Tang police - I need some help with this one

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about finished setting up my 75 gallon!

And of course I want a tang, or 2, or 3

Tangs in mind:
two spot tang
white cheek tang
blue tang ( I wouldn't keep this one once it grew over 4-5 inches)

My LFS sells all of these tangs, and they're about the size of a half dollar

My question: if I add 2, or all of these tangs at once would that minimize aggression? Is it possible?

My philosophy is that since they are being added at the same exact moment, they will grow up together and establish a pecking order instantly. Every fish is different which makes them so hard I'm my opinion

Would love to hear some thougths

(don't rip me apart too bad lol)

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2" hippo would do okay in a 75, i personally had one that i started in a 40 -> 70 -> 110

The only thing id be concered about is two tangs in one tank that size might cause a squabble over rocks to graze

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2" hippo would do okay in a 75, i personally had one that i started in a 40 -> 70 -> 110

The only thing id be concered about is two tangs in one tank that size might cause a squabble over rocks to graze
I would make sure there is Nori in the tank at nearly all times, it seems to be the best way to keep their attention on eating and not eachother

I've had luck with folding the Nori up a few times into a compacted square, this lasts almost all day whereas a normal sheet lasts an hour

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure there is Nori in the tank at nearly all times, it seems to be the best way to keep their attention on eating and not eachother

I've had luck with folding the Nori up a few times into a compacted square, this lasts almost all day whereas a normal sheet lasts an hour

Yea thats what i do now, you can always roll the dice and see what happens!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts or shopping for answers? Short answer is no, none. QT, observation, isolation, grow out, medication, time out, and otherwise short term it will work.

Size - those are all medium to large size tangs. Your LFS can't control what comes in on the order.

Even if small you will need to catch and rehome. Will you do that? How easy will it be to get out as it won't go willingly once established. Stress on you, fish, rest of tank trying to catch it if it is difficult.

Be conscientious and buy fish that you can keep long term within the space you have today. Not for tomorrow or what if. See stress above.

You could get a captive bred yellow tang which will arrive 1 to 1.5 inches but will grow fast. Still pushing it though.

Out of curiosity why did you post if you are concerned about your last sentence?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just about finished setting up my 75 gallon!

And of course I want a tang, or 2, or 3

Tangs in mind:
two spot tang
white cheek tang
blue tang ( I wouldn't keep this one once it grew over 4-5 inches)

My LFS sells all of these tangs, and they're about the size of a half dollar

My question: if I add 2, or all of these tangs at once would that minimize aggression? Is it possible?

My philosophy is that since they are being added at the same exact moment, they will grow up together and establish a pecking order instantly. Every fish is different which makes them so hard I'm my opinion

Assuming the tank is well seeded, you can as its best to add in odd numbers but this addition will add a bioload to tank and therefore hold off on next additions for at least 5-6 weeks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
only fish I'm really nervous about is the white cheek, I've seen that they aren't the most fond of other tangs
Add white cheek last if nothing else

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts or shopping for answers? Short answer is no, none. QT, observation, isolation, grow out, medication, time out, and otherwise short term it will work.

Size - those are all medium to large size tangs. Your LFS can't control what comes in on the order.

Even if small you will need to catch and rehome. Will you do that? How easy will it be to get out as it won't go willingly once established. Stress on you, fish, rest of tank trying to catch it if it is difficult.

Be conscientious and buy fish that you can keep long term within the space you have today. Not for tomorrow or what if. See stress above.

You could get a captive bred yellow tang which will arrive 1 to 1.5 inches but will grow fast. Still pushing it though.

Out of curiosity why did you post if you are concerned about your last sentence?
They have all of the fish in stock living in the same tank with copper treatment. All of the fish are the same size, about 1.25 inches

If one of the fish becomes a bully he will either be sent to the 40g for a few months, or taken back to the LFS, where he can get a fresh start in a larger system, or smaller, do we really know if everyone has the systems they say they do when they see a fish they want?

I understand this may not be the best way to do things, but if I can successfully do it and have a repeatable plan this could help someone else that wants to do something similar.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Tang police just don’t like risk.
All at once. Risk is part of the hobby.
Hierarchy must be set with tangs and once set, great peace exists.

Otherwise each time you add, your going to gut them into hierarchy reshuffle mode, aka, new order.

You’ll get a couple of years or so on the blue.
Yellows are great if you can get them.

The aggression will be there. I think in many cases this subsides in a week and doesn’t result in all out sustained attacks, although the potential does exist.

Mine still, after years of no change, swipe with no contact.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Tang police just don’t like risk.
All at once. Risk is part of the hobby.

You’ll get a couple of years or so on the blue.
Yellows are great if you can get them.

The aggression will be there. I think in many cases this subsides in a week and doesn’t result in all out sustained attacks, although the potential does exist.

Mine still, after years of no change, swipe with no contact.

Good luck!
have you done something similar to this plan?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Easier said than done. My 3 tangs (desjardini,naso, tomini) will eat a sheet( rolled to 1/2" wide, then folded into a v) within 10 minutes. You want some "mess" breaking off and floating around, otherwise the most aggressive gets It all. Little guys may take a hour or 2.. be prepared to handle excessive nutrients. Beyond that, as they grow, it may be difficult to recognize when the aggression/stress is because its time to rehome. Never liked that idea, like adoption a child then giving it back because he got too big/old.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
is there another option? I love they looks of them but don't want it to become a problem.

I want to stay away from zebrasoma
Peaceful are:
tomini tang
mustard
Freckleface
chocolate
Gem
lieutenant

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier said than done. My 3 tangs (desjardini,naso, tomini) will eat a sheet( rolled to 1/2" wide, then folded into a v) within 10 minutes. You want some "mess" breaking off and floating around, otherwise the most aggressive gets It all. Little guys may take a hour or 2.. be prepared to handle excessive nutrients. Beyond that, as they grow, it may be difficult to recognize when the aggression/stress is because its time to rehome. Never liked that idea, like adoption a child then giving it back because he got too big/old.
I think rehoming a fish comes down to the fish... if its big but happy and thriving why rehome it?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have all of the fish in stock living in the same tank with copper treatment. All of the fish are the same size, about 1.25 inches

If one of the fish becomes a bully he will either be sent to the 40g for a few months, or taken back to the LFS, where he can get a fresh start in a larger system, or smaller, do we really know if everyone has the systems they say they do when they see a fish they want?

I understand this may not be the best way to do things, but if I can successfully do it and have a repeatable plan this could help someone else that wants to do something similar.

I think you more or less answered my opening question and shopping for answers. Best of luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back