Tank automation: analyzing water and dosing.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggest, I am/was looking into some type of automation to analyze and dose nutrients to my tank. Looking at the price of doing so with Apex/GHL, it's more than I am willing to spend.

So what are my options that will keep me within a budget of $500-$600?

I am considering getting the Hanna checkers Alk, Cal, Phosphorus testers and a single doser like the Ecotech Marine Versa (if it's possible to find them in stock). Start testing 3 times a week and dial in the doser using Tropic Marin's All for Reef; once dialed in continue testing once or so a week. I assume the reason Hannah doesn't offer a magnesium tester is because at its price point they couldn't offer anything that's reliable? And do i need to test for magnesium anyway?

While it's not automation, it makes it easier than what i am currently doing using a Red Sea testing kit--which I lack doing on a consistent basis.

Any thoughts about what I am considering doing or something I haven't considered that would be better?

thx,

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to dial in your doser, you should test more than 3 times per week. You should test multiple times per day for a couple days to see when the consumption rate of your corals is at its low and peak, then adjust your doser to compensate.

Before getting my Trident I always tested alk each morning at 9am. If you only look at the Trident's daily 9am readings (in red below), it looks like things are pretty stable. But when you factor in the additional daily tests (in orange below), you see how much fluctuation actually exists:

As the old saying goes...Ignorance is bliss.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to dial in your doser, you should test more than 3 times per week. You should test multiple times per day for a couple days to see when the consumption rate of your corals is at its low and peak, then adjust your doser to compensate.

Before getting my Trident I always tested alk each morning at 9am. If you only look at the Trident's daily 9am readings (in red below), it looks like things are pretty stable. But when you factor in the additional daily tests (in orange below), you see how much fluctuation actually exists:

As the old saying goes...Ignorance is bliss.

Makes sense, thx.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back