Tangs

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 1-2 inch blue tang, 2 inch yellow tang and a 4-5 inch powder brown tang and I’m looking to add a 5-6 inch purple tang. They say to add the most aggressive last but I’m worried he might bully my other tangs…… can it be done without him killing my other tangs?? I have a 400 litre (105 gallon) tank with plenty of rock and coral to hide in? Any help with this will be much appreciated

10494BA5-8753-45EF-B845-537F594FD367.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I’m sure others will chime in soon to help with your question.

Clownfish.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi , welcome to the reef...:)
just my opinion,but think 5-6" purple too big for tank,would most likely leave blue and yellow alone ,just by size difference,but may be prob with p brown. nice reef, happy reefing

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to r2r,
Im new to saltwater but would think and agree with fishguy about size difference leave them alone.only problem could occur is with the powder brown as similar size. see yours is full to the brim and looking great and also see you have a aqua one 400,so question for you if i may ^_^ what your opinion on the skimmer that came with the tank ? Did you use it or just buy another ?
I take it you in dorset?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched the heck out of this subject the last few months. I have a yellow and a hippo, transferring from a 90 to a larger tank. I really wanted to add a purple or a gem. At the end of the day, I value the health of the two I have too much to risk a cage match. Even in almost 130 gallons, I decided to go with other colorful fish that were not in the genus Zebrasoma.
Just my opinion ... you have a beautiful tank. Welcome to the salty family.
Good Morning GIF

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would not recommend adding the last tang. I have 3 in a larger tank and no matter what I do they go through periods of bullying. Not always, but it does happen. When it happens one usually gets hurt and I have to remove for a period of time to allow to heal. Currently I am over feeding to discourage the fighting, however I am working on setting up a new tank to remove 1 of the tangs.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,
I love your tank!!!
Tangs gangs either work or don't, there doesn't seem to be much middle room.
My two tangs would squabble the first few weeks until the purple out muscled the yellow. Now we have peace in the tank as the yellow just gets out of the way of the purple.
If you do decide to get him, be prepared to rehome someone if things go south. Hope for the best!!!
ZomboMeme 08102020171154.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back