thanks. What do you think about QT in sets or do they really all need to go in at once? I guess my options are:
All 4 in 65 at once (harder)
Or
Hippo/Convict then (easier)
Scopas/ Chevron

If splitting is viable, are those pairings optimal?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What do you think about QT in sets or do they really all need to go in at once? I guess my options are:
All 4 in 65 at once (harder)
Or
Hippo/Convict then (easier)
Scopas/ Chevron

If splitting is viable, are those pairings optimal?

Thanks again!
If splitting is the route you go, that should work. I always recommend all at once though, hippo and convict can get nasty if they have very defined tang territories. Multiple tangs added together are less likely to cause problems. But, if you had to split, that’s pretty optimal.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My major concern is water quality in QT. Just had 5 adult Lyretail Anthias in the 65 and it was sooo messy. I’ll see if I can find little guys and do all 4 together.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My major concern is water quality in QT. Just had 5 adult Lyretail Anthias in the 65 and it was sooo messy. I’ll see if I can find little guys and do all 4 together.
You should see @HotRockTarBaby and I’s 3 quarantines right now... we have two 55 and a 40B... we have a LOT of fish in them :D

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back