Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where your head is!

I also do think that those acanthurus might even bully the nastiest of angels, best to add a few at a time! :)

My PBT bullied my 7.25" emperor tank boss at times!

I had a flame in here without much issues from the tangs because the flame darted into the rockwork quickly away from the aggression. I am working on a emperor that's about 4-5 inches. Hopefully they will accept him

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I have planned on getting a PBT, and adding it to the tank last. So I'm formulating my livestock plan, which I would be very glad to get input on. I currently have in my Red Sea 650:

-yellow eyed kole
-blue throat trigger (he and the kole are total buddies)
-four clowns
-three lyretail anthias
-flame hawkfish (love him!)

My plan was to get a Naso next, followed by the PBT. Now I'm thinking Naso, then a Hippo, and then (as ReefPharmer said) getting off the tang train. So my questions are these:

1) How does that mix sound with a naso and hippo added?
2) What might be a good replacement for the PBT? I think they're really beautiful, so I'd like something similarly good-looking. I'd love a copperbanded butterfly, but I've heard so many stories of them not eating. If I got one that eats, do you think one might fit in with these others?

Thanks for all the info. My tank is new (<6 months) and I want to do it right.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I have planned on getting a PBT, and adding it to the tank last. So I'm formulating my livestock plan, which I would be very glad to get input on. I currently have in my Red Sea 650:

-yellow eyed kole
-blue throat trigger (he and the kole are total buddies)
-four clowns
-three lyretail anthias
-flame hawkfish (love him!)

My plan was to get a Naso next, followed by the PBT. Now I'm thinking Naso, then a Hippo, and then (as ReefPharmer said) getting off the tang train. So my questions are these:

1) How does that mix sound with a naso and hippo added?
2) What might be a good replacement for the PBT? I think they're really beautiful, so I'd like something similarly good-looking. I'd love a copperbanded butterfly, but I've heard so many stories of them not eating. If I got one that eats, do you think one might fit in with these others?

Thanks for all the info. My tank is new (<6 months) and I want to do it right.
Naso get really large, just an offhand comment I don't remember how large the 650 is gallons or length. I would say a minimum for an adult (but not fully grown) naso is 180.

I think it could work that aside. PBT is unfortunately the only fish of similar color-- copperband can be tricky with tangs as the stress of living with high strung, active, and often aggressive fish like tangs can prove troublesome. It works sometimes, however.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stocking a new 180. So far only regal angel, two picasso clowns and a ornate wrasse. I would like to get three tangs.. purple, blue hippo and powder blue. Should I get all 3 at once? Should I get them all the same sizes? I can get small purple and blue tangs but the powder blue are only medium and larges from what I can find.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stocking a new 180. So far only regal angel, two picasso clowns and a ornate wrasse. I would like to get three tangs.. purple, blue hippo and powder blue. Should I get all 3 at once? Should I get them all the same sizes? I can get small purple and blue tangs but the powder blue are only medium and larges from what I can find.
Smaller or medium powder blue would be best -- I would recommend the others be larger, if possible.

Adding at the same time is a good idea, so long as your tank is well established.

Good luck!

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to get back into the hobby!
I'm thinking about getting 180g aquarium.
That being said, I was planing on having several different tangs, i.e, purple,kole,powered blue and if I'm willing to pay big time for a Gem tang.
Reading this post has me reconsidering my thought process. Maybe I need to get a bigger tank 200g plus. Any thoughts?

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So forgive me if this has already been covered but 11 pages is a lot to read. I have a 100g with 2 clowns, a coral beauty, royal gramma and a green mandarin. Want to add a tang(s) but trying to keep the peaceful vibe going. I want to go with yellow for the standard reasons but I don't think my tank is big enough for 3 of them. What are your thoughts on a yellow and tomini if I add them at the same time? The only other thing I plan on adding is a pair of fire fish or maybe a trio of anthias.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to get back into the hobby!
I'm thinking about getting 180g aquarium.
That being said, I was planing on having several different tangs, i.e, purple,kole,powered blue and if I'm willing to pay big time for a Gem tang.
Reading this post has me reconsidering my thought process. Maybe I need to get a bigger tank 200g plus. Any thoughts?
You might be OK but I would get the Gem before the purple or buy at same time. Purple can be nasty, Gem are timid for a zebrasoma

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So forgive me if this has already been covered but 11 pages is a lot to read. I have a 100g with 2 clowns, a coral beauty, royal gramma and a green mandarin. Want to add a tang(s) but trying to keep the peaceful vibe going. I want to go with yellow for the standard reasons but I don't think my tank is big enough for 3 of them. What are your thoughts on a yellow and tomini if I add them at the same time? The only other thing I plan on adding is a pair of fire fish or maybe a trio of anthias.
You probably wouldn't want 3 yellow in a 100 gal, Tomini and yellow should work fine

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even put 1 yellow in my 120g. He is the mafia of welcoming committees when I add new fish. Any new fish.

I'm going to try and catch him and get him out of the tank. Maybe I can do a swap at my LFS for a smaller, non demon possessed, yellow tang.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even put 1 yellow in my 120g. He is the mafia of welcoming committees when I add new fish. Any new fish.

I'm going to try and catch him and get him out of the tank. Maybe I can do a swap at my LFS for a smaller, non demon possessed, yellow tang.
Once they turn aggressive (often as only or dominant tangs) yellows don't often get timid unless completely "reset". IE quarantining them with group of new tangs, at least one of which more aggressive and/or larger than the yellow. They can be redirected this way, often.

Sometimes, removal and re-addition after larger or more aggressive tangs are added is all it takes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they turn aggressive (often as only or dominant tangs) yellows don't often get timid unless completely "reset". IE quarantining them with group of new tangs, at least one of which more aggressive and/or larger than the yellow. They can be redirected this way, often.

Sometimes, removal and re-addition after larger or more aggressive tangs are added is all it takes.
My Hippo tang used to be the more aggressive of the two. Over the last 6 months that has changed. He isn't causing too many problems yet but he does chase my Foxface and anthias more than I would like.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for comments;) Recently received these fish to put in 2 tanks: 2 PBT, 1PBrownT,1 Yellow tang, 1 Magnificent Foxface, 3 clowns, 5 damsels, 1 Christmas wrasse, 1 Banghai Cardinal. Here's what I did for QTing- Those that were going into the same tank were QT'd together. No aggression between any of them while in QT!! Here's what is going on now in my 180g tank : Powders are not getting along with non-stop chasing, nipping, trying to slice...and continued for 48 hrs! I then caught the PBlT and its in a large Reef Gently box. It was breathing heavy and too tired to try to avoid the catch...the P Brown was not! He has been the aggressor. Even all day and still tonight, he's showing aggression to the Blue;Muted but of course is not striking any blows. He's staying right at the box;Rage There is a mature Purple Tang (king of the 180) and an adult Yellow in the tank. They have not shown any aggression toward the Powders, Foxface, clown and damsels. The Blue is doing ok (eating, normal breathing, etc but is on guard because of the p brown) but I'm concerned as the box does not give it the room that it needs, how stressed is it now, etc... Even worse, the 2 powders are the same size ( as well as the other PBT in another tank...who is very skittish of me still). He and the yellow tang-who's smaller are not having problems in their new home). Since both the P blue and Brown were introduced at the same time with the Foxface, etc...changing the rockwork does not sound beneficial (and would be a huge job). Lots of questions come to mind ... what can be done?, how stressed is the blue in the box and having the brown still showing constant aggression and not leaving?...If the brown does start to leave the blue, how many days do I go before introduction again?...Should I keep the blue in the box or put it in the QT tank again...alone? Geesh! I really thought with the addition of the Foxface and the others, that the Purple and Yellow tangs would help with any problems that arose between the powders, especially since they were fine in QT! ;Nailbiting;Watching:eek:

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The brown is still rarely leaving the blue who's still in the Reef Gently box. They are still mimicking their swimming behaviors and signs of aggression. Both are eating and showing no signs of disease/ick. Please advise. TYIA! @4FordFamily

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, if you wanted them to get along your better bet would have been to add more acanthurus tangs together. They're too similar and unfortunately this type of acanthurus tang rarely forgets. 75% chance it won't work out long term. Acclimation box will stress your powder blue pretty badly. I would remove the brown first and maybe wait a week or two to add it back and see if that helps. Did you try a mirror?

Unfortunately I don't see that working out, based on what you're seeing now and what I know about powders and similar acanthurus tangs :(

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to over stock the tank. So, I was hoping adding both powders, the foxface and the other 3 fish that it would help. I'm sad now.

So take the brown out and release the blue in the 180g tank? If I can catch the brown...he's really fast:9( I have another tank that I could put the brown in but that is also housing a new blue. The blue is just a smidge smaller and is very skittish. I could put the brown or the blue in the QT tank. It would be easiest to put the blue in the tank at this point. Guidance? Thanks so much for helping @ 4FordFamily!!!!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to over stock the tank. So, I was hoping adding both powders, the foxface and the other 3 fish that it would help. I'm sad now.

So take the brown out and release the blue in the 180g tank? If I can catch the brown...he's really fast:9( I have another tank that I could put the brown in but that is also housing a new blue. The blue is just a smidge smaller and is very skittish. I could put the brown or the blue in the QT tank. It would be easiest to put the blue in the tank at this point. Guidance? Thanks so much for helping @ 4FordFamily!!!!
Unfortunately I think your powder brown will chase any powder blue it sees. I understand on overstocking, but acanthurus especially the powders and Achilles are so nasty. I don't know tbat you have any options that will work out (that you will like). :(

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!!;Woot;Woot;Woot I am SO HaPpY to report that all fish are in their new homes! Very little stress was caused by their moves! The powder blue in the Acclimate Box is now happy again swimming in the 180g tank!! Wish it luck that it will do well with the Purple and Yellow tangs!;)

The smaller Powder Blue is moved back to the QT tank once I set it up with everything including live rock for him to swim around and forage:D

The powder brown is now in the other 6' tank! He should do well in there as he's with a Yellow tang 1/3rd its size. I am so happy that I was able to catch him a few minutes ago!;Joyful

Of course I will be watching very closely to how they are doing. They will have their Nori and other foods to help with their immune systems and growth! @4Ford Family, I couldn't have done it without you...Thanks again!!;Happy

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!!;Woot;Woot;Woot I am SO HaPpY to report that all fish are in their new homes! Very little stress was caused by their moves! The powder blue in the Acclimate Box is now happy again swimming in the 180g tank!! Wish it luck that it will do well with the Purple and Yellow tangs!;)

The smaller Powder Blue is moved back to the QT tank once I set it up with everything including live rock for him to swim around and forage:D

The powder brown is now in the other 6' tank! He should do well in there as he's with a Yellow tang 1/3rd its size. I am so happy that I was able to catch him a few minutes ago!;Joyful

Of course I will be watching very closely to how they are doing. They will have their Nori and other foods to help with their immune systems and growth! @4Ford Family, I couldn't have done it without you...Thanks again!!;Happy
You're more than welcome! Keep me posted! :)

Back