Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6' 125 with a 3.5" purple tang. I would really like to have 2 more tangs, preferably a Desjardini and one other tang. I know some people have success with a trio of zebrasoma to spread out the aggression. I would rather have a minic tang as the 3rd tang though. Would it be safer in terms of aggression to add a Desjardini and mimic tang to the purple, or a desjardini and yellow? I hope to find the two new tangs slightly larger than the purple and introduce the 2 together. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think this entirely depends on the fish, whats your rockscape like? is there lots of hiding spots and places to hide away? I'm thinking a lot of my success is the fact that there is so many places to hide and get away. But as stated before I think this entirely depends on a the fish, one aggressive one might ruin the whole relationship

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this entirely depends on the fish, whats your rockscape like? is there lots of hiding spots and places to hide away? I'm thinking a lot of my success is the fact that there is so many places to hide and get away. But as stated before I think this entirely depends on a the fish, one aggressive one might ruin the whole relationship

15971913041153098235071066304064.jpg

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Tangs in a 93 gallon cube.

Current inhabitants

2 flame wrasse
1 timore wrasse
2 picasso clownfish
1 sunburst anthias

I had a yellow tang that was 16 years old who just recently died. I would like to replace him with another small yellow tang a small purple tang, which I already own and have in another system, and another zebrasoma tang, most likely a sailfin tang.

I would like to have more than 1 tang.
I would like to minimize aggression by having 3 tangs instead of 2 tangs.
I already have the purple would like to replace the yellow and have the 3rd tang be a good fit with those two.

Suggestions for the 3rd if the sailfin isn’t a good fit?

Additionally, I am looking to upgrade to a 200-300 gallon tank , 72-84 inches, in the next year.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Tangs in a 93 gallon cube.

Current inhabitants

2 flame wrasse
1 timore wrasse
2 picasso clownfish
1 sunburst anthias

I had a yellow tang that was 16 years old who just recently died. I would like to replace him with another small yellow tang a small purple tang, which I already own and have in another system, and another zebrasoma tang, most likely a sailfin tang.

I would like to have more than 1 tang.
I would like to minimize aggression by having 3 tangs instead of 2 tangs.
I already have the purple would like to replace the yellow and have the 3rd tang be a good fit with those two.

Suggestions for the 3rd if the sailfin isn’t a good fit?

Additionally, I am looking to upgrade to a 200-300 gallon tank , 72-84 inches, in the next year.

A sailfin is going to outgrow that tank quickly imo.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like sailfins for a 125. They grow to be an enormous fish. Purple and mimic would be fine. A good third tang would be any from the Ctenochaetus genus.

And too think, when I first started I had an LFS tell me a sailfin would be fine in our 75 and we could get a blue hippo too. Needless to say that sailfin was not fine in our 75. He developed HLLE really bad before we found a good home for him.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my recent experience with adding a 6" Sohal Tang to my tank. Current tang inhabitants include: large Blue Hippo and Blonde Naso tangs, as well as medium sized lavender and tomini.

I was surprised to see that the older fish were harassing the Sohal as much as they did once added to the tank. The lavender, which is much smaller was chasing him around the most. Though this make sense since the lavender and sohal are very similarity shaped.

In order to reduce the harassment, I added multiple sheets of nori around the tank. That way there would be enough separation for all the tangs to eat without competition. This worked in getting the sohal to eat very quickly.

Also, I have a 300 gal in wall tank that is viewable from 2 sides. Basically a peninsula tank that is built into a corner. Instead of painting the back side of the tank black, I have a black sheet of UHMW that I setup behind the tank so you can't see into the fish room from the front. Most of the time I have this down since I'm constantly in the fish room for maintenance. The interesting thing is, when I put the sheet up the fish can see their reflection in the glass. So after having the sheet off for a couple of weeks, putting it up caused the fish to see themselves and chase around their own reflections. This took the attention off of the new Sohal, allowing him to settle in very nicely.

Anyone else think of using mirrors or something like that to help distract current inhabitants from a new addition?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my recent experience with adding a 6" Sohal Tang to my tank. Current tang inhabitants include: large Blue Hippo and Blonde Naso tangs, as well as medium sized lavender and tomini.

I was surprised to see that the older fish were harassing the Sohal as much as they did once added to the tank. The lavender, which is much smaller was chasing him around the most. Though this make sense since the lavender and sohal are very similarity shaped.

In order to reduce the harassment, I added multiple sheets of nori around the tank. That way there would be enough separation for all the tangs to eat without competition. This worked in getting the sohal to eat very quickly.

Also, I have a 300 gal in wall tank that is viewable from 2 sides. Basically a peninsula tank that is built into a corner. Instead of painting the back side of the tank black, I have a black sheet of UHMW that I setup behind the tank so you can't see into the fish room from the front. Most of the time I have this down since I'm constantly in the fish room for maintenance. The interesting thing is, when I put the sheet up the fish can see their reflection in the glass. So after having the sheet off for a couple of weeks, putting it up caused the fish to see themselves and chase around their own reflections. This took the attention off of the new Sohal, allowing him to settle in very nicely.

Anyone else think of using mirrors or something like that to help distract current inhabitants from a new addition?

We've used mirrors a few times for different fish with good success.
For some reason one side of our tank is pretty reflective as it is so i feel like the fish almost always have a reflection to chase.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got offered a really good deal on a large, already QTd PBT today. I really want one but everyone is doing so well right now. I worry about upsetting the balance.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily would you take the risk of adding a PBT to our current lineup knowing everyone is getting along well right now? I also kind of think we may be close to maxed out on large fish even though we have pretty good nutrient export going right now.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Tangs seem to be the quintessential reef tank fish since there are so many different types, they're all utilitarian AND some of the most beautiful fish, can't go wrong with them!

I currently have my Sailfin in QT and treating with copper. I plan on reintroducing him back into my 220g DT with 2 other Tang's at first (yet to be determined which) and then eventually more.

What are your thoughts on if I introduced the Sailfin along with a Yellow and Hippo back after QT? Would the Sailfin and Yellow potentially be an issue since there wouldn't be a third Zebrasoma to diffuse the aggression? Or would the Hippo potentially help?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too late to undo this now but I just want to double check that my tang roster stands a good chance of success and what to watch for.

Tank: 180 gallon

Desjaedini 5 inch
Powder blue 4 inch
Blue hippo 3 inch
Yellow tank 2.5 inch
Blonde naso 3 inch
Yellow eye kole 3 inch

All added recently within the same 1 week period

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I saw this on our lt tang this morning. Should we be concerned? O don't see any cuts or anything and he's not acting hurt.
20200829_083935.jpg
20200829_083933.jpg
It looks like a Bad sting from a coral or an infection. Did it suddenly appear or slowly grow? If the latter, I’d be prepared to treat for infection in QT.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Tangs seem to be the quintessential reef tank fish since there are so many different types, they're all utilitarian AND some of the most beautiful fish, can't go wrong with them!

I currently have my Sailfin in QT and treating with copper. I plan on reintroducing him back into my 220g DT with 2 other Tang's at first (yet to be determined which) and then eventually more.

What are your thoughts on if I introduced the Sailfin along with a Yellow and Hippo back after QT? Would the Sailfin and Yellow potentially be an issue since there wouldn't be a third Zebrasoma to diffuse the aggression? Or would the Hippo potentially help?
It’s hard to be sure, but two zebrasoma tangs isn’t ideal. A third may improve that a bit but they could fixate on one another. On the other hand, zebrasoma tangs tend to get over their aggression issues quickly.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too late to undo this now but I just want to double check that my tang roster stands a good chance of success and what to watch for.

Tank: 180 gallon

Desjaedini 5 inch
Powder blue 4 inch
Blue hippo 3 inch
Yellow tank 2.5 inch
Blonde naso 3 inch
Yellow eye kole 3 inch

All added recently within the same 1 week period
It may work, the large desjardini may function as a referee due to size and their tendency to do this. :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily would you take the risk of adding a PBT to our current lineup knowing everyone is getting along well right now? I also kind of think we may be close to maxed out on large fish even though we have pretty good nutrient export going right now.
They’re pretty fragile despite being really nasty themselves...

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may work, the large desjardini may function as a referee due to size and their tendency to do this. :)

Was just watching the tangs today. My desjardini is such a great peacekeeper. I saw the yellow tag was the only one that seemed stressed and was pacing the glass at the far end. On closer inspection. I saw the desjardini was circling nearby but not actually moving in and posturing or showing overt aggression towards the yellow tang. As I watched I noticed the power blue was also governing around the area and not leaving. Over several minutes I watched the powder blue repeatedly attempt to reach the yellow tang and intimidate it. But each time the desjardini moved in and separated them. I watched my desjardini follow the power blue as it tried to find different holes in the rockwork to approach from and each time she moved to block the opening. I’ve never seen such blatant and active peacekeeping from a tang. I’m so glad she is my largest fish. The was the same way in our old tank between the powder blue and the hippo tang. But I never thought she would protect another zebrasoma. The PB seems to have lost interest now. And it wasn’t very aggressive to start so I’m optimistic nothing will come from it long term.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back