Tank birthday, 47+ years

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pictures of my tank one with no blue light and one with,anyway that Tank is 100% ocean water. Before anybody says anything about past posts yes for the past month I have been mixing RODI water with my ocean water because I was running low I also went out and got myself a water making system for emergencies have nothing totally against it I just have a preference. I was able to get myself almost 100 gallons of ocean water last weekend there was an opportunity to take a boat ride while the weather permitted so I jumped at the chance. First thing I did switch out 20 gallons two days later another 20 this morning another 20 so now my tank should be 100% ocean water

3741AEBE-2A08-4582-8273-FD09113B7B3F.jpeg 415ECAD7-A016-4CE1-AA62-DB809A9BDFD5.jpeg BC438DBA-B5D5-46AA-97F3-5F20115D6C6D.jpeg
Nice! What does the SG run on fresh ocean water where you collect?

Corals.com
Corals.com
OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Anything like snails or shrimp or other CUC things in your tank also??
Yes, I have many hermit crabs, an arrow crab, a pistol shrimp, big decorator crab and a lot of snails and green crabs, I forget what they are called but I got a dozen.

Paulie069

View Badges
Reaction score
That's cool....so you don't have to add more salt to raise salinity....just heat up the nsw and dump it?
Pretty much that’s about it the only other step I take is each bucket is poured into another bucket through a very fine strainer did you get any chunky crap that could be in there out hopefully

Paulie069

View Badges
Reaction score
Pretty much that’s about it the only other step I take is each bucket is poured into another bucket through a very fine strainer did you get any chunky crap that could be in there out hopefully
This is 12 full buckets on arrayed/ 6 at a time,, run on a timer kicks in 3x a day for 2hrs,, every two days I take top layer n switch with bottom try keep everything on a rotation

86AAEAF4-6C01-4C2D-B65D-AAA57D25044B.jpeg BBAA6181-E29D-477A-AE70-CDBC0DD040F9.jpeg

OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Paulie, that seems like a lot of water for a few seahorses. :D
I use 12 gallon buckets but I can't really pick them up any more and they don't even have handles on them. I back up to the ocean and pump water into them with a bilge pump. Then I back my car up to my garage and pump the water into 20 gallon vats.

I take a plastic 5 gallon container and fill it with hot water, then float that in the vats to heat the water.
(there is a picture in my book that I know you have :rolleyes:)

I only change water 4 or 5 times a year. :cool:

You get nice clean ocean water which is fantastic. My boat is in Peconic which is a bay fed by a river so the water there is no good at all so I collect in the eastern Sound which is 23 miles across so it is the same as the Atlantic.

But I have to filter it because I collect at the shore and it is filled with chopped up seaweed, worms, bikini tops and sand.

Paulie069

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pictures of my tank one with no blue light and one with,anyway that Tank is 100% ocean water. Before anybody says anything about past posts yes for the past month I have been mixing RODI water with my ocean water because I was running low I also went out and got myself a water making system for emergencies have nothing totally against it I just have a preference. I was able to get myself almost 100 gallons of ocean water last weekend there was an opportunity to take a boat ride while the weather permitted so I jumped at the chance. First thing I did switch out 20 gallons two days later another 20 this morning another 20 so now my tank should be 100% ocean water

3741AEBE-2A08-4582-8273-FD09113B7B3F.jpeg 415ECAD7-A016-4CE1-AA62-DB809A9BDFD5.jpeg BC438DBA-B5D5-46AA-97F3-5F20115D6C6D.jpeg
Here is a post that Morortrendz posted on njreefers site. I had no idea I was doing it because my main focus is always on my seahorses

ADFC2844-DB7C-43B7-B303-EF60B0CE1303.png

OP
Paul B

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My new copperband is swimming in the front now but still not eating. I also notice he has a blank look on his face which is not a good sign.

OK, if you stopped laughing, I am actually serious. Eventually, and if there is a little something wrong with you, maybe PTSD you can tell by the expression on a fishes face almost what they are thinking and mine seems drugged and maybe he was.

I doubt this fish will ever eat and I think he was drugged when he was collected or soon afterward. He also may have been in to strong a dose of some kind of meds that these wholesalers ship fish in.

He is not focusing. A healthy copperband will be looking closely at things for worms. Their eyes will aim slightly forward and you can tell they are thinking about something. This one is not focusing and I can tell he is swimming without thought.
Shoot me. :p

Last edited:

Paulie069

View Badges
Reaction score
My new copperband is swimming in the front now but still not eating. I also notice he has a blank look on his face which is not a good sign.

OK, if you stopped laughing, I am actually serious. Eventually, and if there is a little something wrong with you, maybe PTSD you can tell by the expression on a fishes face almost what they are thinking and mine seems drugged and maybe he was.

I doubt this fish will ever eat and I think he was drugged when he was collected or soon afterward. He also may have been in to strong a dose of some kind of meds that these wholesalers ship fish in.

He is not focusing. A healthy copperband will be looking closely at things for worms. Their eyes will aim slightly forward and you can tell they are thinking about something. This one is not focusing and I can tell he is swimming without thought.
Shoot me. :p
Maybe he had some oregano

Lowell Lemon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Watching fish behavior is the best way to pick healthy fish from the store. The ones that float belly up are the ones you should leave with the store lol. Corkscrewing through the water is a bad sign as well. Banging their heads on the glass or trying to jump out of the tank is a warning as well.

Fish should be inquisitive and checking out their tanks for food opportunities! Eye movement and awareness of surroundings is a good sign. Normal gill movement is a great sign as well. Healthy fish just about tell you they passed their last check up at Walter Reed just like a presidential candidate.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Are you still ordering livestock or are you going to wait it out?

• I'm still ordering and not worried

Votes: 313 33.7%
  • I'm ordering but being cautious about delivery

Votes: 178 19.2%
  • No I am not ordering right now

Votes: 396 42.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 41 4.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors