1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally add all Tangs at the same time cause that way they do not have an established territory yet, the tangs you already have most likely have territory established. 2nd the tank is a bit small for that many Tangs they need lots of room to swim, I would add some smaller fish keep it safe.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 1-2 inch blue tang, 2 inch yellow tang and a 4-5 inch powder brown tang and I’m looking to add a 5-6 inch purple tang. They say to add the most aggressive last but I’m worried he might bully my other tangs…… can it be done without him killing my other tangs?? I have a 400 litre (105 gallon) tank with plenty of rock and coral to hide in? Any help with this will be much appreciated

10494BA5-8753-45EF-B845-537F594FD367.jpeg
Welcome! Glad you joined.

I share below, because while you might get away with what you have now, they'll all grow, all become adults, and typically more aggressive as they age. When something happens, have a plan B. Sometimes you also need plans C-Z (rehome, additional tank(s), etc).

I have just 2 tangs, they've become Death Dealers. I was very afraid when one had to leave DT during Reef Flux treatment that it would be killed or kill the other tang upon return. When Reef Flux was done, I moved Sailfin tang to sump for 1-2 weeks to help break territorial hold as yellow tang had 'vacationed' in QT for 3 weeks. I used an acclimation box (The Shu) with magnets so I could move the fish into various territories within tank. Had mirror handy and used as well. It was a successful re-add (measured in no deaths, they healed). I hope someday to add a brand new to tank fish also with no deaths (many sad stories and they were not even tangs).

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 1-2 inch blue tang, 2 inch yellow tang and a 4-5 inch powder brown tang and I’m looking to add a 5-6 inch purple tang. They say to add the most aggressive last but I’m worried he might bully my other tangs…… can it be done without him killing my other tangs?? I have a 400 litre (105 gallon) tank with plenty of rock and coral to hide in? Any help with this will be much appreciated

10494BA5-8753-45EF-B845-537F594FD367.jpeg
Welcome!

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your suggestions, he has come out of a tank with a blue and yellow tang, also my tank is exactly the same as the one he’s coming from, do you think that will make a difference?

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally add all Tangs at the same time cause that way they do not have an established territory yet, the tangs you already have most likely have territory established. 2nd the tank is a bit small for that many Tangs they need lots of room to swim, I would add some smaller fish keep it safe.
Thanks for your reply, rule of thumb is to add the most aggressive last…….

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi , welcome to the reef...:)
just my opinion,but think 5-6" purple too big for tank,would most likely leave blue and yellow alone ,just by size difference,but may be prob with p brown. nice reef, happy reefing
Thanks! Do you think it’s worth giving it a go? I have a QT tank if everything turns to custard ‍♀️

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to r2r,
Im new to saltwater but would think and agree with fishguy about size difference leave them alone.only problem could occur is with the powder brown as similar size. see yours is full to the brim and looking great and also see you have a aqua one 400,so question for you if i may ^_^ what your opinion on the skimmer that came with the tank ? Did you use it or just buy another ?
I take it you in dorset?
Hey! Thanks for your comment, I upgraded the skimmer pretty early in the hobby to be fair. No I’m in New Zealand

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Do you think it’s worth giving it a go? I have a QT tank if everything turns to custard ‍♀️
hi, i'm sorry but think is bad option,too big,just going to get bigger... ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back