Tang missing one “spike”

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers.
I have a question to see if this is common or not. I have a scopus tang- (got him from a fellow reefer as a “used” fish)

when I got him he had only one spike at the base of the tail. The right side is there and looks good. The left side is missing. There’s a little white spot where it use to be but no “spike”

416C5B65-75A9-4188-B619-8AD88A421234.jpeg
87AE3618-4F00-4E32-BA6D-50198F99D2ED.jpeg

I have had him almost two years and it doesn’t seem to bother him one bit lol. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I have a bunch of tangs. Recently had to move them all to QT. I was doing a “ick management” approach, but anytime I added anything the new fish would break out in Ick. I decided to bite the bullet, go fallow for 76 days and QT all fish. That’s why photo looks like he’s in a store tank or something lol.
Here’s a fun viedo of when I add nori:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large sailfin tang with just one for 20+ years. They often get ripped off in nets. Nets really should not be used to catch them for that reason. They are Razor sharp and can do some serious damage. That's why they are called scalpel's.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew they were called scalpel!

thank you!
Also to try not to use nets when possible, but now that I know these guys scalpels can get damaged- even more reason not to use nets. Thanks for the reply!

happy reefing!

Back