Tang combo - purple and yellows

RDU-90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background - established 360 reef. Existing tangs - powder blue, purple, regal - all doing well, all about 5-6 inches. No conflicts. The tank has other fish but is lightly stocked overall.

I am contemplating adding some yellows to the tank - I'd probably add three or four. My thought is that if I add all of them at once (after quarantine) there would be less chance of aggression from the purple.

I've also considered getting the purple out, putting it in my frag tank, adding the yellows to the display and then putting the purple back -- but getting anything out of the tank is a nightmare.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly that.. I added 5 yellows to my 240. Went well.
Over time though, my purple has definitely become the dominate, and can harass the yellows more than I'd like.
I would suggest an odd number of yellows. Even numbers don't seem to work as well. Adding the yellows about the time the lights go off also helps, but isn't a 100% guarantee that things might still go sideways. Best of luck!!
Definitely let us know how things go!!

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I would remove the Purple. Or all the Yellows sizes should be similar, if not larger than the purple.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that many tangs, I don't think you will have a problem. The purple won't be able to decide which one to chase.
IMG_2577.gif

I have five tangs in a 125 and they all get along great. If you watch closely, you can see them all in this gif

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything said above add them all at once and preferably ending up with an odd number of zebrasoma tangs in the tank

OP
OP
R

RDU-90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 5 yellows which all arrived alive from an online source. 2 died in quarantine of unclear cause. I use the 'tank transfer' method. After 14 days I added the remaining three in the dark. There was significant harassment, led by the purple. I was surprised to see my powder blue get in on it also. After 1-2 days things have cooled off and everybody is doing well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some background - established 360 reef. Existing tangs - powder blue, purple, regal - all doing well, all about 5-6 inches. No conflicts. The tank has other fish but is lightly stocked overall.

I am contemplating adding some yellows to the tank - I'd probably add three or four. My thought is that if I add all of them at once (after quarantine) there would be less chance of aggression from the purple.

I've also considered getting the purple out, putting it in my frag tank, adding the yellows to the display and then putting the purple back -- but getting anything out of the tank is a nightmare.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
yes- added a trio at once and went questionable the first night and smooth thereafter

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back