Tangs

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
prob going to get laughed at ,but ,yes just a little smaller than powder,should balance out??
buy you a few years until bigger tank..:)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He’s about and inch or two bigger than the powder
i still think difference is,5-6" is taller and an inch thick, too big,a 3-4" prob 5/8" thick .
but if this is a specific fish from someone you know ,then go for it.. ;) and see in future 6 ft tank..:)
but if just buying random ,look 3-4"

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are jerks its a crap shoot. If you were to add a smaller purple like the size of the yellow it may work. Be sure to keep them fat and happy it will help. Also if you could remove the yellow and add them back at the same time.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our weather here in england been quite good this last week tbh.was 20 c/ 68 f yesterday so thats hot for us lol

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt recommend it personally.

You already have 3 in what i guess is a 4x2x2 tank, which is actually a fairly small tank in terms of large growing species. They may be small now but give a bit of growth and problems start evolving.

I also dont see the purple as being the most aggressive of the that lot and although the general rule of thumb is add the most aggressive fish last its more implied to fish in general, not when it comes to the same genus' of fish or multiples. The odds are far better if they were all added at the same time in that case.

I think the biggest issue is the fact its a Zebrasoma and you already have one. I personally wouldnt do it. If you are ademant on adding another surgeon then one from the Ctenochaetus genus would be more suited to the tank, Tomini or kole etc...

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about other tangs? Here’s my Orange Shoulder Tang. Great community fish!

BE902FF4-80D8-4522-A9FF-EB189ACD6C31.jpeg

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt recommend it personally.

You already have 3 in what i guess is a 4x2x2 tank, which is actually a fairly small tank in terms of large growing species. They may be small now but give a bit of growth and problems start evolving.

I also dont see the purple as being the most aggressive of the that lot and although the general rule of thumb is add the most aggressive fish last its more implied to fish in general, not when it comes to the same genus' of fish or multiples. The odds are far better if they were all added at the same time in that case.

I think the biggest issue is the fact its a Zebrasoma and you already have one. I personally wouldnt do it. If you are ademant on adding another surgeon then one from the Ctenochaetus genus would be more suited to the tank, Tomini or kole etc...
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm I don’t know what to do…… I got excited and paid for him before actually looking into it so I’m kinda stuck with him now………

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm I don’t know what to do…… I got excited and paid for him before actually looking into it so I’m kinda stuck with him now………
Its a risk either way.

Im not talking tank sizes because everyone does automatically with surgeons, its from experience of knowing how painful it is when you have a fast growing species in an undersized tank.

As they grow, the box their in gets smaller and the aggression they show gets larger. In a tank like yours thats fairly well stocked of corals etc its one of the most painful things to have to do when it comes to removing a fish. I think you already have three species that live happily now but will grow much larger than they are and its the risk of adding an already large purple to that mix that i wouldnt risk.

Could it work, absolutley but its the ticking time bomb that is what id be avoiding.

I also wouldnt look at an orange shoulder. They have the potential of around 15-16 inches, Ctenochaetus species tend to top out around 6-7 inches.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on this and your other replies I sense you already made up your mind and the inputs here aren’t really going to change your direction. Best of luck and hope it works out but please try to do what’s best for the fish.

OP
OP
Kbangaa

Kbangaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on this and your other replies I sense you already made up your mind and the inputs here aren’t really going to change your direction. Best of luck and hope it works out but please try to do what’s best for the fish.
I’ve decided to pass on the purple

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family! I've never been much of a tang police but I do have to chime in and share my opinion. I think your tank is far too small for all those tangs. Tangs grow fast and I am not sure if it is worth throwing in a 4-5 inch tang there now with the 1-2 inch tangs. You might get them to play along nicely just in time to rehome one of them because they are too big. Otherwise, welcome to the club.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back