Tangs… What do you see in them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are colorful, often represent a sail on a sailboat, they are often active and cover many viewing levels of a tank and mix well with many species of fish. A sight also at feeding time

1705533533279.png
1705533558505.png

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to watch my Clown tang zoom effortlessly around the tank and surf in the flow of a powerhead. The angels weave in and out of the rocks appearing here and there. The butterflies stick their noses into every hole. The eels stick their heads out and wait to be fed.

Any don't like? Nah.
I love the way mine are so active, too. The one sad thing about it though is that they do it because they naturally move so far and freely in the wide open reefs. They're confined like the big cats we used to see in old-school zoos, pacing back and forth relentlessly in a tiny box. Almost none of us have captive reared tangs. That being said, I like the collective diversity of swimming behaviors all my different fish have.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my guy had that, instead he goes throughout the rocks and around them grazing all day. My wrasses and foxface are more like dogs than my tangs ever have been.
Yeah, my foxface is the only one that will hand feed, but there's hardly a fish in the tank that won't stick its nose up to the glass against mine.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust its all relative... My issue is TOO many hobbies. If it was just aquaria, I'd be set.
Ha, ha, I love it! Between cycling, the aquarium, skiing and hiking (when I can), and collecting (expensive) collections, I hardly have time for work. Nowaday, there's nothing that doesn't come without a pricey designer market

Last edited:

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic.

I never comment anything, but I always find it curious when people post their stock lists for large tanks (150g+). I've never really had a personal tank that large. It's almost always 8-10 tangs, 2 other large fish and 3-4 small fish.

If I had a large 6'+ tank, it would be 40-50 anthias, 10-15 wrasses, and an Achilles or powder blue tang. Dozens of small schooling fish seems so much more "natural" to me.

I'm not a tang hater though. Achilles, powder blue, orange shoulder, naso, yellow all beautiful fish.
I'm with you - seeing fish schooling in the tank is beautiful. I have a PBr, regal, and foxface that school together, small as that is. For what it's worth, years ago I had 6 regals that schooled together. They were the best, just like in the reefs ... until the original (that was bigger than all the others) ate the rest one by one.

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even then it could still get past and into your tank from out of nowhere. I personally believe nobody has an ich free tank and they just have an extremely healthy tank.
You nailed it exactly. Ich is ubiquitous but you won't have a problem with it in a healthy tank. And ... I especially like your footnote! Separate bank accounts are so you don't have to feel guilty about buying yourself presents

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys not find that they turn into a ticking time bomb of aggression and disease?
Nope. I don’t have that experience.

I only keep the friendly tangs. That means no powders, achillies, clowns, or sohal tangs.

In fact, a new desjardini tang saved me from a hair algae outbreak. Nothing else touched it!

My dream tang is a black tang. I know most people would wish to keep one. (Said no one ever)

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he’s saying about being overrated is they never show up in the playoffs. The Tangs are good all season, but come to the playoffs, they always disappoint.

novasive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they were just a bit more hardy…the level of prepping and praying after purchasing one is ridiculous. Not worth it Angels are far more hardy never had an issue with them and even better looking. Tangs you even look the wrong way and they break out with all the diseases known to man in one shot…RIP PB

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish they were just a bit more hardy…the level of prepping and praying after purchasing one is ridiculous. Not worth it Angels are far more hardy never had an issue with them and even better looking. Tangs you even look the wrong way and they break out with all the diseases known to man in one shot…RIP PB
This is how I feel. I also find they get a bit boring whilst an angel will grunt or spit water as they age, a tang doesn’t do any of that and just swims.
Atleast my rabbits camouflage, don’t have aggression and do a better job than any tang has.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I feel. I also find they get a bit boring whilst an angel will grunt or spit water as they age, a tang doesn’t do any of that and just swims.
Atleast my rabbits camouflage, don’t have aggression and do a better job than any tang has.
Yeah. I think if angels and butterflies were reef safe we would see far fewer tangs. If someone wants a brightly colored flat fish then I think you’d definitely get an angel or butterfly. Of course if someone wants beauty and variety then you’d have to go with wrasse. Also for every tang you could probably get a few wrasse since they are usually smaller, less bioload, and more peasceful.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gallon display mixed reef and wanted a bigger fish in my tank. So, the Whitetail Bristletooth Tang. Munches algae, nice color - but can be a bit agressive toward some fish. I discovered I can’t keep a Diamond Goby thanks to him.

If I had to do it again, I may choose differently - maybe a couple of more wrasses in his place.

patrickdep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really tangs because of their personality.... they remind me of horses.. especially the smaller species.
But i dislike aquariums overstocked with many many tangs and angels and other large fish, only swimming around and waiting for food. I like to see them fouraging
And despite having a 1800 liter tank i do not consider a naso or picasso tang....since i feel they need more space

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back