Tang started breathing fast then died now my blenny is breathing fast

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home and noticed my Tomini tang breathing really fast and sitting on my rock I don’t think I’ve ever had an O2 issue but I took off my lid just incase it would help

then saw him laying on his side so I warmed up a bucket of RODI water and put him in, he laid down on his side and back but did a couple little bursts of swimming but he died after like 5 minutes into the dip

All my other fish and inverts look fine but my Starty blenny is breathing quickly so I guess I should try and dip him??? But he’s guna be harder to catch I don’t even see him at the moment

no white dots on anything

nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Sal 1.025

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home and noticed my Tomini tang breathing really fast and sitting on my rock I don’t think I’ve ever had an O2 issue but I took off my lid just incase it would help

then saw him laying on his side so I warmed up a bucket of RODI water and put him in, he laid down on his side and back but did a couple little bursts of swimming but he died after like 5 minutes into the dip

All my other fish and inverts look fine but my Starty blenny is breathing quickly so I guess I should try and dip him??? But he’s guna be harder to catch I don’t even see him at the moment

no white dots on anything

nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Sal 1.025
Sorry for your loss. How many more fish do you have in there? Any new additions? I can’t really help with advice but maybe #fishmedics can help

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had him for about a week had the blenny about a month
So was it a pre quarantined or conditioned fish? If it’s in your display I’m assuming you did not QT it? Perhaps it was already sick and the stress of a new environment caused it to succumb but now if it had a contagious disease that may affect all of them though mollies are pretty resilient

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have velvet which kills fish very quickly. We need pictures of any affected fish taken in white light. You probably need to set up a quarantine tank with an airstone, some small PVC pieces, media and instant start bacteria. What medicines do you have on hand? If you can run to the LFS before it closes tonight, I would purchase Copper Power and Rally Pro. Hydroplex is good to use to treat all parasites with a 10 minute saltwater dip. I keep these on hand all the time. Also suggest you check your other parameters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I suspect water quality issues and with your report of zero readings also suspect false test readings and can guess you are using Api test kits, ammonia badge or both ?
Before it gets late in the day, I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api test kits and see what readings they come up with. I would then follow with a 25% water change, clean filters and add air stone for added oxygen

Did you notice . . . . . . .
Rapid breathing prior to today?
Itching , twithching or darting ?
Lethargic behavior?
Fish refusing to eat?
Yawning effect?
Swimming in front of power heads ?

ANY PICS UNDER WHITE LIGHTING OF REMAINING FISH ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be Amyloodinium "velvet" a protozoan gill parasite. If the tomini was the last in, it could be the carrier and now the blenny, and then the other exposed fish may show symptoms. Rapid breathing is a relative thing, and early signs can be a bit difficult to see.

Treating this is very difficult, it kills so quickly that it is sometimes not possible for home aquarists to react fast enough. You would need to set up a quarantine tank and move the fish over to that and treat with copper.

Obviously, I can't be 100% certain this is velvet, so the more information you can supply, the better. However if the invertebrates are all fine, you can rule out most water quality issues. If just the tomini was affected, it could be bacterial gill disease. However, with the tomini being affected first and now the blenny showing signs, that indicates something infectious.....

Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to just get back to you guys now just been trying to deal with this and everything else I gut going

Yes I was using API for ammonia but haven’t since my cycle I do have one of those badges in my sump showing 0

the 0 nitrate is my only Hanna checker I have I’ve been trying to bring that up a bit

No the tang wasn’t QT’d this is my only marine tank and don’t have QT system what so ever because I suck

the Blenny died then same with my Corrus wrasse both fast breathing out of nowhere laying on the bottom then dead in less then 12 hours

I don’t see any white dots (kinda hard to tell on the blenny but I think all his spots are his normal spots) or anything out of the ordinary on the corpses
228091E8-216F-491B-B982-4BC5EC92BCA8.jpeg
E4B5006E-AF9C-4070-A05C-D8118D281A30.jpeg
B712B41C-5678-4FD4-BDD6-1C9F5C3CD036.jpeg

I know it’s not like a full on solution but I hooked my 55 watt UV into one of the return pumps and slowed the speed down

so the only fish left are 2 clowns and the mollies not sure why to do about them I’m not sure it’s velvet with no spots what so ever, don’t know if anything I could do would just stress them or if I should just watch them…. I can put the mollies in my freshwater tank but does anyone know of any infection or parasites that can live in freshwater? I’m not sure if that would be safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to just get back to you guys now just been trying to deal with this and everything else I gut going

Yes I was using API for ammonia but haven’t since my cycle I do have one of those badges in my sump showing 0

the 0 nitrate is my only Hanna checker I have I’ve been trying to bring that up a bit

No the tang wasn’t QT’d this is my only marine tank and don’t have QT system what so ever because I suck

the Blenny died then same with my Corrus wrasse both fast breathing out of nowhere laying on the bottom then dead in less then 12 hours

I don’t see any white dots (kinda hard to tell on the blenny but I think all his spots are his normal spots) or anything out of the ordinary on the corpses
228091E8-216F-491B-B982-4BC5EC92BCA8.jpeg
E4B5006E-AF9C-4070-A05C-D8118D281A30.jpeg
B712B41C-5678-4FD4-BDD6-1C9F5C3CD036.jpeg

I know it’s not like a full on solution but I hooked my 55 watt UV into one of the return pumps and slowed the speed down

so the only fish left are 2 clowns and the mollies not sure why to do about them I’m not sure it’s velvet with no spots what so ever, don’t know if anything I could do would just stress them or if I should just watch them…. I can put the mollies in my freshwater tank but does anyone know of any infection or parasites that can live in freshwater? I’m not sure if that would be safe

It is sounding more and more like Amyloodinium/velvet, sorry.

You often never see spots with this, just fast breathing and hovering in the currents. Sometimes I see glassy eyes, but rarely do I see the "dust" that people talk about - I suspect that is carried over as a symptom from people's experiences with FW velvet, but that's a different species.

Moving the mollies to FW might be ok but marine velvet can live down to 4 ppt salt, so almost FW.

I don't know why the clownfish haven't gotten this.......

Jay

OP
OP
trvrstnk4837

trvrstnk4837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sounding more and more like Amyloodinium/velvet, sorry.

You often never see spots with this, just fast breathing and hovering in the currents. Sometimes I see glassy eyes, but rarely do I see the "dust" that people talk about - I suspect that is carried over as a symptom from people's experiences with FW velvet, but that's a different species.

Moving the mollies to FW might be ok but marine velvet can live down to 4 ppt salt, so almost FW.

I don't know why the clownfish haven't gotten this.......

Jay

Thanks again for everyone who jumped in to help

it did end up getting the clowns just a bit of a delay maybe do to the UV sterilizing some free swimmers (assuming velvet) or maybe they were just hardier having been in the tank the longest

But guna do inverts only for as long as it takes to be sure, in this time I’m either guna get a QT system up or maybe looking into buying exclusively from TSM which isn’t far from me as an alternative since I’ll only every want a handful and it’s my only tank

txmk4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for everyone who jumped in to help

it did end up getting the clowns just a bit of a delay maybe do to the UV sterilizing some free swimmers (assuming velvet) or maybe they were just hardier having been in the tank the longest

But guna do inverts only for as long as it takes to be sure, in this time I’m either guna get a QT system up or maybe looking into buying exclusively from TSM which isn’t far from me as an alternative since I’ll only every want a handful and it’s my only tank
Sorry for your loss. I've lost total of 4 fish in the past 2 weeks, powered tang, clown tang and blue tang along with another fish. I still don't know the reason I got my water tested and was told nitrate levels were high, my clown tang stopped eating and coming out from behind the rocks then I've noticed it started breathing just like the fish in your video then one morning found it dead, I'm still debating should I buy more fish and continue this hobby or quit.

Back