Tang police - I need some help with this one

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you done something similar to this plan?
Yes,
A blue, a two spot, a Desjardin, and yellow, first in a 65g when small for two years, then a 180g for another 3 years so far.

In my case the issue was with the Desjardin and the yellow for 2nd and 3rd place.

They swam at each other, flashed side by side, someone bit the yellows dorsal, but after the initial meet, go less each day.

They still like to flash here and there.

Blue is boss.
IMG_1968.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier said than done. My 3 tangs (desjardini,naso, tomini) will eat a sheet( rolled to 1/2" wide, then folded into a v) within 10 minutes. You want some "mess" breaking off and floating around, otherwise the most aggressive gets It all. Little guys may take a hour or 2.. be prepared to handle excessive nutrients. Beyond that, as they grow, it may be difficult to recognize when the aggression/stress is because its time to rehome. Never liked that idea, like adoption a child then giving it back because he got too big/old.

That adoption of a child and giving it back - that is a good one.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,
A blue, a two spot, a Desjardin, and yellow, first in a 65g when small for two years, then a 180g for another 3 years so far.

In my case the issue was with the Desjardin and the yellow for 2nd and 3rd place.

They swam at each other, flashed side by side, someone bit the yellows dorsal, but after the initial meet, go less each day.

They still like to flash here and there.

Blue is boss.
IMG_1968.jpeg
beautiful fish

I've seen the blue tang that my LFS guy has had for 8 years and it's only about 5 inches still. Is that due to it being a different kind? I've seen a few different like royal and yellow belly. What one is the best?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think rehoming a fish comes down to the fish... if its big but happy and thriving why rehome it?
Sure, but what, do you wait until its continuously stressed and/ or stressing other fish to death? It can be difficult to recognize stressed behavior if you never had significant experience observing them in a larger tank. At about 6 inches, in starting to see it in my 6foot 180g

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's TRUE, only so much compared to a kid, but in a couple years you will be attached and likely blind to the signs of a problem and less likely to give it away before it's a problem. If you have serious/immanent plans to upgrade tanks- that's a little different. As do I, soon as I figure out how to stop scratching glass, my 3 or 400g is on the way. Mine eat from my hands and let me pet them, giving them away can be difficult

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple and tomini in a 120. Yes it is bigger but only taller, otherwise it’s the same footprint. They get along just fine, but I wouldn’t risk trying to add a 3rd unless it was going to be a tank upgrade.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck with adoption…most days I want to give my own kid back! Wish there wasn’t an age limit to the baby boxes at fire stations lol!

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I had to choose between 2 of them I think leaving out the blue tang would be the best option, based on their potential to outgrown the tank the quickest

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I had to choose between 2 of them I think leaving out the blue tang would be the best option, based on their potential to outgrown the tank the quickest
Orrrrrr, start planning and designating funds for a upgrade in 2 or 3 years...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add any fish that require an upgrade that may or may not happen. If you have the upgrade in the works maybe. I would get the two spot (I love mine) and add more when you actually do upgrade. Little fish will grow out just fine in a large tank. I have a blue hippo that has been with me almost 5 years. It was smaller than a blue damsel when I got it and grew it out in a 180g.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe only getting the white cheek.

what other fish would make some good additions to the tank?
I have a scopas and a yellow eye in my 75. So far they are really friendly and are always together. Other fish than would work well would be a one spot foxface. Work horse vigerous algae eaters and peacefull to a fault.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 tangs (sailfin, yellow, hippo, purple, achilles, blonde naso), kleine butterfly, and a foxface in a 3x3 cube. So yes — building a case for a massive tank..for the sake of the animals! lol

They are all very happy, no signs of aggression- they are very well-fed all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_5717.jpeg
    IMG_5717.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back