Tang in frag tank.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning on getting a frag tank in about an year. A common saying goes "put a fish in a frag tank with a purpose". Well, I love tangs and I want one for my frag tank to eat algae. Right now i'm looking at 3 sizes.

4' by 1.5 by 1'
Pros: Definitely can get a tang. Lots of room for frags and grow outs.
Cons: Expensive, wasting money if I don't use all of the space. Relatively bulky compared to the 3' by 2' which has the same floor space.

3' by 2' by 1'
Pros: Same floor area of 4' by 1.5' but cheaper. Not as bulky.
Cons: May not be able to get a tang.

3' by 1.5' by 1'
Pros: Cheap, easy to maintain.
Cons: No tang, may run out of space.

What do you guys think? Will a 3 feet long tank be enough for a small Ctenochaetus tang? I know a tang needs lateral swim space but, since this is a frag tank and not a DT, the tang can swim laps. Comparing to the four foot tank, the 3 foot tank has practically the same circumference.

My second question is will a gem or purple tang be comfortable in a 4' by 2'?

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

Last edited:

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen yellow tangs in super small frag tanks, nearing the dimensions you've posted for the 3' tank. Haven't done it myself, but they always seem fat and happy.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in a 4 by 2 that I adopted/rescued and trying to rehome for about 4 months now. It's a blue and a kole tang. They seem happy seem happy for now.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen yellow tangs in super small frag tanks, nearing the dimensions you've posted for the 3' tank. Haven't done it myself, but they always seem fat and happy.

If a yellow tang is happy in a 3 foot, no doubt a smaller tang will be too. However, I want to stay away from yellow tangs in a 3 foot tank. My yellow in my 125 uses every inch of it. And I don't want to buy small tang then replace once it gets bigger. That doesn't seem right as a fish owner.

I have two in a 4 by 2 that I adopted/rescued and trying to rehome for about 4 months now. It's a blue and a kole tang. They seem happy seem happy for now.

Well a blue tang is definitely bigger than a gem or purple tang. If a blue tang can comfortably lap around a 4 by 2 a smaller Zebrasoma can too.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, until they reach about 4-5 inches in length. @ The OP I would go with the 4 foot long tank and then get a Tomini Tang or Squaretail Tang, those are about the only Tangs I could recommend in good conscious for any of these setups.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, until they reach about 4-5 inches in length. @ The OP I would go with the 4 foot long tank and then get a Tomini Tang or Squaretail Tang, those are about the only Tangs I could recommend in good conscious for any of these setups.

Is there a reason for the four foot? Does the same lap circumference not make up for the shorter lateral swim space?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back