OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Atlantic tang had a gash on his side but has since healed .. don’t know What it was from ...
Tangs can and will stab each other when stuff gets serious. It usually heals up well, unless infection sets in. On the other hand, you can come home to a tang that looks like Freddie Krueger found it in a few short hours, especially with acanthurus tangs as the aggressors.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can and will stab each other when stuff gets serious. It usually heals up well, unless infection sets in. On the other hand, you can come home to a tang that looks like Freddie Krueger found it in a few short hours, especially with acanthurus tangs as the aggressors.
Never had tang of mine have a gash but the Atlantic blue was on the newcomers so turned out they introduced him to the tank but tougher than u thought .. with tangs if they have a cave at night and are eating and attacking food I feel that’s always a good sign

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have started populating. I have a yellow and purple about the same size’ 3”. The 2 chase and swim together. Sometimes they line up side by side and wiggle their tails rapidly for a second or so. Is this posturing for dominance? Just play? Any thoughts would be great.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tails have spines on them( the white lines) they are challenging each other .. tangs do it all the time to establish a pecking order.. just closely monitor them

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have started populating. I have a yellow and purple about the same size’ 3”. The 2 chase and swim together. Sometimes they line up side by side and wiggle their tails rapidly for a second or so. Is this posturing for dominance? Just play? Any thoughts would be great.

I agree with the following:

The tails have spines on them( the white lines) they are challenging each other .. tangs do it all the time to establish a pecking order.. just closely monitor them

It can turn ugly but generally if they have been coexisting for 60-90 days or so you’ll be fine.

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So I have a couple months possibly of concern. Should I hold off on any more additions until they work it out? Maybe additional members will distract them? My next up would be a Naso and maybe a lieutenant or Sohal.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So I have a couple months possibly of concern. Should I hold off on any more additions until they work it out? Maybe additional members will distract them? My next up would be a Naso and maybe a lieutenant or Sohal.
With that amount of tangs you need to be very careful on how to play this .. I have 8 tangs in a 500 gallons 10 foot aquarium and that’s without a sohal and I had to sump a few tangs till it actually worked .. it’s a 250 gallon right ? How many tangs total did u decide to go with

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 250. 79 long 31 deep 23 tall. I was going to try for 4 more. Naso, Lieutenant, Powder Blue and Achilles. Introduced as pairs, first 2 in list followed by last 2. This can be revised of course. I have swim room mixed with lots of hiding places. Currently there are a small Scopas, Sailfin, a 4” hippo, 3” yellow and purple. I’d like to at least get the Naso and Achilles or Naso and Powder Blue in.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso and powder blue with the other 5 can work .. Achilles are beautiful but very hard to keep alive .. I’m happy you didn’t include the sohal cause it’s one thing to have a sohal in a tank and another thing to have with 7 other tangs ...just make sure every tang has its own cave to sleep in

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated.

Years ago I had 5 in a 125 and all were happy. I’m more aware of needs now than I was then.

Input from more experienced certainly helps out. I will pass on the Achilles due to difficulty. My wife likes that one but that’s based on appearance alone.

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated.

Years ago I had 5 in a 125 and all were happy. I’m more aware of needs now than I was then.

Input from more experienced certainly helps out. I will pass on the Achilles due to difficulty. My wife likes that one but that’s based on appearance alone.
Sounds good .. Keep us updated with pictures once there in pls and how they react to one another

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 250. 79 long 31 deep 23 tall. I was going to try for 4 more. Naso, Lieutenant, Powder Blue and Achilles. Introduced as pairs, first 2 in list followed by last 2. This can be revised of course. I have swim room mixed with lots of hiding places. Currently there are a small Scopas, Sailfin, a 4” hippo, 3” yellow and purple. I’d like to at least get the Naso and Achilles or Naso and Powder Blue in.
I'd add concurrently if you do it, and Sohal is a risk, as mentioned.

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason people say Achilles are difficult any more so than any other Acanthurus species?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason people say Achilles are difficult any more so than any other Acanthurus species?
More fragile/less hardy, harder to get eating, need more space, cleaner water, nutrition even more critical

Reef4Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics to bring a smile to a Tang lovers face. While I am still concerned the hippo gets enough to eat as she lays in the rocks mostly. She did and has popped out to get a bite or 2 of seaweed. Not one tail wriggling display between purple and yellow. It’s funny with 2 rocks having seaweed they all eat together at first.

ACD5DDC9-C6F5-4C6C-8323-7BA5323BF399.jpeg

1E8EA562-D90A-4113-8E15-8E3F61858AE1.jpeg

DE0FC069-948F-4C07-81FB-0BD89A7365AE.jpeg

0CD8248B-260A-41E1-871B-251A472E976D.jpeg

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fragile/less hardy, harder to get eating, need more space, cleaner water, nutrition even more critical

Interesting, I always just thought the we’re more susceptible to ich like the powder blues. Clown tangs seem more difficult for me from an eating and aggression standpoint.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more susceptible to ich than powder blues but both are pretty tough

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 tank, and currently have a chocolate tang (only tang in there) thats been in this tank for 3-4 years. Do you think I could I ad a purple tang?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back