Tang question

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#TangPolice

I tried hard to do my research and ask questions but still have ended up with a situation and would like some input from those with more exxperience.

I recently purchased 2 tangs. I introduced them to each other the wrong way I guess or I purchased wrong which is only partially my fault because one of them was misrepresented by the seller (lfs)
The first one is a sailfin, very young, body size of a quarter. The second one was supposed to be a square tail bristletooth but is really a lure tail blue spot bristletooth. I questioned the owner of the lfs about its coloring but was reassured it was what I was looking for and it’s color would change with maturity. It is also very young and about the size of an elongated quarter.
The sailfin was peaceful until I introduced the blue spot. The blue spot is a frenetic swimmer, attacks my blenny and diamond goby, is very food driven and has upset the calm in my tank.
My livestock list is as follows:
2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 adult Solon fairy wrasse
1 juvenile yellow coris wrasse
1 diamond goby
1 lawnmower blenny
2 tiny juvenile chromis
1 file fish
2 pajama cardinals
1 Royal Gramma
1 fire goby
1 mandarin goby

My system is 125 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump with refugium. I have a lot of rock work, hiding places, caves, etc and plenty of food, including Nori. I am purchasing some dragons tongue macro from a friend when it’s grown enough for him to harvest.

My question is, did I make a major mistake mixing these 2 tangs (sailfin is dominant)? Do you thing the blue spot bristletooth will eventually settle down? Someone told me he sounded like he is fresh from the ocean and freaked out by the aquarium. I’ve been trying to catch him but my stupid fish trap malfunctioned like 6 times! Maybe I’m meant to keep the fish but I want to restore the peace and serenity!

Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks.
9695673C-25C2-4286-913D-25F130D56380.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by lure tail blue spot tang? Is it a Ctenochaetus? I see a regal tang. Is it that?

It's common to see some fighting when mixing tangs. As long as there isn't damage, then i wouldn't worry. Two tangs the size of quarters should have no problems getting along in a six foot tank. Although, long term the sailfin and regal will need bigger tanks.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Sometimes Ctenochaetus spp tangs hate lawnmower blennies and diamond gobies. I've had them both chased out of tanks.

Mareshow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having tangs in your tank is all about your level of acceptable bickering, I currently have 8 in my tank and there's always one chasing the other but its peaceful for the most part and everyone is fat and happy. If you don't like the bickering I'd say multiple tanks aren't for you :) Myself on the other hand have another 8 inbound :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back