Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. Huff747

Huff747 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

So, I finally have a bigger tank (125) and I’m starting to do some tang dreaming as I work on setting it up. Do I add any non-tang fish first and do tangs last? Thinking a dwarf angel or two, maybe clowns, I really like my Midas blenny in my 40gallon so maybe one of those and perhaps a wrasse or two.

And when doing qt, if say I don’t have a really big qt, can I qt them separately so long as I add them to the display at the same time so nobody has set up shop before anybody else?

Thanks.

2. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Tangs together is ideal, adding other fish first may work well, but depending on the tangs may be unnecessary.

Add docile tangs first, aggressive last if you split them up. I bought a 55 gal QT on Craigslist and bought small tangs, so I could do them at once.

Huff747 likes this.
  3. Huff747

Thanks. Since it’s a 125 (6ft) I’m looking/hoping to do a trio of Yellow, Scopas, Purple. I do now have a 40gallon for QT so I should be able to do them together but was partly worried about not being able to find the trio all at the same time so maybe having to QT 2 and then get the third a week or two later when I can find it and run it through a separate QT tank. But I’d hold them in QT until they’re all ready to go in the display so that they can be added to the display together. As I look around I never seem to see all 3 available at the same time.

Are those 3 a reasonable goal for a 125? Would of course like more but not sure what else I could should consider and don’t think I can realistically get a larger tank in the space available.

4. HotRockTarBaby

HotRockTarBaby Fish Fanatic! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Big shout out to @4FordFamily thanks for helping me work though my problematic very aggressive powder brown tang! Jason made the recommendation that I add a large (5"+) desjardini sailfin into my DT. He has combated every flare up between my Achilles and powder brown immediately ever since they moved from 2 separate QT tanks into main display last week! Thanks man! Major tank boss.

4FordFamily likes this.
  5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Glad our plan worked! That powder brown was going to be trouble if you had taken the smaller Desjardini. Glad we made the trade, harmony is a beautiful thing!

6. 4FordFamily

I think it’s reasonable, buy them smaller. All three are relatively slow growers. If you really pushed it, a smaller bristlooth tang like a Tomini or a small acanthurus like a convict might work as a 4th. 4 small tangs in a 40B qt can and has worked for us in the past. Larger, not so much. Keep them 3” or smaller.

You’ll need to skim very heavily for a 125 with that stock, so buy an grossly oversized skimmer and combine with other nutrient export methods :)

I think all are available on Live Aquaria now, or af least are frequently available together IME

7. Huff747

Thanks again. Really appreciate the time. Hoping a Reef Octopus 8" Classic 200INT Skimmer is oversized enough? They rate it for 250 gallons, BRS recommends for up to 160 gallons. I do also plan to run a refugium.

I'll keep the Tomini or similar in mind but I may just be happy with the three and go with something else. I like my midas blenny so maybe one of those for this tank as well or a dwarf angel, and my youngest really likes the black and white clowns so perhaps a pair of those for this tank since we have the standard clowns in the current tank.

4FordFamily likes this.
  8. ReefguyEric

ReefguyEric Member

I have a 180 with a just a blonde male naso looking to put in some more tangs in thinking of a mimic,yellow, sailfin, yellow belly, maybe a purple or powder brown any suggestions recommendations will help thanks.

9. 4FordFamily

Naso, hippo, and sailfin will eventually outgrow a 180, especially the naso. It can be done for awhile if they’re small Fish.? That mix could work but be careful with the purple and sailfin — they’d need to be added simultaneously.

10. ReefguyEric

ReefguyEric Member

If I decided not to get a purple or powder brown would I just be able to put them in 1 at a time or pairs

11. 4FordFamily

It’s a risk later. You never know

12. HairyGary

HairyGary Active Member R2R Supporter

I want to add a single tang to a wrasse dominant tank I am setting up. My 9 yr old is pushing for a powder blue (smaller) but know they can get nasty but am curious if that is toward other tangs or just in general? It would be going in 93 cube. Other possible options are Chevron, Mimic, Flame fin, or white tail bristle tooth.

13. 4FordFamily

Hello, powder blues really need a 6 foot tank as a minimum size, even when small. 5 feet would be suitable perhaps until 3 inches, but still not ideal.

Chevron will outgrow it as well. A mimic would outgrow it rather quickly, their minimum tank size should be a 120, IME.

I’d go with the white tail bristletooth or the flame fin/Tomini :)

Also, tangs are usually nasty to fish with similar diets or shapes— so butterflies are often targets, other tangs, angels, and algae-grazing blennies.

14. HairyGary

HairyGary Active Member R2R Supporter

Thanks. Any others that would work?

15. 4FordFamily

Most bristlooth tangs, other than chevron which get very large :)

Draft saved Draft deleted