Tangs for friends?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the odds a (possible) orange shoulder juvenile and a tomini tang equal size would be fine together? 125 gallons total and the tomini is not permanent. I am getting it for a friend, quarantining and the whole mine yards if he is ill.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 1 is currently in your tank? IMO, the orange shoulder is a bolder, more controlling tang than the tom. My orange shoulder controlled/bossed a black longnose and chevron (and both were in the DT prior).

Brought to you by a Country Boy utilizing his Evo 4G and the Reef2Reef App

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the orange shoulder now and the tomini is still at the lfs. I also have a 55g reef with a hawk and 2 clowns but I don't want to have to go fishing for him and the other tank is 29g with a Condy. Not ideal :/

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on fishing for them (many times in the past when upgrading/moving/etc). If it were me, I'd do the following (if possible):
--Place the bag w/ the tomini in it from the lfs and float it. Watch the reaction from your orange shoulder.
-- (my recommended way to go)If the lfs has other supplies, take a XL critter cage and drill out holes throughout it. Place the tomini in there after drip acclimation and now they can see each other, yet keep the new guy from getting beat up (or the other way around). This DIY critter cage is the easiest way for me to let new guys into my system w/o any fighting. In my thread below near my name, the last page has a couple pics in it with BOTH a vlamingi and regal angel in it at the same time (they decided to get into it together. I'm holding a RBTA for a friend in it). So the XL version has size for a decent tang.
--I think after a few days or maybe right away, the orange shoulder might not care (if any). My orange shoulder only got bossy when he was being pushed.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I'm the blondest brunette ever. I use those for new corals all the time! Thanks for the tip!

Lol. Yep. Easiest and cheapest acclimation tank

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tang, tested him in the bag, then in a pickle jar! Large of course! He is now in the tank with the orange shoulder and he showed him his spike and that was that. They ignore each other for the most part along with the algae clip :/ but they are mowing the hair algae like a john deer

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tang, tested him in the bag, then in a pickle jar! Large of course! He is now in the tank with the orange shoulder and he showed him his spike and that was that. They ignore each other for the most part along with the algae clip :/ but they are mowing the hair algae like a john deer

Good deal.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358718666.052427.jpg

Camera but not people shy. What a fish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358718701.756198.jpg

I'm 80 percent sure he is an orange shoulder. 3 inches maybe now?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back