Tang Gulping at Surface

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a big Lieutenant tang that likes to gulp at the surface, as if he is trying to eat flake food that isn't there, its usually in the same corner. I read that they are trying to eat protein layer off surface of water. I am trying to eliminate some possibilities for losing some other fish.

Anyone have tangs that do this? Or is this a symptom of flukes ect...

Last edited:
OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill also add that its not a bobbing up and down vertically like you see in fish dieing, he is like swimming along and gulping the surface, usually in the same corner, it looks like he is going after algae built up in that corner.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill also add that its not a bobbing up and down vertically like you see in fish dieing, he is like swimming along and gulping the surface, usually in the same corner, it looks like he is going after algae built up in that corner.
I have a 12 year old vlamingi and a 9 year old hippo tang that do the same thing. The hippo actually grabs air and brings it down, lets it go and then chases the bubbles from time to time.

both eat algae in the same areas and both have done this since they all were about 1-2 years old.

If it is the only fish doing it, eats well, no flashing and all other fish are fine, I would suspect it is just doing it’s thing and is more than likely ok.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a big Lieutenant tang that likes to gulp at the surface, as if he is trying to eat flake food that isn't there, its usually in the same corner. I read that they are trying to eat protein layer off surface of water. I am trying to eliminate some possibilities for losing some other fish.

Anyone have tangs that do this? Or is this a symptom of flukes ect...
Photo of tang and more info about your tank...? What other fish have you lost? Do you have a skimmer, surface water movement?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 year old vlamingi and a 9 year old hippo tang that do the same thing. The hippo actually grabs air and brings it down, lets it go and then chases the bubbles from time to time.

both eat algae in the same areas and both have done this since they all were about 1-2 years old.

If it is the only fish doing it, eats well, no flashing and all other fish are fine, I would suspect it is just doing it’s thing and is more than likely ok.
My hippo does the same game with bubbles when her belly is full at the end of the day.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang does this occasionally, especially if I fed in the past hour. I haven’t researched it too much, because I haven’t noticed any other signs or symptoms for concern. I remember reading that tangs will go after bubbles at the surface sometime, if they think it’s food, though. Or maybe he is going after algae. As long as you aren’t concerned about oxygen, I wouldn’t worry.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have questioned before why they do it .
foxface , mata tang , orange shoulder tang and blue tang all do it . Most
Times in a corner , gulp at the surface and release air bubbles in the water

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty common frankly. Mine do it, mostly in the corners, to get at the algae that lives at the water/air interface.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface does it all the time, I had a lieutenant for a while and it did it as well.

I just tried taking a picture
Foxface , mata tang and orange shoulder all in the same corner .
I think they know when I’m trying to take their picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 64

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back