Tangs

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would anyone have hesitations putting a purple or yellow tang in a lagoon style aquarium, or would they do just fine?

~19.7" high tank

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gallons?
Hello,

Would anyone have hesitations putting a purple or yellow tang in a lagoon style aquarium, or would they do just fine?

~19.7" high tank

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100-150 gallons. Sorry should have included that.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no problem. Gotta love a good yellow or purple. Purples can be more aggressive and bullies so be careful

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no problem. Gotta love a good yellow or purple. Purples can be more aggressive and bullies so be careful
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am still a long way out from researching fish but the tang will most likely be the biggest fish in the tank so I want to make sure I do all my research up front. I still haven't picked out a tank style (never mind which actual tank).

I have been trying to look into lagoon tanks as they have started to grow on me, and came across the video on youtube by Reefdudes (Link to video) Love the look (would like it to look similar in robustness) but the yellow tang in there doesn't seem as though it has enough room, although it is only a 60 gallon. I know youtube isn't the best place to get info so wanted to check with experienced reefers that have long term tanks.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am still a long way out from researching fish but the tang will most likely be the biggest fish in the tank so I want to make sure I do all my research up front. I still haven't picked out a tank style (never mind which actual tank).

I have been trying to look into lagoon tanks as they have started to grow on me, and came across the video on youtube by Reefdudes (Link to video) Love the look (would like it to look similar in robustness) but the yellow tang in there doesn't seem as though it has enough room, although it is only a 60 gallon. I know youtube isn't the best place to get info so wanted to check with experienced reefers that have long term tanks.
Id say 75g is the minimum for a mature tang to grow to full size IMHO. (Though some would argue 60g is fine) Watching that video he put in corals right away. Don’t expect to be able to do that, he probable used water from another one of his tanks to fill it up. Nothing fast happens in this hobby so take it slow and do your research. If you need help on stocking you can message me or make a post. There are lots of great people here welcome to help.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say 75g is the minimum for a mature tang to grow to full size IMHO. (Though some would argue 60g is fine) Watching that video he put in corals right away. Don’t expect to be able to do that, he probable used water from another one of his tanks to fill it up. Nothing fast happens in this hobby so take it slow and do your research. If you need help on stocking you can message me or make a post. There are lots of great people here welcome to help.
I agree with the minimum gallons for tangs based on my research, but this is for typical tank dimensions. I would imagine that the same gallons in a shallower but wider tank is even better for tangs as long as its not too shallow.
Also, the use of water from another tank is probably less significant than the inclusion of rocks from another tank or filtration media from the other tank in the sump (my guess how ReefDudes did the tank transfer), since there is essentially no bacteria of filtration significance in the water column according to Dr. Tim.

@Argos02 I do not think a 100-gallon at 19.7" tall would be too small for a yellow or purple tang based on research and recommendations.

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. I keep freshwater tanks, and have done years of research on biological processes I feel as though I should have a honorary doctorate in Google biology. :D So I understand the concepts behind it.

He is definitely transferring over the bacteria colonies from an established tank.

Sounds like I am probably OK with a lagoon tank if I go that route. Thank you for all inputs! Any contrary opinions also appreciated and accepted!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back