Tang police - I need some help with this one

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw 6 shamus in a pool with no signs of aggression.
Before you bust me, I’m actively finding a bigger pool. ;)

For the OP - I would just do 2-3 for now knowing tangs will need bigger space in a few years (which is where I’m at).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you bust me, I’m actively finding a bigger pool. ;)

For the OP - I would just do 2-3 for now knowing tangs will need bigger space in a few years (which is where I’m at).
Is the trick here that after a couple years your spouse just loves the fish and doesn't want you to rehome them so you are "forced" to get a larger tank to keep her (and the fish) happy?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@littlefoxx , @MnFish1 , I hope its one of those 6 foot 75's.
Now what are you taking about? Im so confused on your stance and this comment makes no sense in regards to OP’s question who is asking about which single tang is best for their tank.

But since I got tagged in this thread Ill answer for OP’s post. I think a bristletooth would be a good choice! Smaller and active and I think theyve got some really cool coloring. Have you looked into dwarf angels? Those are beautiful and fun too!

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about finished setting up my 75 gallon!

And of course I want a tang, or 2, or 3

Tangs in mind:
two spot tang
white cheek tang
blue tang ( I wouldn't keep this one once it grew over 4-5 inches)

My LFS sells all of these tangs, and they're about the size of a half dollar

My question: if I add 2, or all of these tangs at once would that minimize aggression? Is it possible?

My philosophy is that since they are being added at the same exact moment, they will grow up together and establish a pecking order instantly. Every fish is different which makes them so hard I'm my opinion

Would love to hear some thougths

(don't rip me apart too bad lol)
I have 4 tangs and added them one at a time. What I found though is the mirror trick worked the best. If they are aggressive toward each other ....just put a large mirror on the side of the tank. They'll fight their image instead of each other. Usually 1-3 days of that and wean them off it by pulling the mirror back and then away. Has worked with a powder blue, yellow, tomini and purple tang.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the trick here that after a couple years your spouse just loves the fish and doesn't want you to rehome them so you are "forced" to get a larger tank to keep her (and the fish) happy?
My new 6footer was salted 6mos ago for this purpose — move these tangs over from the 3footer. However, I had a change of plan and built a carpet nem tank. Well, uhm — I don’t want them to be dinner to the carpets so…I’m scouting for a 10footer. Yes, all part of the evil plan! Ha

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful fish

I've seen the blue tang that my LFS guy has had for 8 years and it's only about 5 inches still. Is that due to it being a different kind? I've seen a few different like royal and yellow belly. What one is the best?
No idea, only experience with Blue.
Got him at say 2” with commitment to upgrade when he seemed to big. Maybe grew 1” - 1 1/2” per year roughly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back