OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard my closest friend may have the Corona Virus. He has a high fever and is slightly hallucinating.
He also has Parkinsons disease. He will get the test results back tomorrow.
WE have been close friends with them for almost 60 years and before this see them every week.

I am very concerned for them.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard my closest friend may have the Corona Virus. He has a high fever and is slightly hallucinating.
WE have been close friends with them for almost 60 years and before this see them every week.

Hope your friend gets better, I’d worry more about the Parkinson’s being effected by this virus,, thoughts n prayers

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE got a call. His test came back negative for the Corona Virus.

He still has a fever but it seems to be something else. Maybe the regular flu. What a great coincidence.

I am so relieved.

Thank you for your prayers

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE got a call. His test came back negative for the Corona Virus.

He still has a fever but it seems to be something else. Maybe the regular flu. What a great coincidence.

I am so relieved.

Thank you for your prayers
Paul, I'm happy you posted this in several places so MANY folks could be praying today for you and your buddy. I know you're very grateful for the negative test!!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Beth. But no one has to pray for me as I am fine. :cool: Lets pray this is over soon as we have a lot of very sick people.
Here in New York it's not so good but we are taking every precaution we can and stopped going to food stores. We will try to order on line today.
I understand our hospitals are full but they have tents set up outside.

It is cold and raining today so I am not sure how that is working out but I hope it works for all the Virus cases we have.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really need to freshwater dip a fish you need to make sure the temp and pH of the fresh water is the same and if the fish sinks to the bottom, or tries to jump out it needs to be removed fast. Fresh water kills flukes but it also kills tangs, just slower.

It broke my heart but I had to fresh water dip my new copperband because the gill flukes were just to much for her. She lost the flukes and had no problems.
As you may know I am "almost" totally against medication as it rarely turns out well and I truly feel it is what causes most diseases, not the other way around which is why my fish "never" get sick.

I also feel if you want to observe a fish for some reason I would not put it in a small tank, especially a tang, with PVC fittings.
That alone would make a healthy fish sick. I would use red clay bricks or even clay flowerpots. Fish are intensely afraid of anything pure white and won't go near it.
Also if you can see the fish, it can see you. Pvc is also to big. Fish like and need to jam themselves into tight places so other fish such as moray eels don't eat them and they are horrified if they can't feel secure.
In the sea a fish would be eaten instantly if it was in a PVC fitting.

Put a PVC elbow in your reef and see what the fish do. I bet they run and hide. Pure White is a color fish never see and it reflects all the colors of the spectrum. Our fish, in a tank see all of those colors which is frightening, almost like seeing me in a Speedo. :rolleyes:

All our fish live below 30' in the sea and they don't get to see all those colors in one place. Only blue light penetrates there. It's like when I was young and used to go to Disco's.
(I am a great dancer :p) They used to have psychedelic colors brought out by black lights. It was garish and if you have never seen it before, even scary, especially to a fish which may not have ever gone to a disco.

These were below 30' deep. The only reason you see the yellow on the moorish Idol is because of the flash on my camera. Everything else is blue.

See any White PVC in there?

There is a colorful spotted moray eel in the center, but all you see is blue.

In an observation or quarantine tank use blue or some muted color like clay bricks. The clay won't absorb medications and you can make tight holes that make the fish feel secure.

To be successful in this hobby we need to be fish doctors and physiologists so we not only know how they feel physically, but more importantly Physiologically which we often fail to recognize which is the reason for all the disease forums.
Again, just my opinion of course.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today we have over 20,000 cases of the Virus here in my part of Long Island NY

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fingers crossed for your friend Paul, hope he pulls through. This virus is a biatch.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, stay aafe, take every precation for you and your beautiful wife. Please do not apply copper as it has not shown to be effective. Cheeky grin. Love you dearly internet friend! I am so concerned for my east coat reefing buddies...no words but love ya and thinking about yous.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re the first decoration we used in our tanks. When I first got into marines there was no live rock available just dead bleached, usually white coral.

Later a soft off white rock called Tuffa rock appeared. This looked much better and you could if careful carve it into shapes. Unfortunately in saltwater at least it would slowly break down and produce white mud in the tank.

This was not good for undergravel filters. Later on live rock appeared, I say live rock as it was often mostly 90% dead and it smelt horrid like rotten eggs, hydrogen sulfide.

You had to remove the dead crabs and worms and scrub the rock then mature it. Maturation often occurred in the DT with no fish etc in it.

Some would mature the rock in a large container changing the water regular until the nitrite level subsided or the small had reduced significantly. Often you would order a box or 2 of rock and the LFS would ring you to tell you your order had arrived and you got it with the box unopened.

Getting the rock this way meant it was pot luck with what you got along with the quality of it. Sometimes it would be nice, full of holes and interesting shapes but if unlucky it would be little more than solid pieces of rock with little merit in it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember those days well. I also used bricks under my dead rock if I didn't have enough rock and I picked up rock in the sea along with a lot of old asphalt that was dumped in the sea to prevent erosion 80 years before. The stuff was very porous and full of amphipods. Of course asphalt is tar and I wouldn't use it if it was not submerged for so long.

On another note, they are re testing my friend for Corona Virus because he still has a fever and is hallucinating.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah some used bricks and just about any rock found including slate limestone and sandstone.
Hope your friend starts to recover real soon.
We are hearing here in the UK your infection rate in the US is soaring. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am diatoming my tank again. Do I have to? No, I just did it last week. I am starring at the detritus particles going into the intake. This is as exciting as watching paint dry which I did this morning when I painted a wall.....Again.
My fish have no idea why I am doing this again and the tank is not dirty. It is just a total waste of time.

But it is an essential waste of time at a time when I have more time than I need. At this stage of the year I would be working on my boat. Of course it is still shrink wrapped and I can't get in it as that is not an essential part of life.

Well, for me it is but I can't leave my wife alone to long as she doesn't have the enormous amount of totally useless hobbies that I do.
She will just keep vacuuming until she makes a hole in the floor and my couch will fall into my garage. I installed a very powerful "whole house" vacuum that will suck out your ear wax from across the street.

I can take fish pictures, but I already have to many. I can wax my workshop floor, but I did that too. My car is very clean and if I put more wax on it I will slide off the seat.

I can spent my entire life in my workshop/Man cave as I am now but only because she is on the phone with one of her bored friends.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty tidy workshop you have there Paul. I have been tidying mine on and off over the last few days but its borrrrrrrrrring so I do a bit then leave it. I better not take a photo of it at the moment as I would be to embarrassed to. Anyway, I hovered the rooms today so I should be in the good books....note should be not am. :rolleyes:
Instead I am sitting in our lounge watching some US TV programme called Pawn stars which I quite like. My wife likes stuff like Chicago fire and other brainless stuff.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an older picture. usually my bench is so full I can hardly put anything on it. Remember I moved here an year and a half ago so I didn't accumulate as much stuff yet but I did build a lot of closets and drawers which are full. I have been trying to not let the bench get to full but now that the art gallery who sells my stuff is closed, I don't have much room for my overflow steam punk projects. :rolleyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost as bad as my bench, well I had 2 of them and both are full of stuff. I have an old BSA A7ss motorbike in there as well and lots of draws and shelves like you full of all kinds of stuff. :rolleyes:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back