Tangs a lot

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice, presently I've got a sail fin, a purple and a fox face to be added to a new tank set up. I want to add an Achilles, Blue throat trigger and a Unicorn. Should I put them in QT tank together before the transfer, should I add them separately or group them in any special way. Chime in and let me know what would give me the greatest chance for success. I'm thinking that if I QT the unknown Achilles with my two tangs and fox face that don't have ick I might be risking their health

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any response? well in case anyone else has a similar question. I just found some very interesting and extensive threads posted by @4FordFamily and so far it seems like just what the Dr ordered

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anytime you put a new fish in with conditioned fish you roll the dice... I'm surprised someone didn't tell you to set up another QT. If you're able to do so, that would totally be the smartest way to go, but if not, id roll the dice, and treat all fish accordingly, if at all. but adding the purple and the achilles at the same time would be your best bet with keeping aggression to a minimum. just what id do, I'm no expert lol

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I considered the two QTs and I may still go that route putting my conditioned fish in one and my newly acquired in the other then after the QT period is finished for the new, add them all to the new tank at the same time

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with adding a 2nd QT; Putting new fish in with the conditioned ones would be like pressing the reset button.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with adding a 2nd QT; Putting new fish in with the conditioned ones would be like pressing the reset button.
I agree.

Glad you found the threads useful. I would add at the same time to the tank but condition them and prevent ich for the entire bunch with proper treatment as Humblefish outlined (and I reiterated).

Achilles are the tough fish, the tank will need to be 100% parasite free for long term success.

Good luck, keep us posted, and post photos!

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any aggression issues when you add them to your display just put a mirror up against the tank for a few days. It will curb aggression as the older fish will usually go after their own reflection

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the affirmation. I have read some of Humblefish, but will read more in depth, believe I'm on the right track now

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see any aggression issues when you add them to your display just put a mirror up against the tank for a few days. It will curb aggression as the older fish will usually go after their own reflection

Interesting tip, I have a yellow tang that I have had for about 8 years that can be quite the bully

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting tip, I have a yellow tang that I have had for about 8 years that can be quite the bully
You wanna see what my sohal can be like. A bully would be a mild way to put it. Idiot would be more accurate. It used to be crazy attacking other fish but I did the mirror treatment for a few weeks and it helped a lot.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wanna see what my sohal can be like. A bully would be a mild way to put it. Idiot would be more accurate. It used to be crazy attacking other fish but I did the mirror treatment for a few weeks and it helped a lot.
My sohal is pretty docile, relative to my evil powder blue and even my Achilles is more aggressive. Actually, my powder brown and Atlantic blue are more aggressive than he is also.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sohal is pretty docile, relative to my evil powder blue and even my Achilles is more aggressive. Actually, my powder brown and Atlantic blue are more aggressive than he is also.
That's amazing. on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most aggressive the sohal is an 11 lol. My power blue don't even register on the scale. It never shows any aggression at all. My big hippo is number 2 in the tank and then my dejardini tangs are next. But the sohal keeps them akin check. I did have a powder blue once that made my sohal look like an angel. It chased a hippo I had so bad it wouldn't even come out of the rocks at the end. Had to tear my whole tank apart to catch that sucker. Just goes to show the difference people see in the same species. Really your just rolling the dice.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang personalities some never get pass the terrible 2s. had a powder brown and desjardini added a purple, i though they were going to kill it. He would be beat up badly then start to recover and they would start in on him again, they eventually got better but the purple kept it's distance. the Powder brown succumb to some illness that obviously didn't affect the other two. Found him stuck to a power head, I think the purple did it, I think he got revenge. //www.youtube.com/watch?v=61L6hB7c1bg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had three sohals, two for any substantial amount of time. All were moderately aggressive comparatively. I've had very very nasty PBT, and a couple equally nasty Achilles that made my sohals look timid

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang personalities some never get pass the terrible 2s. had a powder brown and desjardini added a purple, i though they were going to kill it. He would be beat up badly then start to recover and they would start in on him again, they eventually got better but the purple kept it's distance. the Powder brown succumb to some illness that obviously didn't affect the other two. Found him stuck to a power head, I think the purple did it, I think he got revenge. //www.youtube.com/watch?v=61L6hB7c1bg
It is not uncommon for acanthus tangs, particularly powder blue, powder brown, Achilles, and goldrim tangs to succomb to parasites that other tangs seem to fight off. Zebrasoma in particular are often very capable of fighting off parasites while the other tangs and fish may succomb.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 gallon aquarium i had a Achilles for a year and half he was 7.5 inch he was sick every other week this fish should be in the wild I hope its not going into a reef you will always have to use medication

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back