Tang question.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’m planning to get my tang gang for my 120 gallon mixed reef im setting up. They are gonna be in qt for at least a month or more before going into the main display.
I was thinking of getting- one purple tang, one tomini, one powder blue, and calling it quits there. Does this sound like a nice algae gang? With minimal aggression? I’m gonna add the purple tang last cause in my experience they are the meanest.
Other fish in the tank will all be peaceful—-clowns, anthias, chromis, wrasse, blennies and gobies, cardinal fish, mandarins, and one watanabei angelfish.

how does this sound?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Powder Blue tang will be too large for a 120 gal tank. 5 or 6 foot tank that is about 30 inches wide would fit him better. If you really want to keep a purple and a PBT in a 120 gal, he likely be stressed and will be a Ich magnet.
If I cannot talk you out of it, In a 120 I would put small Purple and PBT at is about the same size in together, after have a Tomini that is larger or at least not smaller than either of the the Purple or the PBT. Plenty of food is a given. Well fed fish will be less aggressive.
Good luck

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Powder Blue tang will be too large for a 120 gal tank. 5 or 6 foot tank that is about 30 inches wide would fit him better. If you really want to keep a purple and a PBT in a 120 gal, he likely be stressed and will be a Ich magnet.
If I cannot talk you out of it, In a 120 I would put small Purple and PBT at is about the same size in together, after have a Tomini that is larger or at least not smaller than either of the the Purple or the PBT. Plenty of food is a given. Well fed fish will be less aggressive.
Good luck
I’m gonna be feeding every 2 hours on a dosing pump, shouldn’t be a problem with food. My aquascape is super minimal too so there will be a lot of swim room. And as it relates to the ich, I’m quarantining/treating all fish, coral and inverts before they go in, tank should be disease and pest free. I’ll do more research about the powder blue, maybe I won’t get one if it won’t be happy in a tank that small. Thanks for the info man!

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck
Will definitely take your advice about getting similar sized fish and adding them at the same time if I even decide to get a PBT. I’m definitely not attached to getting that fish in particular, just think it’s really pretty.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back