Tank Automation???

Jgeezy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a build from scratch using a Waterbox 100.3 and leaning twards the Apex line.

Do and donts?
Must haves?
Apex or not?

Ready go....

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went Apex and don't regret it besides the fact that the Salinity Probe cannot be calibrated to match my Refractometer regardless of how many times and different ways I have tried, (others have had the same issue so I think it's a bug). So for me 31.2 ppt is my new 1.026 SG instead of 34 ppt, (the closest I could get)

Other than that the things I say are a must if you are going to do custom programming are:

Breakout box - (to control stuff like lights and pumps by toggle switches or buttons or magnets)
Extra Energy Bar 832 - (Can never have enough outlets)
DOS - (The reservoir is good too since they can alert you when low, but I don't have them yet)
Flow monitoring kit - (If you are using UV like me it is very important to dial in your flow)
Magnetic Probe Rack
Trident - (If you are lucky enough to ever get one)

Things that may be cool to have:

Pumps and power-heads - (I already purchased mine or I would have gotten Apex Gear)
PAR Monitor Kit - (I went with the way more expensive Apogee and regret that)
Module for your lights - (I prefer using the AI App so I didn't get this)
DOS Reservoir - (I will be getting this soon also)
Any other cables and or modules to connect your other APEX ready devices

Things you do not need:

Apex Display Module - (Just use you laptop, tablet or phone)
Leak Detector Kits - (I spill water so much that I would be going through these like crazy)
Lunar Simulator LED - (Why??? Just Why???)

At least that's how I see it... ;Happy

Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to add...WELCOME TO R2R!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jgeezy82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went Apex and don't regret it besides the fact that the Salinity Probe cannot be calibrated to match my Refractometer regardless of how many times and different ways I have tried, (others have had the same issue so I think it's a bug). So for me 31.2 ppt is my new 1.026 SG instead of 34 ppt, (the closest I could get)

Other than that the things I say are a must if you are going to do custom programming are:

Breakout box - (to control stuff like lights and pumps by toggle switches or buttons or magnets)
Extra Energy Bar 832 - (Can never have enough outlets)
DOS - (The reservoir is good too since they can alert you when low, but I don't have them yet)
Flow monitoring kit - (If you are using UV like me it is very important to dial in your flow)
Magnetic Probe Rack
Trident - (If you are lucky enough to ever get one)

Things that may be cool to have:

Pumps and power-heads - (I already purchased mine or I would have gotten Apex Gear)
PAR Monitor Kit - (I went with the way more expensive Apogee and regret that)
Module for your lights - (I prefer using the AI App so I didn't get this)
DOS Reservoir - (I will be getting this soon also)
Any other cables and or modules to connect your other APEX ready devices

Things you do not need:

Apex Display Module - (Just use you laptop, tablet or phone)
Leak Detector Kits - (I spill water so much that I would be going through these like crazy)
Lunar Simulator LED - (Why??? Just Why???)

At least that's how I see it... ;Happy

Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to add...WELCOME TO R2R!!!
Awesome feedback!!! I really appreciate it especially since im just in the planning stage and want to do eit right the 1st time. Thanks again

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/ @Marco S a controller is a extremely good tool ( his use differs from mine) I use one controller that controls 2 tanks. It's nice to have control of temp, lighting schedules, pump & powerhead settings & warnings to alert you when something is awry. There is a learning curve to them so if you go this route take your time - info for controllers is scattered all over the internet and you'll have to sift your way through it but the basics are a good starting point. Once you have one, you'll never be without.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're going with GHL on our new Waterbox. Personally didn't like the build quality of Apex (just my preference). Seemed like a kids toy to me compared to GHL. Can't comment on the functionality of it. Congrats on your new Waterbox. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back