Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow, my wholesale price back in like 2015 was A LOT more :/
And I see they are now $249 at NY Aquatics.
My Wholesale was a little over $300 in 2005

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying this thread. I have had 3 yellow tangs, a chevron, a powder blue, clown, regal, and purple tang together for over 4 years now and just last week 2 of the yellows decided to mercilessly beat the daylight out of the third. I don't know what triggered this but I moved the picked-on tang into an acclimation box and then reintroduced it after a week to no avail. Now I moved the 2 aggressors to my secondary tank and plan on adding them back in a month or so.

Just when you think things are smooth sailing your babies try to kill each other.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could work, it’s a lot of tangs but I can hardly say anything as I do that. I wouldn’t buy them too small as they’re not as hardy. I’d say 2.5-3.5 inch zebrasoma is ideal. To be honest though if added together the size may not be that important. Definitely add the PBT last. Hippo can be small - 2-3 inches or so if hardy and be OK. The tomini may not appreciate another tang addition but on the other hand it may not care much especially if added to a new tank almost immediately. Smaller hippo can hide and wait it out pretty well unlike other tangs which gives them so leeway.
What are the odds of successfully adding a Tang to my tank which currently has a 6" Foxface, 5" WT Bristletooth and 4" Yellow? I have 7" PBT who currently is the only fish in a 55 gal. and I'd like to give him more room. My other option is a baby tank raised Hippo tang. In the prior case I fear for the current tank inhabitants and in the latter I wonder if the baby would be small and timid enough to be ignored?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tangs per gallon of water would you recommend?
Honestly, that’s not a good idea to go off of.
Tangs per gallon doesn’t give the room they need to swim. That’s like saying ‘25G per one tang’ that would make someone assume in a 25G tank they could have 1 tang. When it comes to the Acanthurids and any fish at that matter, you don’t go for the Fish per Gallon unlike freshwater and instead you go for how much length and territory you can give each fish.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that’s not a good idea to go off of.
Tangs per gallon doesn’t give the room they need to swim. That’s like saying ‘25G per one tang’ that would make someone assume in a 25G tank they could have 1 tang. When it comes to the Acanthurids and any fish at that matter, you don’t go for the Fish per Gallon unlike freshwater and instead you go for how much length and territory you can give each fish.
That's kind of a deep idea to think about embeddedin a joke...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of a deep idea to think about embeddedin a joke...
I’ve come from Fresh Water (my last FW tank was broken down 3 years ago now, my first saltwater tank was done 10-12 years ago). My biggest issue in the transition was noticing how aggressive saltwater fish tend to be compared to FW fish.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 small tangs in 100 gal - tomini and convict.. they coexist piecefully. i would not add another fish to my 7 fish that live in the tank (that would be too many) - and i would definitely not add another tang!

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Upgrading to a bigger tank soon and of course we need to add more tangs! Planning on either an 8 or 10 foot long tank.

Currently have a 10" desjardini sailfin who is the kind of a jerk, and 7" blonde naso. The sailfin is definitely the king of the tank, and intimidates the naso into a corner. Did have some swipes at the naso earlier, but after some separation, and placing of mirrors, the active aggression stopped, just intimidation now. Interestingly the swipes began after I started leaving nori on clips, then I think that really triggered his territorial aggression.

I want to add a gem tang, an achilles tang and lavender tang, and possibly some yellow/purple tangs. Maybe a sohal/clown.

Most of the fish I see available are around 4-5". I imagine the sailfin will still be a jerk. I think i'll put the naso in first, and let him get settled. Should I do all the rest at once? leave the sailfin for last?

Last edited:

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited 2 Blue Hippo Tangs in my current tank. They get along fine and swim/hang together most of the time.

Is this going to be an issue long term though - i have been told that you cant keep 2 of the same type together?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I inherited 2 Blue Hippo Tangs in my current tank. They get along fine and swim/hang together most of the time.

Is this going to be an issue long term though - i have been told that you cant keep 2 of the same type together?
It may not turn out well. As you can see in pics, I had two sailfin tangs and for 4 months thought- Lucky me and then the war began.
Tangs and SOME tangs best grouped in odd numbers. . 1-3-5 and so forth
I have 6 yellows for 5 + years and simply got lucky

660g 10.28c.jpg
660g 10.28e.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not turn out well. As you can see in pics, I had two sailfin tangs and for 4 months thought- Lucky me and then the war began.
Tangs and SOME tangs best grouped in odd numbers. . 1-3-5 and so forth
I have 6 yellows for 5 + years and simply got lucky

660g 10.28c.jpg
660g 10.28e.jpg
Hippo tangs aren’t typically too aggressive towards conspecifics. But with any fish - results may vary!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hippo tangs aren’t typically too aggressive towards conspecifics. But with any fish - results may vary!
true as ive seen them at LFS together. Just considering long term

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank size?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back