damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I was tinkering with my skimmer after lights out and I must’ve startled my Tomini Tang because he took a flying LEAP out of my tank - I don’t mean he causally hoisted himself over the side I mean he took flight. It was so fast that all I heard was a splash and then wild flapping ;Nailbiting. He landed on a stack of books before flopping off in the floor BEHIND THE TANK.

I was able to grab a tank towel and gently scoop him up and return him to the tank. He did quite a bit of flapping between the wall and the tank but he was only out of water maybe 35-45 seconds. I know the impact is what injures/kills a lot of fish, what should I be watching for??

Last night he was hovering sideways just above the tank bottom which is sometimes how he sleeps. This morning I couldn’t find him before work (lights still out). He’s always out when I get home because it’s feeding time.

Do some fish make it okay after an impact fall like that? Should I put him in a QT tank to monitor or leave him in the DT??

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave him where he is assuming there's nothing that might pick on it too much. I'd bet he'll be fine and the only thing to really watch for would be any physical bumps or scratches. Actually, since it's a tang, the stress might cause him to come down with ich. The only tangs I've had would break out with ich whenever they were overly stressed. Keep an eye on him and you can remove if something comes up. I wouldn't remove him prophylacticly since that would only cause more stress and might do more harm than good.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I was tinkering with my skimmer after lights out and I must’ve startled my Tomini Tang because he took a flying LEAP out of my tank - I don’t mean he causally hoisted himself over the side I mean he took flight. It was so fast that all I heard was a splash and then wild flapping ;Nailbiting. He landed on a stack of books before flopping off in the floor BEHIND THE TANK.

I was able to grab a tank towel and gently scoop him up and return him to the tank. He did quite a bit of flapping between the wall and the tank but he was only out of water maybe 35-45 seconds. I know the impact is what injures/kills a lot of fish, what should I be watching for??

Last night he was hovering sideways just above the tank bottom which is sometimes how he sleeps. This morning I couldn’t find him before work (lights still out). He’s always out when I get home because it’s feeding time.

Do some fish make it okay after an impact fall like that? Should I put him in a QT tank to monitor or leave him in the DT??
Time will tell. I have had fish jump out while working on tanks and land on concrete floor and be completely fine. I would just leave him in the DT unless there is some obvious injury that needs attended to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back