Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't understand why our sailfin has turned into such a bully to the foxface. Our previous one wasn't like that at all.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't understand why our sailfin has turned into such a bully to the foxface. Our previous one wasn't like that at all.
Fewer fish + larger tank = more aggression. Easier to defend a space in that scenario.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Always thought more fish would lead to more aggression due to competition for space. As of today I decided to add a couple more fish to my stocking plan. According to this thread, it may well turn out to be a good decision for everyone.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can work out but it’s riskier than 3+or 1 zebrasoma tang. Sounds like a good plan for export!

Well the sailfin is leaving today and 3 small yellow's are coming to replace him. Like you said, hopefully with 3, they get a long decently and since they are smaller there are more than enough hiding places for them. They've also been QT'd together for the last month so hopefully that's a good sign.
If the 3 yellow's stay together that will be it for tangs in our tank unless we possibly add a PBT later. I think you mentioned earlier that 4 medium tangs would probably be the max for a 180? We will need to think of some more colorful fish to add later (smaller ones of course).

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sailfin is leaving today and 3 small yellow's are coming to replace him. Like you said, hopefully with 3, they get a long decently and since they are smaller there are more than enough hiding places for them. They've also been QT'd together for the last month so hopefully that's a good sign.
If the 3 yellow's stay together that will be it for tangs in our tank unless we possibly add a PBT later. I think you mentioned earlier that 4 medium tangs would probably be the max for a 180? We will need to think of some more colorful fish to add later (smaller ones of course).
Flame hawk fish, melanarus wrasse :)

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawk fish, melanarus wrasse :)

We actually have a big, colorful melanarus already. That the sailfin was bullying as well.

He was not an easy catch (the sailfin) but he did teach me that we had some dead spots in our rock work. Had to remove some and turned up a good amount of detritus so I redid some of it with more pass through so the water could flow completely around.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. Everyone seems more active without the sailfin in there and the yellow's outside of the smallest are all over the place.
5-12-20_3.jpg
5-12-20_4.jpg
5-12-20_7.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on these guys all together in an 310g, 8 foot peninsula? Yellow x 3, sailfin, powder blue, lavender, hippo, and possible gem? Is that doable or crazy? Also want to add a blueface angel and other assorted smaller guys.
Doable but that's a lot of fish, but with good nutrient export it can work.
Remember how lalrge the sailfin, hippo, and even lavender will get ;)

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an earlier thread regarding nori clip and this is one I found to work. It can be purchased on Amazon "Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadget Grazer PRO".

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do have a question. I have a 300g tank which includes 4 tangs - powder brown, sailfin, hippo and a bristletooth (all medium sizes). No major aggression detected except for the once in a while territorial chest puffing (only if they had one to puff). They were added all at once and have been together for about 2 months now. All is great with nutrients which is testing in the normal range. I would like to add a naso (after quarantine of course) and would like to know if that would be a wise decision at this point in time?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily the smallest yellow didn't last :( He got picked on in QT before he came to us so it wasn't really a shock. He wasn't in great shape unfortunately. The other two are doing really well so far. Rearranged the rock work to get better flow but also created more caves and hiding spots. They've chased each other a couple times but nothing consistent and no flashing of their barbs at each other as far as I can tell. The smaller of the two does just as much chasing as the bigger one which is kinda funny to watch.
The credit for the yellow that didn't make it is going towards a Lt Tang that got ordered (You ain't got no legs Lt Dan!). I know that means probably no PBT but we're ok with that (at least till we get like a 600 gallon tank haha.

DSC00637.JPG
DSC00639.JPG
DSC00642.JPG
DSC00645.JPG
DSC00648.JPG

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do have a question. I have a 300g tank which includes 4 tangs - powder brown, sailfin, hippo and a bristletooth (all medium sizes). No major aggression detected except for the once in a while territorial chest puffing (only if they had one to puff). They were added all at once and have been together for about 2 months now. All is great with nutrients which is testing in the normal range. I would like to add a naso (after quarantine of course) and would like to know if that would be a wise decision at this point in time?
It may not be welcomed unless quite large, and still it may not. Naso are quite fragile when new. If you do I’d add with other fish, personally.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an earlier thread regarding nori clip and this is one I found to work. It can be purchased on Amazon "Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadget Grazer PRO".
I bought something similar in past I don’t know why it didn’t work I’ll try this. My fangs are large I wonder if they can eat from this. Only one way to find out! Thanks! :)

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought something similar in past I don’t know why it didn’t work I’ll try this. My fangs are large I wonder if they can eat from this. Only one way to find out! Thanks! :)

I just got min in yesterday and tried it for the first time today. They definitely ate out of it, although someone yanked so hard it opened up lol. But the algae stayed in it so it didn't float all over. I don't know who hit it that hard though. I've seen the bigger yellow and the foxface both go after algae sheets hard so I imagine it was one of them.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got min in yesterday and tried it for the first time today. They definitely ate out of it, although someone yanked so hard it opened up lol. But the algae stayed in it so it didn't float all over. I don't know who hit it that hard though. I've seen the bigger yellow and the foxface both go after algae sheets hard so I imagine it was one of them.
My puffers are enormous and voracious -- I guess we will see what they do LOL

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back