Tang nutrition??

Acowutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve had my sailfin tang for about 6 months now. And he seems happy swimming about pecking the rock eatin’ good and all that.( eats formula two and some formula one pellets as well as he eats the brine shrimp I dump in the tank) I feed pellets twice a day and a cube of shrimp every other day. The tank as a whole is doing great. So he’s the deal he’s got some marks above his eyes and traveling back coming in that definitely don’t look right. So I did some reading on here looking for answers. Didn’t see much as exact answers other then It could be malnutrition. I was going to pick up some selcon and see how that went. But I was wondering if anyone had different input or has ran across this before!

6D4156E7-42A0-4A09-9320-78511AF3F5DA.jpeg DADDCD26-44F6-45D1-9795-B9D010FC21AF.jpeg

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need algae/nori/seaweed you may have forgotten to say you feed that but if your not that is probably his source of malnutrition.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed some of these, highly doubt it’s due to malnutrition though.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like HLLE (Head & Lateral Line Erosion) to me. There are a few ways to slow/stop it. I have had success with implementing probiotics and AM Selcon into their feed. You can soak both nori and pellets. BRS sells Reef Hack which is a probiotic blend as well as Selcon which is a blend of fatty acids and other nutrients.
There is no concrete evidence (that I know of) of what causes HLLE but a few theories are water quality, poor diet, stray voltage, etc.
If your water quality is in shape I would start with offering the supplements listed above and perhaps adding a frozen food option to the mix.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
spirulina Brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen

ADD VITAMIN SUCH AS SELCON TO FOOD 2X PER WEEK AND GARLIC TO FOODS 2x PER WEEK

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately looks like HLLE to me ... fairly bad case of it too! HLLE has been variously blamed on carbon fines in the tank and nutrition. Nori will probably do the trick, but you ought to be feeding meaty stuff also. I see no personal need for either vitamin supplements or garlic. I use neither.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back