tangs...

2ftmonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally done it I bought my sohal tang. I Currently have a blonde naso tang and just added the sohal tonight for the first hour or so the blonde naso was being a bit aggressive but calmed down a bit. My question is do you think they will be fine in the same tank together? Or did I just waste $150 on the sohal? I hope not. I have 90gallon DD tank both fish are about 4-5"

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they'll be ok but I heard sohals are mean little buggers and both being in a 90 assuming there will be future problems.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be ok for now, but I'm guessing as they get bigger, the sohal is going to become very aggressive due to being cramped for space. Both the sohal and naso would be better in a 6 foot tank and even then you might still have an issue.

Rabidgoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is to small to house either of those fish individually let alone together IMO. Be prepared to separate them if the need arises.

good luck......chuck

OP
OP

2ftmonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know for sure the sohal will definately grow out the tank. My LFS said the 1 i bought from him that aslong as the sohal is smaller that the blonde naso then they should be fine until the sohal starts to get cramped then he might turn aggressive. In my experience you can never trust what a LFS says its always better to get other people's inputs aswell. We plan on moving soon with hopes of getting a bigger tank (thats if there room for a bigger tank) so we plan on upgrading our tank to maybe atleast a 180g tank so lets hope the sohal stays on the small side for a while.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sohal is gona win, mine grew 3"+ a year they grow fast. hope you dont have any corals, crabs, inverts....... the sohal will eat them to very mean fish, the only thing mine wouldnt eat were shrooms

OP
OP

2ftmonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sohal is gona win, mine grew 3"+ a year they grow fast. hope you dont have any corals, crabs, inverts....... the sohal will eat them to very mean fish, the only thing mine wouldnt eat were shrooms

so far only had him 2 days and he only been eating the seaweed on the clip so let hope it stays that was. As for coral its mainly softies zoa palys torch frogspwan with a few sps. I hope the sohal doesnt start munching on some of my zoa there a few i love and cost me a few to get! Last year before we downgraded size on the tank we had an emperor and lets hope it'll be like emperor angel there known for eating so much coral, we must of got luckly cause the whole time we had him he only destroyed a 2inch sps frag. I guess it depends on there 'personality' of the fish. I wasnt aware they were big on eating coral thanks for the info I will keep an eye on the fish and coral see if there anything missing!

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sohal tang is one of the meanest tangs available (( with a clown tang being a close second )). I wouldn't but either of those tang (( your sohal and "naso" -- assuming an N. lituratus/elegans )) in anything less then an 8 foot tank. A 90 is way too small for one of them, let alone both, and at 4-5 inches they have already outgrown your tank. In time the sohal's normal behavior will come to light (( plan on it being worse because of the small tank )) and your "naso" is going to take the brunt of the aggression.

To be frank, I would take both tangs back and get one that is better suited for your current tank.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my sohal for 3 years in a 75g before i knew any better(petco $35 I would do it again). it was about 9" when I gave him to someone with a 265g

my sohal his favorite food was polyps especially the yellow ones
here is a pic of when I had mine
sohaltang1-1.jpg

OP
OP

2ftmonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sohal is such a gorgeous fish. I know soon he will be way too big for the tank. I know the better thing should do is take him back but Previous times on enquiring about sohal tang LFS here ive found that will order what you request but only order multiples at a time and wont do it til they know they have multiple buyers lined up so there not left with expensive fish in there tank for long period of time. So it was either screw it and buy him since someone backed out of the order or pass him on and potentially never get him even a few years down the line and with the talks with my husband of upgrading bigger than what we orginally had (125g) and getting 180g+ when we buy our house. We were thinking he can hang out there for a little bit longer with hope there wont be too much of a problem as long as we supply enough food for him to keep him being aggressive. I just hope it doesnt come to the stage of seperating them. Right or wrong thing to do opinions differ but it makes sence in our heads the plan we got going on lol

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just as long as you understand no ammount of food will keep him from being agressive! the sohal will nip at everything in the tank and if it likes it, it will eat it
thats like saying a eel wont eat our fish as long as I feed him plenty of shrimp.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't that difficult to find, in a couple of years -- if you have a proper sized tank -- pick one up then, not now when you don't have the proper tank for it. Trust me, life has a funny way of screwing up plans for a bigger tank (( and a 180 won't be big enough )), I was suppose to have my big tank about 5 years ago -- still don't have it.

Food is not going to change the natural behavior of that fish, and that is to attack other tangs.

OP
OP

2ftmonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i have my 125g tank the emperor nibbled a bit of everything as i said previously he found 1 sps in particular he liked and destroyed it. I know food isnt going to stop a fishes natural bahavoir coming out but I've read from multiple forums and other things online it can help tone a sohals aggressive behavior down some if its kept well fed true or not true I dont know. If a fish is aggressive its going to be aggressive reguardless. When we upgrade its going to be 180 or bigger tank my husband wants a 300 but its all going to depend on other factors when the time comes round which should be a month or so til we can start and buy things once we agree on size. Just going to go with the flow and if problems arise before upgrade is complete then we will address when it happens. If the worst happens and they need to be split we have neighbours 1 has 200 and something gallon tank and another having 300g tank if its comes to worst happens it can go to a tempary home.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back