0   0   0
I have a 4’L x 2’ x 2’ 120 g mixed reef

Stock list:
Small (maybe 2” max) purple tang
Medium (maybe 3” max) scopas tang
Pair of clowns
Banggai cardinal
Gold head sleeper goby

Everyone is peaceful and I’d like to keep it that way.. but..

A local guy was selling a large (5-6”) yellow tang for a price I could not say no to (given the current retails on them).

my question: what should I do? Currently have the yellow in an acclimation box in my DT. I added him when the lights were winding down so he wasn’t noticed by his new tank mates yet. I can catch the scopas easily to rehome, but is there any chance the 3 live peacefully together?

E752BB96-7B76-4327-A8E4-CFD83C3E0368.jpeg

38BB6C9E-BC29-4BFC-8234-7E9991BAC9C1.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's getting to be a lot of Zebrasoma tangs in four feet of swim-room. You might be able to pull it off ... I'd strongly suggest an acclimation box, plenty of available food (nori especially) and a mirror at one or both ends of the tank on introduction day.

Are you adding the largest one last? (Assuming it's already too late to add all three together . . . )

~B.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a chance, better if they are bigger or smaller than current fish. Fish usually take more of a beating that way. I did my new tank the easy way and add them all at once. Although it was difficult to do.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank a little tight but you know what temptation can do

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, increase the food to reduce competition. If you see aggression you can place a couple of mirrors in the places where the tangs are used to hang out or change your aquascape.
I have a purple, yellow and blue tang in a 125 gal tank and thinking to add one more.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it long term but hey keep the yellow healthy and you can probably sell him to buy a 180g when your purple gets big and rowdy .

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone! I’ve given it some thought and I will be rehoming my scopas tang. My scopas and purple haven’t even noticed the yellow in the acclimation box, which leads me to think they’ll be surprised by his release into the tank and I’ll have issues. I don’t want to create a bad environment for these guys.

How long does it take for a purple tang to reach mature size? He’s really small right now, so I’ve got some time before his size is of any concern.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are some of the slowest growing Tangs (maybe fish). From what I’ve gathered most don’t exceed 7”, at least not in our tanks.

ca1ore kept one for 14 years in a 450 gallon, it reached about 7”.

TimFish kept one for 24 years in a 220 gallon, it reached about 7”.

Vette67 has a 15-year old in a 180, it’s about 5”.

ca1ore’s has his current one for about 7 years, it’s around 6” and he says it hasn’t grown in several years so IMO it’s about done growing.

I’d expect anywhere from 5-6.5”, maybe even a bit smaller? A guy on Reef Central says he’s not seen one grown in a tank get much larger than 6”.

OrionN’s Purple Tang that he’s had for maybe 4-ish year is about 6” and he thinks it’s done growing or won’t get much larger.

If we look at similar fish:

outerbank has a 26-year old Yellow Tang that’s probably about 5”.

CanuckReefer has a 17-year old Yellow Tang that’s about 5”.

TimFish had a 20+ year old Yellow Tang that was about 6”.

Apolosland’s ~10 year old Yellow Tang is about 4.5”.

McPuff’s 8-year old Scopas Tang is probably about 4.5”.

Another guy’s 10+ year old Scopas is about 5.5-6”.

So yeah. I’d keep the Purple at least.

Last edited:

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple will become a problem at some point especially with the yellow. It won't be the boss now but it will be at some point because it is far more aggresive than the yellow. By how much and if it will be relentless is always the question. Expect one of them to need a new home in the future unless you are lucky and planning a bigger tank.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple will become a problem at some point especially with the yellow. It won't be the boss now but it will be at some point because it is far more aggresive than the yellow. By how much and if it will be relentless is always the question. Expect one of them to need a new home in the future unless you are lucky and planning a bigger tank.
They are some of the slowest growing Tangs (maybe fish). From what I’ve gathered most don’t exceed 7”, at least not in our tanks.

ca1ore kept one for 14 years in a 450 gallon, it reached about 7”.

TimFish kept one for 24 years in a 220 gallon, it reached about 7”.

Vette67 has a 15-year old in a 180, it’s about 5”.

ca1ore’s has his current one for about 7 years, it’s around 6” and he says it hasn’t grown in several years so IMO it’s about done growing.

I’d expect anywhere from 5-6.5”, maybe even a bit smaller? A guy on Reef Central says he’s not seen one grown in a tank get much larger than 6”.

OrionN’s Purple Tang that he’s had for maybe 4-ish year is about 6” and he thinks it’s done growing or won’t get much larger.

If we look at similar fish:

outerbank has a 26-year old Yellow Tang that’s probably about 5”.

CanuckReefer has a 17-year old Yellow Tang that’s about 5”.

TimFish had a 20+ year old Yellow Tang that was about 6”.

Apolosland’s ~10 year old Yellow Tang is about 4.5”.

McPuff’s 8-year old Scopas Tang is probably about 4.5”.

Another guy’s 10+ year old Scopas is about 5.5-6”.

So yeah. I’d keep the Purple at least.
Thanks for the info! I by no means expect that these two fish will happily live out their lives together in a 4’ tank. I imagine we’ll move and I’ll upgrade sometime in the next 2 ish years. I’ll carefully monitor health and aggression until then and rehome if necessary, but hopefully that won’t be necessary!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My four scopas tangs burst in to tears when they read about the eviction! :p
Yellow / xanthic scopas, way prettier. ;)

DSC_0007 (1024x753).jpg

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My four scopas tangs burst in to tears when they read about the eviction! :p
Yellow / xanthic scopas, way prettier. ;)

DSC_0007 (1024x753).jpg

I’ve never seen a scopas with so much yellow! believe me, it is not an easy decision! He’s my first tang and I sure do love him! I wish I had space for all 3. the purple and yellow have just always been among my top favorites. The scopas I am finding to be a hidden treasure though. SUCH a tough decision!

AF42456C-727A-4ACA-8F04-3A61589F964B.jpeg

318D83C9-1A7B-4FD1-820F-3D5B3C6FA5F3.jpeg

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have a 120, I have purple, tomini, and powder blue for a year then added a yellow to the mix. Few tail whipping once in a while but it works ok. After a month or so I upgraded to 210, so can’t really share long term experience.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back