Tang has ich

Zilla86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone my tang got ich and going out tomorrow to start a qt tank was wondering what everyone recommends because I’m really not trying to lose my fish I have one purple tang 2in to 3in 2 clowns maybe 2in and a carpenter wrasse 2.5in any and all advice will be greatly appreciated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper safe and dose at 90% of recommended dosage
I always recommend- increase oxygen during any treatment
Pictures would be helpful to confirm what condition you have

OP
OP
Zilla86

Zilla86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking getting two 10 to 20 gallon tanks and putting some media from my main tank with filters and bubblers and dosing some type of copper been watching some YouTube videos on it and that’s where I’m at I’m still new to reefing so you will probably have to dumb it down a Lil for me

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp lab medic worked for me. Treated it in tank. I don’t have a tang though and I’ve heard they can be difficult. Good luck.

OP
OP
Zilla86

Zilla86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also no rapid breathing and he ate like a hog like he always does today but still covered in what looks to be salt

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals. Softies and lps only. I kept it off the corals as best I could but it did land on them from time to time and no harm done.

Attachments

• 7627E93C-11FC-4F56-B460-D7147EED1FD2.png
    7627E93C-11FC-4F56-B460-D7147EED1FD2.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 69

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s all I have
I started slow. Half dose at first then went to full dose after a week. I also ran the treatment an extra 10 days to be sure. Sometimes people confuse ich (Marine White Spot Disease) with velvet. With ich you can see individual dots where as with velvet it looks bumpy. From your description it sounds like ich.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just read a few reviews on poly lab, my opinion ,continue with qt plan,get hanna checker for copper,go fallow 60 days.
your in good hands now,good luck...

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good pic of him
Looks like ich but I’m no biologist. Not sure how much research you’ve done but blue tangs can be notorious ich factories. Something to do with a thin slime coat. Ich can be extremely stubborn as well and last in your tank for months or longer without fish and possibly never go away if the tank still holds fish. All fish will need quarantine, not just the tang because you run the risk of just reinfecting him. Just because the other fish are not showing ich it can still be present in the gills. Tricky stuff, It can even be transferred to another tank just through the air. I’ve heard qt tank should be in another room. Some say it can’t be stopped, only controlled. Brstv on YouTube had some good videos that helped me understand the problem.

OP
OP
Zilla86

Zilla86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich but I’m no biologist. Not sure how much research you’ve done but blue tangs can be notorious ich factories. Something to do with a thin slime coat. Ich can be extremely stubborn as well and last in your tank for months or longer without fish and possibly never go away if the tank still holds fish. All fish will need quarantine, not just the tang because you run the risk of just reinfecting him. Just because the other fish are not showing ich it can still be present in the gills. Tricky stuff, It can even be transferred to another tank just through the air. I’ve heard qt tank should be in another room. Some say it can’t be stopped, only controlled. Brstv on YouTube had some good videos that helped me understand the problem.
Yea I’ve watched them I’m in the middle of setting up my Quarantine tank now everywhere I’ve gotten my fish said they were quarantined but you know how that goes

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this, well still actually treating 2.5 weeks in, I used coppersafe get them in QT ASAP and dose 2ppm, get a decent checker like a Hanna copper checker if you can, within 4 days my purple tang was spot free and my powder brown tang was too. I treated 3 tangs, foxface, clown, damsel, chromis and a golden goby. So far all are doing great. Last time I waited overnight almost all my fish died.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081 how fast to bring copper to level ? immediately ,or over course of days ? thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back