Tank Arrived today

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much we got a box of goodies today. My kids are on spring break but I know the Swedish fish will be a nice touch when they return...

How did the phosguard clear up?

If anything now that you got a big bucket of salt you can do a water change to get stuff to calm back down.

The swedish fish are always fun!

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the phosguard clear up?

If anything now that you got a big bucket of salt you can do a water change to get stuff to calm back down.

The swedish fish are always fun!

d0df1534e4b94887bff7bdaf7387f770.jpg

Tank cleared up nicely over night. And I must tell on my self O have never heard of “Swedish fish” I thought it was bulk fish food until my son made me read the box closely.... he may still be laughing

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d0df1534e4b94887bff7bdaf7387f770.jpg

Tank cleared up nicely over night. And I must tell on my self O have never heard of “Swedish fish” I thought it was bulk fish food until my son made me read the box closely.... he may still be laughing

HA! Thats too funny. Something to consider when doing regular maintenance to stir the sand bed occasionally. Detritus will settle into the sandbed and you want it to be turned over occasionally to ensure nutrients are exported. I do it usually about 1/4 of the sand bed weekly just to rotate where gets stirred up and its not all stirred up at once to release too many nutrients.

Is the second clown hiding out?

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2d7cd0edbc2850c7b86fb14471c5384c.jpg

ReefCleaners.org recommended this as my clean up crew for my tank. My wife approved the order today so we have them coming. Is there anything else that you would recommend in this tank? Also once they clean the algae is no longer visible should I remove them?

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great idea for a class room. Those kids are lucky to have such a great teacher.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed my FOWLR tank EOD and my fish were fine with it for many years. Now I feed my reef 1 time a day and everyone seems fat and happy :)

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a88b4599627a23879d9ad50a1e9fb8d6.jpg
304e4efef970da7ecb5bbe71e1a51fc9.jpg

Seems like after 24 hours the CUC has mad things worse. Any idea what the red color on the sand is from it wasn’t there before adding all these snails? And the other corner is turning a slimy green now.

d333b394c7d6bddce58d825695cf21e9.jpg

And if these guys don’t get out of this corner and do something they may get fired....

HELP WHATS HAPPENING IN OUR TANK. My students return Monday after a week break and I wanted a clean tank to show them.... guess I’ll have a learning opportunity to give them instead... win win???

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a88b4599627a23879d9ad50a1e9fb8d6.jpg
304e4efef970da7ecb5bbe71e1a51fc9.jpg

Seems like after 24 hours the CUC has mad things worse. Any idea what the red color on the sand is from it wasn’t there before adding all these snails? And the other corner is turning a slimy green now.

d333b394c7d6bddce58d825695cf21e9.jpg

And if these guys don’t get out of this corner and do something they may get fired....

HELP WHATS HAPPENING IN OUR TANK. My students return Monday after a week break and I wanted a clean tank to show them.... guess I’ll have a learning opportunity to give them instead... win win???

Looks like they’re turning over the sand... exposing some of the detritus from below. As for the snails congregating they must have found a particularly thick patch of algae. Mine usually stay still over the day and venture around at night.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they’re turning over the sand... exposing some of the detritus from below. As for the snails congregating they must have found a particularly thick patch of algae. Mine usually stay still over the day and venture around at night.

So they should not be fired yet? This looks normal at this stage?

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a case of the uglies. Most new tanks go through this phase, give your CUC a few days to clean it up. Did you ever get an aquarium glass cleaner?

Last edited:
OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a case of the uglies. Most new tanks go through this phase, give your CUC a few days to clean it up. Did you ever get an aquarium glass cleaner?

I did get a bottle of glass cleaner in a care package from a generous member here. I use it on the outside of the tank. I have a magnet cleaner in the tank but thought if I cleaned the inside the snails wouldn’t have any food, so left the glass for them

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with any additional crabs, once the initial uglies are over then you're not really gonna have the bioload to support such a large clean up crew then they will begin to eat each other.

A shrimp could be a good idea.

Also occasionally keep an eye on the snails and crabs you have, make sure if any get knocked over they are righted and if some dont move for a day or two check that they're still kicking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back